4.0 out of 5 stars Getting there...
Ignore people who say Max has been churning out the same album since the Sepultura split. There's been a really noticable shift in the Soulfly output away from nu metal and towards a much more thrashy sound. I'm the first to admit his music since Sep has been hit and miss, but I don't regret buying any album he's put out.

This is a good album - the tracks are...
Published on 29 April 2011 by Mr. H. C. R. Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars A good record from the mighty brothers
Published on 30 Mar 2011 by Bunk Moreland

3.0 out of 5 stars A good record from the mighty brothers, 30 Mar 2011
Let's get the Sepultura reference out of the way first. Arise, Chaos AD and Roots are the best things Max Cavalera has ever recorded. Everything post Roots has been enjoyable and I always get excited about each new release - whether Soulfly or Cavalera Conspiracy - but they are not significant in the way those classic albums were. However I am enjoying Blunt Force Trauma immensely - more than Inflikted. The songs are just consistently better throughout the album. In fact I like them all except Rasputin which is rather bland. Lyrically you know what you're getting but I feel strangely warmed by the quaintness of Max's sometimes amusingly juvenile vitriol. In other words I know they're a bit silly but that's ok - I can't imagine other words being put to such brutal music. Iggor is a fantastic drummer but I feel the production somewhat mutes the impact of them on this album - a shame as i eternally long for some Territory tribal mayhem once more. The songs tend to have a thrashy verse / groove chorus format which works well. And some of the groovy riffs are indeed splendid. Marc Rizzo's frantic soloing is my only big niggle here. Yes, he's technically very proficient etc etc but at times his solos just seem very random. They squall and squeal and stretch and are manic and frantic etc but I am often left with the feeling that they don't really fit in with the song. When he drops back to support Max's ferocious rhythm work with inventive licks its so much more effective. That said I really like BFT and will be listening to it much more. It may even stretch to 4 stars after a week or two. Long live King Max!

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting there..., 29 April 2011
Mr. H. C. R. Allen "mhcra" (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews

This is a good album - the tracks are consistently strong with a blend of thrash verses and groove metal and hardcore choruses. On first listen, I thought the lyrics suffered from the same old Soulfly problem of being rushed and simplistic. After a few listens I realised they weren't actually all that bad.

My criticisms of Blunt Force Trauma? My understanding (from an interview with Igor) is that the album is the result essentially of a 4 hour jam in the studio. If that's even partially true, it's an impressive achievement. However I can't help but wish that Max would ditch soulfly and put some real work into the next CavCon album with Igor. Take a year out and really sweat over it. The results could be immense.

Also, Marc Rizzo's riffs and rythmn playing are undoubtably brutal and innovative. But he seems to use the same eastern sounding scale for alot of his high register lead lines which sometimes works, but sometimes doesn't. Mixing it up would be good.

Overall I'm stoked with this album and looking forward to it being the soundtrack to my summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
Silvio Garcia (Blairgowrie, Scotland) - See all my reviews
love it

4.0 out of 5 stars Blunt Force Punishment to the ears!!!, 29 Mar 2011
Following on from the death metal awesomeness that was Inflikted I waited with excitement for the follow up to it. Firstly we get a recent Soulfly album 'Omen' which for some bizarre reason received mixed reviews. And hot on the feels of this we get the new Cavalera Conspiracy album.

Well I decided to order the standard edition of Blunt Force Trauma as I prefer my cd's in Jewel cases and not the easily damaged digipaks that fall to pieces if it's one of your favourite albums. Well two days before it's release date I received BFT. I couldn't wait to put it on my player and boy are we rewarded with a gem of an album!!!

Blunt Force Trauma doesn't reinvent the wheel of heavy music but what it does deliver is 11 tracks of face pummelling, ear damaging thrash/death metal which rather than continues the blueprint that was Inflikted and also harks back to the Brothers Sepultura-thrashesque days with a modern twist.

Igor's drumming is brutal and Max's voice is as aggressive and barking as well as he ever has. You feel that this album is all about both Brothers as they are so dominant on it.

Favourite tracks so far is Lynch Mob, Torture, Killing Inside and Genghis Khan!

In fact I love this album so much that I have now ordered the special edition copy too for the bonus tracks and dvd!!! And yes I said that I did not like digipaks!!!

Above all this album is not to be analysed too much into fine details and not to be compared to their past glories in Sepultura. If you like listening to heavy music and the work that the Cavalera Conspiracy have done in the past you will love this!!! Believe me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brutal, 15 April 2011
Anything with Max and Igor has my vote because they are very talented musicians and always deliver 1 stunning album after another. Blunt Force Trauma smacks you around the head with a hammer and doesn't stop until theres a big mess on the floor (in more ways than 1!) Stand out tracks include Warlord and Torture. If you're on the RoadRunner mailing list you'll already know the joys of the single Kiling Inside- if you don't...where the hell have you been? The album also comes with a special dvd of CavCon live so its great value for money. So whether you're a Sepultura and/or a CavCon fan thats irrelevant. The fact is this is a stonker of an album and you should get it added to your collection!

1.0 out of 5 stars Huge disappointment, 3 April 2011
T. Jones (York) - See all my reviews
We all remember Cavalera-era Sepultura and let's face it, they were awesome, but this offering just doesn't deliver. As with the first Cavalera Conspiracy album and everything Soulfly have released, it is Max's usual mixture of thrash/death metal/hardcore on offer here and it doesn't work that well, sounding incredibly disjointed at times. The cover of Black Sabbath's Electric Funeral is the best track on this album and even that has been done better by other bands. Fans crying out for a reunion of the original Sepultura line-up may as well give up: If it ever happened, it would probably sound like this and what's the point of that? We should remember the old stuff fondly and Max should move on and stop trying to live on past glories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blunt Force Trauma Rocks!, 1 May 2011
Soulfly & Cavalera Conspiracy always turn out full-on, no frills, what I like to call 'proper' metal. Who is the reason for this..... Max Cavalera of course! The man is an absolute rock legend. It amazes me how he keeps on churning out such consistent levels of metal.

Anyway, this album, as with Inflikted .....ROCKS. Right from the start with 'Warload' you get the message. The album has a classic thrash metal sound with a leaning to death metal. The vocals are consistently gutteral and harsh, Max is the best in the business at this type of singing. The drumming is at the high standard you would expect from Iggor and provides a thumping backbone during the periods of frenzy that often happen.

I love the lyrical structure of the songs. They are written in short phrases and not sentences and this allows Max to really bark them out giving fantastic venom. The lyrical approach allows the instruments take the same short, sharp approach, there is no meandering, gental guitar noodling on here - lovely.

Marc Rizzo's lead guitar work is awesome. He has a very distinctive style which sounds slightly off-key and works amazingly. He is an awesome shredder, one of the best around at the moment.

Finally the live DVD is well worth paying for. The visual and sound quality is amazing and way above what I expected. It includes some early Sepultura covers as a bonus.

If you like your music heavy you should buy this. I recommend you pay the little extra and get the DVD. That is worth buying on its own if you are a fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album!, 2 April 2011
I thought Inflikted was great, but this new offering has so much more to offer. There's just a lot more to it. Firstly, I think there is a greater emphasis on the guitar playing, which gives it a more thrashy feel. It still has the same drive and pace as the previous album, and still has the use of synthesised electronic bits, though this has been toned down (no bad thing, in my opinion). I also welcome the addition of 'Electric Funeral' which snuck in at the end without my noticing when I pre-ordered it. This album is fantastic and best played at cacophonous volume!

So why four stars rather than five? The answer is simple: once you notice, as I have, that many of the choruses of different songs are just disyllabic screams, it gets a bit irritating. What I mean is, it's fine, and I was blown away by the opening track 'Warlord,' but a lot of the choruses are the same; I couldn't help thinking they might've varied it a bit. The two-syllable chant can be heard in: Warlord, Torture, Lynch Mob, Thrasher, and Target, so it's not on every song, but perhaps a few too many.

Overall, a ferocious album, and a must-buy for any fan of the Cavaleras.

4.0 out of 5 stars A present, 6 Dec 2013
cannot comment it was a present for my Grandson, it arrived on time, I would think as he requested it he was pleased with it