5.0 out of 5 stars I love this album!!
So, I've been listening to 'Passive Me Aggressive You' for a couple of weeks now. In fact, since the CD arrived direct from the band's native New Zealand, I've barely played anything else.

The Naked And Famous have been compared to MGMT and Passion Pit. I have MGMT's albums and they're nowhere near as good as this. You find yourself listening to the first...
Published on 23 Jan 2011 by Paul

3.0 out of 5 stars cd
this came very fast on my order very pleased but there was really nothing to protect the case of the cd, when i opened my package the cd case had none of that stuff when you buy a game when its brand new but other than that it had no scratches on it winch i was i was most proud off but over than that it came very fast and now i love the band ^____^
Published 1 month ago by henry howie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Nine Inch Nails and M83 mixed together for the dancefloor, 7 Feb 2013
This review comes from an internet game. You buy an album you've never heard of from a shop. Then you write your impression of it before and after listening to it for the first time.

---BEFORE LISTENING TO IT---

WHY DID YOU SELECT THIS ONE? The band name is quite good. It reminds me of the book and film title The Naked and the Dead. The album title is also quite promising, as it suggests a snarky intelligence in the Steely Dan mould. Then the song titles are okay sounding. Especially 'Punching in a Dream,' 'Spank,' 'Jilted Lovers,' 'A Wolf in Geek's Clothing' and 'Girls Like You.'

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE COVER? It's a colourful pink ball over a drab green hill and tepid white sky landscape photograph. The ball appears to be computer generated using a Commodore Amiga 500 using Deluxe Paint IV (from circa 1991). It hints in an abstract way towards looking like a globe. The colours and shapes within it seem random. There are white country style outlines but they are not confined just to the sphere, they extended over onto the landscape photograph. The cover is kind of awful looking, but so crap that it flips over into being kind of stylish in an anti-stylish way.

WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC ARE YOU REALISTICALLY EXPECTING? Up-tempo indie rock with male vocals. I expect the keyboards to be more important than the guitar. They are on the same record label as The Cure so I expect something slightly Gothic within their modern up to the minute digital sound. I imagine a fairly glassy, glossy, forbidding sound with a male singer who uses his upper range a lot more than his lower voice. White Lies are the sort of band I think they will sound like.

BEST CASE SCENARIO IT WILL SOUND LIKE? Basically a mix of White Lies, New Order and The Cure. Hopefully they have lyrical substance and aren't just all nice sound and no meaning.

WORST CASE SCENARIO IT WILL SOUND LIKE? Drab, dated guitar based indie rock by rote - as personified by the Oasis school of no imagination.

HIGH, LOW OR MIDDLING EXPECTATIONS? Fairly high.

---AFTER LISTENING TO IT---

WHAT DID IT SOUND LIKE? I saw Chase and Status on TV play at the Download music festival. This band reminds me of them. It's sort of like calmer, more settled dance music threaded with heavy metal loud bits. To start with it was rather too ravey for me with harsh, abrasive electronics serrated into the tracks. It felt sort of random, like they were sabotaging the nice bits on purpose with these horrible moments. After the first three or so songs they calmed down and started to go down a more fitting, quasi-ambient, shoegazer mood direction. They were still loud but the abrasive parts didn't seem so out of place. The vocals are about 66% female, and 34% male, with lots of reverb on the voices. There is an 80s vibe to the music with only a tiny grain of Gothic in there.

DID YOU LIKE IT? It's going to take a few listens for me to form a solid opinion on them. It's not the type of music that you can form a definitive opinion on after only one listen. My gut feeling is that there are five or six good songs, but the rest is filler that I could happily live without. I don't care for the harsh, spiky bits. I feel they are really an ambient shoegazer band with an 80s style, but no one has pointed this out to them as they insists on using electronics like heavy metal musicians. They should, in my opinion, be caressing my ears with pretty sounds, not trying to hurt them.

DID IT SATISFY, SURPASS OR FAIL YOUR EXPECTATIONS? For the most part they didn't match my expectations so this is a moot question. I guess they more met my expectations than failed them or surpassed them.

WHAT ARE THE BEST/WEAKEST SONGS?

1. "All of This" 3:55 (5 out of 10 stars)

2. "Punching in a Dream" 3:58 (5 out of 10 stars)
Too ravey for my tastes.

3. "Frayed" 3:46 (5 out of 10 stars)

4. "The Source" 0:48 (5 out of 10 stars)
It's just an instrumental intro for the next song. There isn't even a pause between the tracks so as far as I'm concerned they are the same song.

5. "The Sun" 3:56 (7 out of 10 stars)
I get a Kid A era Radiohead vibe from this one. Specifically `Everything in Its Right Place.'

6. "Eyes" 4:43 (7 out of 10 stars)
The guitars reminded me of something at the edges of my consciousness. At first I was getting images from the film Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist (2008), which brought to mind `After Hours' by We Are Scientists (it was on the soundtrack). Then it hit me. `Kim and Jessie' by M83.

7. "Young Blood" 4:06 (6 out of 10 stars)
Very M83.

8. "No Way" 5:29 (8 out of 10 stars)
Some of it's very pretty. Quite epic feeling.

9. "Spank" 4:10 (4 out of 10 stars)
First half is a tuneless mess. Okayish second half.

10. "Jilted Lovers" 3:15 (4 out of 10 stars)
Seems undercooked, like the song hasn't been completed.

11. "A Wolf in Geek's Clothing" 3:14 (4 out of 10 stars)
Seems undercooked, like the song hasn't been completed.

12. "The Ends" 1:49 (3 out of 10 stars)
Iffy ambient interlude that doesn't work.

13. "Girls Like You" 6:04 (6 out of 10 stars)
A proper song with straightforward, traditional songwriting, but not a great one.

Overall 6 out of 10 stars.

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS? You'll have to get back to me later for a proper answer, but for now I would say yes. They are quite interesting and there are some good songs on the album.

PLEASE DESCRIBE AND SUM IT UP IN ONE SENTENCE. Nine Inch Nails and M83 mixed together for a rave dancefloor (abrasive rave style electronics over shoegazer ambient music).

ANY OTHER COMMENTS? I'll have to give it another bunch of listens. Could be brilliant, could be average? If nothing else there are definitely a few good songs here.

---A MONTH OR TWO LATER---

HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE PLAYED IT? About four or five times as an album and a little bit on shuffle with other music.

HAS THE ALBUM IMPROVED OR WORSENED WITH TIME? It's gotten better. The so-called 'rave' sounds now sound more of a piece with the rest of the music. I now accept them as an abrasive band and not as some sort of mellow ambient group. I like the album and I would recommend it.

ANY PREVIOUSLY UNNOTICED SONGS NOW A NEW FAVOURITE? Nothing comes to mind.

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out in case it's a picture disc!, 3 April 2012
Poppanik (Lanarkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In short; it's an okay album. But I'm not writing this to let you know that... I'm sure I'll not write anything that anyone else hasn't already. However, I advise that if you're considering buting this on Vinyl that you have a quick check to, well check that you're not getting a picture disc version. I say this as I'm assuming that anyine buying this on vinyl is doing so as they're looking for that better sound one gets from this medium. The issue with the picture disc is quite considerable surface noise. Admittedly you can't really make it out during this quite loud, pop-tastic album, but you'll know it's there and it'll bug you.

4 Star album minus a star for the reduction in sound quality. That said; it does look pretty cool when you play it, but who plays vinyl because of the way it looks while playing?

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome..., 18 April 2011
Well, I only really started listening to these guys a few months ago.At first I wasn't sure if I liked their sound but now I can't get enough.The album is great and worth every penny.All the songs have their own little zest and I like all of them.I listen to it 24/7.It really gets you in an inspirational mood.If you aren't sure about buying it, I'm telling you buy it!Support this band so they can keep on going.They're amazing!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it says, 12 April 2012
This is not what it says. It's described as a deluxe box set, when in fact it's a cheap and small cardboard with the main album plus the two EPs inside. No hard cover, no jewel case, no good digipack, nothing like that. I seriously wouldn't have bought this item if I had known this previously. Go for the regular jewel case cd, people, forget about this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 15 April 2011
Excellent album, listen to this a lot on my headphones at work (I'm a Graphic Designer) really good to work to & great for the car too! definitely worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 12 April 2011
Wow, packed with fresh festival filled summer tunes, this Kiwi band is heading upwards at a pace. If you haven't heard of The Naked and Famous yet, they'll no doubt be bursting onto a station near you soon!

1.0 out of 5 stars Picture disc squashed nonsense, 21 Mar 2011
This discs sounds appalling; its a picture disc for looking at and not playing. Picture discs sound rubbish they always do and always will! If I wanted a piece of art I'd have ordered a picture! Then the mastering is also an absolute disgrace, AM radio has more dynamics than this squash! The vinyl is just a low volume pressing of the 'hard limited' CD master, shame on you UMG!

Its a shame because I think I like the sound of this band, just wish I could hear them!!!

Right where's theAmazon 'RETURN' icon :-( this is going back as officially 'Faulty'

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›