5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement Cable
Published on 29 Aug. 2012 by D.J. Graham

1.0 out of 5 stars "This accessory may not be supported"
I have had two of these leads for my iPhone 4. The first one packed in within a week, but I got it replaced free of charge. When the replacement came it worked for about a month and continues to say 'this accessory may not be supported' safe to say I will not be purchasing another one. Not impressed.
Published 11 months ago by Hannah Donnelly

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Replacement Cable, 29 Aug. 2012
This review is from: AmazonBasics USB Charging and Synchronising Cable for Apple iPod 4, iPod nano 6, iPad 3, iPhone 4S and Previous Apple Models 1 m / 3.3 Feet Black (Electronics)
I chose this cable after deciding to go for something that wasn't attempting to be an Apple like product because I have used the cheaper Apple knock-off cables before and they have always been flimsy and poorly made - which is reflected in their price. And while the price of the cheaper replacement cables may seem more attractive, the Amazon Basic cable offers a more sturdy, reliable and sleeker product.
With a product such as this you don't want to have to be spending a fortune on finding something that works. The cheaper knock-off cables may sway you with their low prices, but let's face it paying a few more pounds for something that you know will work and will continue to work without falling to pieces with regular use is worth it. While their are more expensive alternatives on the market (and cheaper ones too), Amazon have offered a good quality middle ground product which does exactly what it says on the tin without looking like a tacky Apple wannabe product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon cables are way better., 14 Feb. 2015
The cables Apple give are horrendous. They don't last very long because the quality of the material is so poor. However with this cable, it feels sturdy, strong yet beautiful. Ok I will give this one to Apple the iPod Nano cable I received back from 2007 was strong and it could still be used. But the new ones - a few months and there gone! I'm shocked to say Amazon make better cables than the original company!

In my photo, the Amazon Cable is on the left side, the newer 30 pin cables are in the middle and the older ones are on the far right. Tell me which one looks sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality - will look for Amazon Basics products in future, 9 Oct. 2012
Having had a couple of cheap cables delivered that did not work, stopped working or simply were so badly made that that they did not connect properly, I eventually decided to try the Amazon Basics version of this cable (even if it was the wrong colour!). The superior build quality was apparent as soon as I open then product, quality cable, well made connectors that just fit snugly without requiring undue force to push it in, and it seems to charge faster than the last one I had that works - perhaps because the wire in the cable is a better quality.

It has taken me a while to realise that cheap cables are not a saving. I am very pleased with this cable, and tempted to by a set of Amazon Basics cables for other USB devices as they are distinctive and clearly a well engineered product.

1.0 out of 5 stars "This accessory may not be supported", 14 Aug. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value for the price, 9 Aug. 2014
Bought this nearly two years ago, and they're still running strong. Not had a single problem with them so far and the quality is very impressive. I highly recommend getting these instead of the Apple manufactured ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly better than the original!, 5 Jan. 2014
In a house where the white Apple cables constantly mysteriously hide themselves (usually in clusters) under a teenager's bed, I wanted cables that didn't look like Apple cables.
Since every Apple product is supplied with it's own cable, I have no idea why this should be.
As with other reviewers, I had tried the cheap-and-nasty 'genuine Apple' knock-offs but they tend to 'fail' very quickly and are ultimately a waste of money.
These Amazon essential cables are great! Dare I suggest that they are possibly better than the genuine Apple cables? Yes I do! They are really well made and work perfectly...
Now, what I need is a way to prevent them from hiding under a teenager's bed... :-)

2.0 out of 5 stars Looked like good quality but didn't last long, 6 Jan. 2014
JimmyAK (Stafford, England.) - See all my reviews
When this first turned up I thought it looked better quality than the original, particularly where the cable joined the plugs. All was well for a few weeks and then the connection to my iPad became intermittent, and then completely unreliable. The plug itself didn't seem to be a snug fit for the iPad socket. Given the cost of the cable I didn't bother with a return and I'm not sure I'd try another. I'll stick with the Apple original from now on; they may not be perfect but they last longer than this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Connects to many iDevices reliably, though not perfect, 10 Feb. 2015
Mark Brown (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This USB to Apple Dock connector cable is an acceptable replacement from Amazon. It will connect to and charge up iPads, iPhones and iPods of every variety using the older 'Apple Dock' connector. It works with any standard USB charger including the high-current iPad one.

However, the connector often comes loose from the different devices which I use it in, this can be especially irritating when charging. Nothing quite so annoying as coming back to your iPhone after a few hours of charging to see that the slightest inadvertent nudge has disconnected the cable and stopped the charge. I am not sure if this is down to design or Amazon's choice of materials, as it has done this from the first day. The connector is also a bit tubby and struggles to fit through my iPhone's hard case, which thus must be removed each time I wish to charge or sync it.

Though, to the cable's credit, it has lasted nearly two years. That's longer than I have known for any cable of this kind! So Amazon seem to have done at least one part right. Finally, the price they have managed is competitive, so it's hardly out of reach for most.

TLDR: A very long lasting cable at a good price but easy to knock out from your iDevice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks cheap but it's otherwise perfect!, 12 Jan. 2015
I've bought inexpensive (cheap!) Apple charge cables before and found that they take 3x as long to charge my iPad 2 - so slow that I have to turn it off and leave it overnight if I want to charge it fully, so I was half expecting this to be the same.

I'm pleased to say that, this being the first AmazonBasics item I've bought, it's given me enough confidence to buy AmazonBasics stuff in future. The cable looks very plain and unassuming - in fact it looks cheap and a bit nasty. However it charges at the same speed as the OEM apple cable did and actually FEELS a lot sturdier. The Apple cables are famous for stretching and falling apart near the plug, but I can't see that happening with this unless I go Rambo out in the back garden ans use it as a makeshift tripwire for when the Mrs is pegging the washing out. (Hmmmm, I might try that as an ultimate strength test. More on that later....)

If apple want £35 for a replacement cable that is only going to pull apart again, I think I can ignore the cheap appearance of this for £4.99!

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than some other replacement cables, 20 Feb. 2013
Well I've tried a few replacements after the whole 'bending and ripping of the original Apple cable at both ends' issue. I really don't know why that happens to the Apple ones - you'd think they'd be stronger... But that's beside the point. This cable is really good. The wire is a different sort of material to the Apple ones and the "Apple look-a-like" ones - shinier which makes it look and feel stronger and so far it appears to be. I've had problems with other replacements suddenly deciding to "not support" the accessory for charging, but this is consistently good. I have had issues getting it to recognise devices when I plug them into my computer, but to be honest I think that's my computer - it's done it with other USBs. Need some new ports I think! But yeah, back to this: if you're not bothered about it not looking like an Apple cable, get this one because it's really good - it's actually better than an Apple one in my opinion.