Published 19 months ago by Anders

3.0 out of 5 stars isn't the Pathetique played wrongly??
Published 16 months ago by Payer Taxis

4.0 out of 5 stars Interpretation excellent, sound quality not quite up to standards, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Beethoven: Piano Sonatas No.8 'Pathétique', No.17 'Tempest' & No.23 'Appassionata' (Audio CD)
I agree with chewey's review that the interpretation is very good. Clearly five stars in my opinion, but the sound is a bit unbalanced. The upper end of the sound spectrum seems restricted as if a low pass filter has limited the higher register. It makes the sound less brilliant that it deserves to be. I don't think Fliter is to blame for that or the piano (a Bösendorfer?), it is more likely due to a flaw in the recording setup or unfortunate room acoustics.Beethoven: Piano Sonatas No.8 'Pathétique', No.17 'Tempest' & No.23 'Appassionata'

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Beethoven most powerful, 18 Mar 2014
This record was a revelation. I'd read reviews of Ingrid Fliter, suggesting something very special. I'd hardly dared hope for this: deeply insightful readings, true to the smallest instruction in the score, but played with verve, strength, power and breadth of view. Here is a pianist who can deliver a beautiful tone, extraordinary dynamic range, the subtlest transitions and changes of tempo, but without losing sight of architecture and structure. The most familiar music sounds fresh and exciting. The last time I felt so moved and astonished by Beethoven's piano music was when I first encountered Schnabel's playing of the sonatas. And here, the sound quality is first-rate, realistic, clear yet mellow. If you like piano music, Beethoven or have opened this review by accident - buy the disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly Brilliant, 8 Jun 2011
Nostalgia (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This is yet another fabulous album from this delightful pianist (which I decided to download because of a special offer at the time, otherwise I would definitely have purchased the cd). Every note is played with sensitivity and emotion and, although I have tended to associate Beethoven with aggressive and somewhat "noisy" music (after all, he did have much as a composer to be aggressive about)I found the music on this album very relaxing and tasteful, brilliantly performed by this highly talented artiste - a great companion to Ingrid's "Chopin: The Complete Waltzes" album. More please!

3.0 out of 5 stars isn't the Pathetique played wrongly??, 19 May 2013
I'm just listening to this now, and if I'm not mistaken, fliter plays the full grave section in the first movement twice...is that a thing? There's supposed to be a short return to the theme from the grave in the middle of the first mvt, but she plays the full grave, as though the repeat mark was not at the start of the allegro di molto e con brio. is there another version of this music published that I do not know about? Strikes me as odd...

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, 12 Jun 2011
A. M. Bennett (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
best version of No.8 I,ve heard in a long time,she makes it so easy to listen to,it sound,s so rich and smooth,if this was a car it would be a rolls royce....