Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 29 May 2011
This was a really fabulous book. It was such an easy, light read, perfect for a holiday book. I read it within two sittings because I just couldn't put it down and, although I could really predict what was going to happen, I still wanted everything to work out at the end and I just had to find out. A really enjoyable read. Haven't tried any of the cupcake recipes yet but I shall because they sound divine too.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I loved this book! It's the story of Issy Randall, who is made redundant from her city job. She's a fantastic baker, just like her grandfather before her, who is her inspiration, and so she decides to open a cupcake cafe with her redundancy money.

This is such a lovely book. It fits in with all those dreams we all have of opening our own little business, and I was rooting for Issy all along to succeed, to dump her useless, preening boyfriend and get on with making her life what she wanted it to be.

A lot of the chapters had some really lovely sounding recipes at the beginning and I'm going to try some of them for myself.

I thought this book was well-written with some frivolities, and some serious parts. I raced through it and enjoyed every minute I spent reading it. I understand there will be a sequel at Christmas and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Fantastic!
on 3 February 2013
I was expecting more from this Jenny Colgan novel. The plot is predictable and reading it gives the impression that all that young English women think about is getting old and fat. Issy, the main character, spends half the novel obsessing that 32 is really old and that she'd never get married and have children, which I found very depressing.
on 19 January 2013
I enjoyed this book but wished I'd had the paperback version instead of Kindle. The reason? All the lovely recipes at the start of each chapter. I would have had easier access to them and started baking!! Nice characters and easy reading. Are there really such nice people about and small pockets of urban living?
on 2 October 2012
I really looked forward to reading this after so many rave reviews; sadly I just couldn't get into it. I found the writing style too slow and lack lustre - sorry, it just wasn't for me. Note to self: download an excerpt before purchase.
on 18 May 2011
WOW!!! I absolutely loved this novel, it hooked me in from the first page and kept me reading through to the end. The main character, Issy, is very passionate about her baking and after being made redundant realises her dream of opening her own cafe...she falls in love with the man of her dreams and is surrounded by amazing you a warm fuzzy feeling!

Jenny Colgan includes a recipe at the end for vanilla cupcakes with vanilla butter icing and it inspired me to make these cupcakes for me and my family...they are ABSOLUTELY HEAVENLY!! 10/10 for this novel!
on 11 May 2015
This is the story of thirty-something Issy who decides to invest in a small shop, which she renovates, and turns into a café that specialises in cupcakes. The main part of the book is about the way she gradually builds up her business. It also includes a low-key romance, as well as tension when her ex-boyfriend tries to ease his way back into her life... and several rather stereotyped subplots.

I don’t mind light and fluffy writing, and I enjoyed the cupcake recipes, which appear at the start of each chapter, though some are a bit silly. But I was irritated that the viewpoint keeps switching from person to person, sometimes several times within one chapter.

I also got a bit bored with the lengthy details about how Issy and her new friend Pearl go about renovating the cafe, and the various equipment and ingredients needed.

However, around half-way through, the book become more interesting, and various sub-plots start to come to life. I became more interested in Issy and a few of the more believable characters too, although there were rather too many caricatures. It felt as if the author wanted to make some serious points but I wasn't sure what they were; she makes light of healthy eating and also of obesity; she lumps together people from different social backgrounds, too.

There's not too much bad language, and no details of bedroom scenes, so those are good points; however I was a bit irritated by the epilogue, which seemed to assume that readers would not already know how to make cupcakes. I found that rather condescending; then again, I’m not really the target audience for this kind of book.

It would make good holiday reading, and it’s evidently very popular, but I didn’t think this as good at the other books I’ve read by Jenny Colgan.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Sometimes I finish a book and the first question I ask myself is why didn't I read this sooner? This is one of those books. An absolutely fantastic book which has been on my to read list ever since its release but one that I have never got round to reading. I have never read a Jenny Colgan book before so didn't know what to expect, I found the book to be a very enjoyable read which unusually for chick lit, wasn't just written following the main character but also let us see things from the point of view of other characters. I don't know whether I would've liked this book to be written in the first person as I felt like I knew Issy despite the book not being written from her POV.

I found the recipes to be a nice touch and whilst I loved cooking in school (I was the only male in the class) I haven't tried any of them but some of them did sound delicious. The whole cafe did in fact and I would love to waste a morning in there reading books and eating cake. The area just sounded so cosy and homely, this nice little cafe tucked away in the middle of a busy city. The cast of characters were fantastic as well, especially Helena and Pearl. Of course this wouldn't be chick lit without the obnoxious boyfriend alongside the nice, plain man who the main character is obviously going to end up with. The bad guy here being Graeme and the man waiting in the wings being Austin. That's the thing with chick lit, it's easy reading but more often than not the reading is too easy and you find yourself knowing how the book will pan out whilst reading it. It's still a very enjoyable read too.

The scenes with Issy's grandfather are heartbreaking. There are some lovely scenes between the two of them however and the recipes he sends to Issy are quite funny the way they are written. Issy is a fantastic character and one I loved reading about. The start of the book was a bit slow going, and predictable as the reader knows the cafe is going to be a roaring success so it was just a bit like 'get on with it' for the first hundred or so pages. And there is lots of comedy in this book which is what you want with a chick lit read, plenty of LOL moments and also moments which would totally not happen in real life but which again are par for the course with chick lit. I always say fiction can push the boundaries of realism especially in written form.

Overall a fantastic, enjoyable sugar filled read which I reccommend to everybody, especially fans of Sophie Kinsella. I bought Colgan's latest book (even though I don't like Paris) and the Rosie Hopkin's one I just don't know whether to read the Cupcake Cafe Christmas book now or wait till nearer Christmas! However I really want to catch up with Issy again so I can't see myself waiting that long to read it! Also having looked at Jenny Colgan's other books there are a few on there I will definitely be reading.
on 5 February 2012
It's taken me a while to buy this book after reading The Good The Bad The Dumped and if I'm being really honest finding it disappointing I was reluctant to try another book by this author but I am so glad I did!! Firstly it was the cover that appealed to me I'm a sucker for pink and girly and this book is so pretty. I found myself picking this book up again and again in shops just based on it's prettiness!The story follows Issy Randall and her journey in setting up a cupcake cafe. Issy is a really loveable character and I found her to be so lovely to read your heart is really with her every step of her journey! Issy has to work really hard thro the book not just for the cupcake cafe but in her personal life too from her arse of a boyfriend to watching a family member battle a awful illness. The character of Gramps was such a touching character to read and I think his character was written in such a way that he will touch many people. There are so many characters in this book but they are all easy to follow and beautifully entwined in the story.I completely hated the character the Graeme he was written so brilliantly that I was totally irritated by him and wanted him to get his "just desserts" I loved that each chapter started with a recipe and I thought this was a gorgeous touch and I have to admit im very tempted to try and bake some of them as they sound so mouthwatering. It for me added a lovely personal touch to the story. Overall I am so happy that i gave this book a chance! It's totally changed my opinion and I will be looking out for Jenny's next release. Be warned tho if your trying to diet this book is a extremely hard work because it's so deliciously good!!
on 13 January 2012
What can i say well done to jenny Colgan, she really has created a little gem with this book, everything about it got me and if i am honest i think it was truly down to the story line, i mean isn't it every girls dream to start a business or do something with a talent they hold and who of us really ever dares, well Issy did and it was a journey that i absolutely loved to share with her. It was a gamble and it was hard but she did it, i wish i had her courage. The tangled love story in this is just a gripping and was so frustrating as a reader as you wish and want throughout that Issy would see what is right in front of her but i suppose that is why it become so gripping as you just cant help but want her to choose Mr right . This book was not only impressive for it's characters, story lines, twists and forever growing relationships but it was also just enjoyable as it provides recipes for which the reader can use and create there own little cupcake haven, in the story these recipes are given to Issy by her grandfather who i have to say you cant help but fall in love with, as he is just as passionate about her venture as she is. and you truly do love there relationship. This is a fantastic read a modern story that i have to say any dreamer would love to read, if u have ever dreamed of creating your own little haven and showing the world your talent then this is for you without a doubt read this book it really is fantastic, i read this in a day, even on lunch at work and breaks as i just could not put it down. well done