Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had a number of cables from Amazon Basics now and I usually review them with five stars. I'm going to have to break a habit with this cable - not because of quality, because there aren't any problems there, but because of its design. I appreciate that some people may want coiled cables because they take up the slack between the two devices and don't leave unnecessary lengths of wire dangling, but in my opinion the resistance on this coil is too great. You can stretch it out to approach the 2m that is advertised, but it will always want to return to its coiled shape. For connecting two larger devices that's not going to be a problem, but many audio devices are light enough to be slowly pulled out of position once you let go and step away. If you're looking to bridge a gap of around 1m, you'll probably do fine, but if you want anything approaching 2m in length, you'd be better with a straight cable.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
AmazonBasics Coiled 3.5 mm Stereo Audio Cable with Stretched Length of 6.5 Feet / 2 m Black

I chose this cable as I like to listen to my mp3 player in the car by attaching a cable from said MP3 player to the car stereo. The cable works well, the sound quality is great but there is a hang-up.
The cord is too rigidly coiled, normally I lay my mp3 on the passenger seat, but using the AmazonBasic Coiled Cable is too rigidly coiled. The MP3 simply dangles off the stereo, which is both annoying and, I reckon, unsafe. It bashes against my leg or the gear stick. Not conducive to safe driving.

That said, and this may sound daft, but the cable feels like a quality piece of kit.

Just loosen the cord please. Dangles are bad Amazon.

However the packaging was a breeze, a little cardboard box. No blinking plastic packages to slice your finger open. all recyclable. Nice one Amazon.
VINE VOICEon 26 January 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This cable is perfect for connecting my mp3 player to external audio sources such as car stereo or home hi-fi. There's not much else to say about the product except that its coiled cable is a practical touch, as it prevents the annoying tangling that happens with straight cables.
on 1 March 2015
I like to hook up my phone to my car stereo and find that doing so with a cable is more reliable than Bluetooth, and saves battery on my phone - meaning I don't have to have it plugged in constantly and have twice as many wires strewn across the car.

I've gone through quite a few cables, from Skullcandy ones, to cheap ones, and this is by far the best. All the cheap ones I've tried completely disintegrated far too quickly - sound would stop coming out within a few months, at best.

These are different - just like the AmazonBasics charging cables, these are much more sturdy than their counterparts and I've been using this twice a day for months and not even a sign of wear has appeared yet.

The coil is actually one of my favourite features as it stops the cable dangling on the floor - especially good when there's someone in the passenger seat. Some reviews have said they think it's too tight - but mine isn't, the phone reaches the passenger seat or wherever else I put it with ease and doesn't put any strain on the phone or the coils. I'm not sure where others are trying to put it!

When you can get cheap cables for so little, this seems a bit more expensive, but it's definitely worth it. It will far outlast them and does a better job for its whole lifetime.
on 29 April 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I thought this might be useful as I have various speakers around the house which I can plug my MP3 player into. For some I can use a short cable for others I need something longer and the longer ones always seem to contrive to get themselves tangled up (Newton's first law of wires or something - any wire more than 20cm long will wrap itself into a knot, especially if a) it is part of a headphone set and b) when you are in a hurry).

Anyway this has got to be tangle free so that's a bonus. The sound quality is fine. However the price for the tangle free bonus is that the tension in the coil is high which means that virtually any MP3 player is likely to be dragged around by the wire. So I end up wedging the player against a heavier object to hold it in position. It may well be that with the passage of time the strength of the coil will diminish. Although this is a drawback it seems to me to be a lesser drawback than tangled wires.

Simple frustration free non finger slicing packaging from Amazon is another good point. Can't for the life of me figure out why other manufactures haven't taken heed of customer comments on the difficulty (and danger) of getting into some blister packs. So well done Amazon.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 May 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been thinking of purchasing an audio cable for quite some time now, as this is the only method I have of connecting my iPod to my car stereo system. I had very nearly purchased a normal, uncoiled cable, when I noticed this one, and now I'm glad I didn't! The main advantage of this coiled cable is that it prevents cables getting tangled together and looking like a general mess and for this reason alone, I'd certainly recommend it.

I've had experiences with a number of AmazonBasics cables and I've never been able to find fault with the quality of any of them. The only downside I do have with this cable is that the coiling is quite tight, so if the device it is plugged into isn't well secured, you wouldn't be able to stretch the cable that much without the device flying across the table! Of course, in my view, this is a minor price to pay, especially when it eliminates the pain of having to untangle cables.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are limits to how much any coiled cable can be extended and it usually depends on how tightly wound the coils are. Unfortunately this cable is very tightly coiled meaning that although the advertised length is 2.0m, in practice anything more than 1.0m puts a good deal of tension in the wire and on the connectors - I found that my lighter weighted equipment was pulled by that tension, and in one case the connector was pulled out of the socket. True, that does mean the cable stays coiled and saves space but from experience I know that if you strain your wires then eventually they will fail. For that reason I recommend using this cable only for shorter distances which is a shame as otherwise it is very good quality. With just a little tweaking of the coil tension Amazon Basics could have an even better product on their hands.
on 28 April 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The cable works. Music plays through it fine. Therefore five stars.

Unfortunately the coiled part of it doesn't work so well. It's too strong for a lightweight MP3 player to be left plugged into it when the coil is stretched. The coil will close, and an iPod isn't going to be able to resist the force against its inertia.

As far as I'm concerned it's a short 41cm wire with a bit of extra give in it. As a longer cable it's not very good. I have a use for a short cable so I'm happy with it as a replacement for an overlong wire.

As a long cable I would give it two stars. As a short wire five stars.

FYI The dock in the video is a Logitech Rechargeable Speaker S715i for iPod and iPhone. It was very well reviewed in What HiFi.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this to connect an mp3 player to the aux input on my car stereo. It does the job very well, looks quite nice, and provides a fairly neat way of making sure that you haven't got a lead trailing around - the slack being taken up by the coiling. To that extent it reminds me a bit of the flex we use to have on telephone handsets before we all went cordless.

The downside: this is really not very practicable for more than the length of the coiled wire 'at rest'(about 18 inches max), the coiling being fairly strong and therefore putting pressure to return to it's coiled state. Secondly this is a relatively expensive lead - given that Amazon sell a flat lead which does the same job for less than a pound.

Overall: good product for the right situation
VINE VOICEon 16 May 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I use this cable to connect my MP3 player to my stereo, and the sound quality is brilliant, much better than the cable I was using previously for this purpose.

As other reviewers have noted, however, the cable is coiled very tightly and there's no way you could stretch it out to 2m for any sort of practical purpose. When coiled the cable measures approximately 36cm (excluding the jack plugs from that measurement) and unless you wish to ping your MP3 player across the room that's about the length you should expect from it.

A quality cable with gold connectors, just not quite what it says on the tin.