First thing to know: 3D animation, in general, REQUIRES that you learn the fundamentals. There is a high learning curve with 3D animation, but the upside is that once you've gotten a grip on it, the skill allows you to create animation in a number of settings.

Published on 20 Sept. 2011 by Andre Lawrence

2.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy Customer
What you can do with this product is very limited and is more of a teaser for the full product....not worth the money I spent since it can not do nearly half of what it says it can.
Published on 11 May 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Program to Learn 3D Animation. POSER DEBUT: A Critical Review, 20 Sept. 2011
Andre Lawrence (Miami, Florida) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Poser Debut (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)

I have Poser 8 and thought it is tremendous. POSER DEBUT, if I'm not mistaken is introductory version of Poser 2010. If you've used any version of Poser before, this program is a nice upgrade.

About POSER DEBUT:

* You'll need 2.5GB of HD space. You can install the full version or an abbreviated install. (The only difference is that you'd be missing the nude models.)
* Two (2) separate install discs for the Mac OS and Windows.
* There's both a printed USER GUIDE and a QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE (keyboard shortcuts)
* Both the User Guide and Quick Reference is in installed in the App file as pdf's.
* Installation is roughly about 2 minutes.
* Only $50. (You'll see discounts from time to time here on Amazon, but this software is definitely worth it.)

Poser is, in my opinion, the best of the animation softwares that SmithMicro produces. But, be aware, if you're not familiar with 3-Dimensional animation, it is 80% scientific and 20% artistic.

The instruction manuals tells you how the figures, tools and "The Pose Room" operate. The floating menus, excellent. But, in order to get the most out of Poser or any 3D animation, you're going to need to understand the basics of virtual modeling.

If you can get your hands on these books, both will bring you up to speed and also the second book will teach you how to integrate traditional 2D animation with 3D modeling.

3D Art Essentials: The Fundamentals of 3D Modeling, Texturing, and Animation: The Fundamentals of 3D Modeling and Animation
Hybrid Animation: Integrating 2D and 3D Assets

POSER DEBUT is a very good software.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is hard work to learn it, 16 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Poser Debut (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
The name of this software implies that it is an entry 3-D graphics software and it is. There are more advanced versions of this software: Poser 8, Poser Pro, and Poser Pro 2010. Nevertheless, in spite of being an entry software, a novice user like me will have to spend hours learning the ins-and-outs of the various aspects of this software: adding or deleting objects and figures, moving them around, adding colors and other details, rotating the camera to view at different angels and so on. There is a built-in tutorial in the software. It consists of short lessons with text and videos. In addition, there is a 318-page manual in PDF. It is hard work, but I see the potential of this software - the user can create still or animated 3-D graphics to illustrate a text document. It is worthwhile if one is willing to put in the hours to learn it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy Customer, 11 May 2011

1.0 out of 5 stars Really bad programming makes this unuseable, 6 July 2012
This review is from: Poser Debut (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
I bought this from Amazon, and I installed iton my Windows 7 machine, but it simply wouldn't work.

There is a part of the interface in the top right hand corner, which is supposed to contain "libraries." I don't know what it's supposed to look like because it has never contained anything except a bit of text complaining about the lack of a Flash player on my machine. The problem is that I have always had an up to date Flash player. I looked up this bug online, and tried everything, including suppressing possible startup programs, and re-installing Flash, reinstalling it using both Firefox and Explorer. Still nothing. I have updated Flash quite a few times since I bought it, and jumped through many hoops set by the Smith Micro support team who still wouldn't give me a refund. So I gave up, there's only so much effort I'm prepared to put into this. I can only hope it wasn't their intention to dream up more obstacles to forestall a refund.

So that's it - crap software, and support who wouldn't refund me, and who seemed to want to keep hitting the ball back into my court. Using Flash as part of a piece of productivity software is very lazy and dodgy programming, because obviously the continued use of the software is always going to depend on further compatibility and dependency problems further down the line, which cannot be predicted.

If you have Windows 7 or above, I would avoid this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bugged, don't buy this., 7 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Poser Debut (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
Such a shame. I got this today and dived straight in following the tutorials. Within minutes the first bug appeared, applying clothing did not fit correctly, bits of leg showing through pants, hair not aligned correctly and this in the pre-set tutorial. I went online to get the latest patch.. no patch, my software was up to date. Then it crashed me to desktop when I selected the four point view screen (windows 7 64 bit) so that was that, back in its box and back to Amazon, thank God they have a good returns policy. Really guys, do not waste your £30.

Now I am off in search of an alternative that works properly, I will update you if I find one.

1.0 out of 5 stars badly written and unusable, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Poser Debut (PC/Mac) (DVD-ROM)
requires flash, I have flash (just downloaded the latest version) still unable to use it since half the functionality will not load

very poo
do not buy

waste of my money

I want a refund

betting I can't get one.

AVOID AT ALL COSTS

Poser Debut (PC/Mac)
Poser Debut (PC/Mac) by Avanquest Software (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)