4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but pricey and flawed
Published 24 months ago by Seren Ade

2.0 out of 5 stars Listen to Customers!!
Published 24 months ago by Nick Blake

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but pricey and flawed, 21 April 2012
Seren Ade (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This cover provides the best fit for a Kindle I've come across. The Kindle Touch slots into a rubberised tray at the back of the case and connects via two small square metal sections on the device back. The fit for this section is like a glove and the protection afforded, excellent. The microfibre lining is appropriately soft and doesn't bobble, but it does get quite deeply imprinted with the Kindle's shape at an astonishingly rapid speed. The cover bends back easily for one handed reading. Perhaps even too easily. The spine is the only section of unreinforced leather on the whole cover and this tends to flop, so that you're essentially forced to fold it back even if this wouldn't be your normal practice.

The light is conceptually a very good thing. Its integrated design is neater than any of the other available solutions and the power sharing with the device itself is definitely preferable to batteries. The distribution of light is slightly uneven, providing a bit less coverage in the upper corners, but what you get is certainly powerful enough to read by in an otherwise darkened room. The angle leaves a little bit to be desired as it tends to shine in your eyes and there's no way to adjust this. The shared power source means that there is a small amount of additional battery drain, but assuming this goes the same way as its slightly smaller sibling, the drain is not as much as leaving wireless connectivity on.

The case is neat and pocket-friendly (unless you're talking about the pocket where your money is kept! - since at just under 30% of the price of a 3G Kindle Touch, and 45% of the wi-fi version this doesn't come cheaply), but it doesn't feel anything like as robust as the Kindle Keyboard case. Instead, the leather is the same smooth leather as on the baby Kindle's cover. It feels soft enough and is nice to hold but it does mark very, very easily indeed.

The other problem I have is the absence of closing mechanism. It's easy enough to resolve this - I'll be using a hair tie (prettier than an elastic band) - but at the price point it's hugely disappointing to find it necessary.

I loved the Kindle Keyboard covers, but don't feel the same attachment to this. It's a slightly damp and expensive squib that protects the Kindle in exemplary fashion at the back and sides but overall hasn't been as well thought-out as it could have been.

2.0 out of 5 stars Listen to Customers!!, 23 April 2012
Nick Blake (London, England) - See all my reviews
Have to concur with other reviewers of both the standard and lighted leather covers. The original case for the keyboard kindle was excellent (although massively overpriced). I had the lighted version and the only downside I found was that the light was in the corner of the case and regardless of what was said in the advertising 'blurb' the lighting was NOT even and was brighter - as you would expect - in the upper right corner. Other than that, the case was sturdy and stylish and did the job very well.
Now with this latest version, you have corrected the lighting issue to some degree by moving it to the centre top of the case but have bizarrely dispensed with two of the best aspects of the original - i.e. the textured leather feel and the simple elastic closing device. The latter, particularly, could have been enhanced by a magnetic clip as many have suggested but as it was it was still fine and certainly better than nothing at all which is what you have now given us. So, as a result, we have a lower quality product yet (predictably) still no reduction in price.
Please, Amazon... You would be well advised to listen to what your customers want. Even those giving 4 and 5 star reviews are saying the same thing. You have enough adverse press at the moment. Might be nice to show there's another side.
I will be replacing my damaged Kindle but I'm not investing such a huge amount of money in a cover that simply isn't worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, victory for function over style, 29 April 2012
What a disappointing product!
If all you want is a cover with light and want to protect your Kindle Touch then maybe this product is for you. But if you're looking for a product that will do all that, enhance the pleasure of owning the kindle touch and is worth 50, then avoid this product like the plague.
My wife has the Kindle Keyboard. The Kindle cover with light for that product not only does the job required but is a lovely item in its own right. Made of sumptuous leather it oozes class and with the Keyboard sitting within the cover, its attractive design is still very visible.
Sadly this product falls well short of that. With plasticised leather it feels considerably cheaper than the keyboard equivalent cover. Within the cover, the Kindle touch is then encased in a plastic frame, which will helping to protect it hides the beauty of the product. Sadly a victory for function over style, where I was expecting a product that did both.
This product feels likes it been designed by the factory rather than a product designer. I am staggered that Amazon has come up with such a poor product to cover their beautiful Kindle Touch, Apple would never make such a mistake. The fact that Amazon then decide to charge 50 for such a product only adds insult to injury.
Consider this product if all you are after is a protective case with a light, avoid if you want more than that. Not surprisingly I have returned the product and hope that Amazon sees sense and develops a replacement soon.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Touch Leather Case (with light), 14 May 2012
Overall the case is very good and the light perfectly adequate for late night or bedtime reading.
However, at 50 Amazon are having a laugh.. The price is nothing other than a rip-off for what you actually get. Yes it is a good case and is exactly what I wanted - but 'value for money' definitely not!!
I wanted a good looking case with integrated light that powers directly from the Kindle and I love the way the Kindle seamlessly fits securely into the case. It offers excellent protection and just looks so much better than the cheaper cases where the Kindle is held in place by elastic straps at each corner.. If this case was 25 or so I would give it 5 stars. But I'm only giving it two - purely as I think the price is extortionate.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful looking and excellent functioning, but ..., 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: Amazon Kindle Touch Lighted Leather Cover, Saddle Tan (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite) (Accessory)
I read the reviews on here and was very interested, possibly a little apprehensive, as to what to expect when my cover arrived.

I have the saddle tan colour. The leather is smooth and of good quality. The inside has a grey felt which is lovely and soft and the kindle sits perfectly in the rubber casing. It looks elegant

The light provides excellent coverage and I don't have a problem with it shining iny eyes.

The downsides for me are:

- Firstly, the leather is easily marked by indentations. I keep my kindle and lighted cover inside a kindle keyboard case when not in use so it is always protected. When it is in use it is in my hand. So where the indentations come from I have no idea;

- Secondly, the felt flattens easily with the shape of the kindle, within a couple of days, I expected it to stay as new. It did with the kindle keyboard cover;

- Thirdly, the colour choice is disappointing. The colours on the whole are boring and quite flat. There are no funky, bold colours and you are limited to only four. I would like to see a nice sky blue, grass green, bright red or even a lively aqua colour. Instead Amazon have gone for quite sickly, boring, staid colours;

- Fourthly, there is nothing to hold the cover closed. I have read the comments regarding books not having anything to keep them closed, to me these arguments are irrelevant as books generally do not cost 169, and pages do not get scratched by your keys. So something to hold it together would have been the icing on the cake for; and

- Lastly, the cost. 50.99 is too much. It's just under half the price of a kindle touch wifi and just under a third of the price of the 3G version. Frankly, it's taking the biscuit and is a rip off. It is taking advantage of what was a captive market. Fortunately some other companies are bringing out cheaper lighted covers in nicer colours for far less money. So I may choose another cover, in a fabulous red.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect really but very expensive, 10 Sep 2012
love reading "marsy" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I cannot fault this and it is far better than the leather cover for the kindle keyboard at the same price. This fits beautifully and is a very snug fit. Also there are no prongs to get bent. It is shiny leather but looks a bit like hard plastic. The light is great for reading in bed and lights up the screen perfectly. I do believe it is a must have if you share a bedroom with anyone. It is very neat and handy to use. I love it, I just feel it is expensive for what it is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, 26 Jun 2012
The Amazon Kindle Cover is a very beautiful item and matches the equally beautiful Kindle Touch it protects. I would have given this item 5 stars except for the fact the leather marks as soon as you look at it!!!! It was scratched within minutes of being put on the Kindle and I wonder what it will look like after 6 months use!

3.0 out of 5 stars looks great but..., 23 Jun 2012
why the rip off price?
When a Kindle touch is such good value how can they justify the price?

There is a similar cover available manufactured by Swees , but I havent seen it on Amazon.
Look on your favourite auction site for one.
They tend to go for less than half the price of this and are very similar , but with a strap and a magnetic button to hold the flap closed

3.0 out of 5 stars very nice but needs improvement, 28 April 2012
Having had a keyboard kindle lighted cover I was looking forward to getting the kindle touch leather cover. I have to be honest i have mixed feelings.

It is sleeker and quite stylish

Although a slightly yellow green it is a lovely colour though it shows creases and marks quite easily when it arrived it looked to be ceased but this was a mark in the leather rather than an any actual damage to the case.

There is no elastic to hold the kindle case shut. This is a big issue for some people and not for others no i dont think it is necessary to close the case shut but I used to flip the elastic round to the back and slip my fingers through it to make it more secure in my hand so I didnt drop it. this is actually more likely to happen with this type of case as the case is very smooth and hard to grip I have infact dropped the kindle several times since getting it (3 days ago) due to it slipping from my grasp and from under my arm where I tucked it to free up my hands. This never happened with the old style case as it was textured and anti slip.

I also have a problem with the light. yes it is lovely and compact and much easier to pull out and then put away than the old style light but I like to lay my kindle down on the bed/table when reading at night or at work and with the new case I am blinded by the light the old light was angled slightly and never caused me a problem however this light causes me big problems and I have sufferd headaches as a result from having the light shining in my eyes. I find i have to find things to prop the kindle up again which is not practical and as it weighs the same as my kindle keyboard I find it rather heavy to hold (I have tendon damage to my thumbs and cannot grip tightly for long without pain)

However I do like the way the kindle touch clips into the new case it is absolutely brilliant and very very secure it works extremely well and is the best thing about the case.

I would give this a 3.5 but as they dont do halves i have dropped it to a 3 anyone who has never had an old style kindle keyboard case will not know of any problems with this case its only those who have to adjust who will.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but expensive, 10 July 2012
Jonathan M. Kingston "Kingston" (Chesterfield UK) - See all my reviews
I think this is a real toss up between this case and all the others on the market. My mother has a different one which the elastic covers the kindle and looks a little irritating.

The hard back fits perfectly however the front doesn't close shut at all so it wouldn't really protect the screen against dropping your. The light however feels like it would fall off after about ten minutes.

The product does feel overall better designed and looks better than all the others I have seen. You could keep the cover shut with an elastic band I guess but it poor that I would have to do that after spending so much. The main flaw for me is how weak the light is.

ARRAY(0xab8f7eac)