5.0 out of 5 stars love it love it
I love my eee slate - and that's an understatement.

Toyed with the idea of an ipad for a long time but was put off by the lack of compatibility with my core software and the lack of a digital pen.

Published on 20 April 2011 by annakin67

1.0 out of 5 stars ASUS QC is nowhere to be found
My background:
I'm a Systems Developer for a Danish company.

My Story:
My boss asked me to buy this slate for an upcoming tradeshow, where it was supposed to show off our Java-application.

Published on 17 Oct 2011 by Alex, DK

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars ASUS QC is nowhere to be found, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Asus Eee Slate EP121-1A019M 12.1 Inch Tablet PC (Intel Core i5-470um,4GB, 64GB SSD,Bluetooth, 2.0 Mega Pixel Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium) + Bluetooth Keyboard and Case. (discontinued by manufacturer) (Personal Computers)
My background:
I'm a Systems Developer for a Danish company.

My Story:

It's ability to be a "normal" desktop in a slate was actually the reason we needed it. It was a handy way to bring a desktop-application to a tradeshow without having to move a lot of hardware.

I order it and wow, i must say, the UPS delivery was great. It arrived the next morning.
Unfortunately when it arrived the backlight in the unit seemed broken, so i asked for a replacement unit and again GREAT delivery but same thing happend.
A broken backlight in the screen and it was clearly a refurbished unit. The "home-button" were cleary scratched by fingernails pushing into the finish.

Or last chance was to call the ASUS Support Hotline in the UK (since ASUS have no Danish support for the Eee slates).
A rather obnoxious supporter greeted me. He very much seemed like i was an inconvience and it didn't seem like he actually wanted to help in anyway.
He asked for the Device-ID and found that there were no Global Warranty. He dismissed ansering any further questions and hung up.
Well thank you ASUS.

... So i've returned the exchange unit for a refund.

Now we're stuck with a RDP-Client on a Android device to a terminal... Instead of a great mobile desktop-like device... :(

I CAN NOT recommend this unit before ASUS figure out the concept of QC.

Amazons Return and Exchange politics though - Quite impressive... :D

5.0 out of 5 stars love it love it, 20 April 2011
I love my eee slate - and that's an understatement.

Sure, the eee slate is a bit bigger and twice as heavy but who cares when you've got quadruple the productivity potential! I've already had about 4 colleagues trying to steal it from me in meetings (only had it in work for 2 days).

The digital pen is lovely and responsive; that together with autocorrection writing directly to Word etc is scarily accurate and efficient. People have .doc copies of my meeting notes before they've even got back to their desks.

Yeah, the battery life isn't as great as others but again, the possibilities with this tablet make up for that for me. The keyboard is nice and responsive and the screeen is crips and clear.

I wish it wasn't as expensive as it was but blimey it's earned it's keep for me already!

If you want the convenience of a tablet but the power and scope of a PC this is definitely the one for you. It's much more than a glorified media player - can't recommend it enough.

1.0 out of 5 stars Asus need to up their game and sort out their QC, 27 Jun 2011
My background: I work in IT as a Systems and Software Manager.

Knowledge of Asus: Over the last 10 years or so have built around 20 PC's and Workstations using Asus motherboards and GPUs. Asus have generally been my brand of choice as not one of those systems has failed to date. Obviously some have been scrapped, but still never a problem in their working life!

The Asus eee Slate...

I was hoping to write a glowing review of this tablet. It had everything minus an easy way to change the battery and a dedicated GPU. I was obviously fully aware of both of these aspects prior to my purchase and thus as it ticked so many other boxes I went ahead with my purchase.

From this point things went wrong...

Asus's quality control (QC) appears to be almost non-existent with this product. In the last week I have had 3 of these units delivered by Amazon and all of them have been faulty or damaged in one way or another. The only praise I have is for Amazon themselves who have been fantastic throughout. I even reported the problem with the 2nd unit on Sunday and had a 3rd replacement by Monday AM. I have never had to use this returns service but it was an example to other companies. I obviously would rather have never had to use this service, but still it made the hassle less than the disappointment.

So what was wrong with the units...

The first:

Powered on and CPU (or system fan) was on at full rpm. This thing was noisy, so much so it makes the one that someone else recorded on youtube look quite! The only way I can compare it was to say on a size to noise ratio it was comparable to a rack server. There were also a few stuck pixels which again disappointing given the size of the screen and the total cost. The fan remained at this speed throughout the final Windows set up and subsequent reboots.

The second:

Perfect electronically, whisper quite. But the buttons at the top of the device were damaged. Again for a new device you do not expect this and so it went back.

The third:

Powered on; nice and quiet but no screen output, totally blank. It was running, as within a minute or so it did start to get warm and the fan kicked in slightly. I would guess this one maybe had a faulty GPU/CPU given they reside on the same chip.

So as I write this the third device is awaiting collection and with real regret I have had to opt for a refund. I really wanted this device, but I would have been foolish to have gone for a fourth replacement. I would have been constantly concerned about the ability of the device to last a year and beyond. OK in the first year you have a warranty but I believe with Asus you must pay inbound shipping regardless (need to check). Not only this, but I would then probably be without my tablet for several days at minimum. Also like for like replacements would worry me given how much I take care of my things. (Basically look the same as day one a year later!)

So I really cannot recommend this device. It needs some negative feedback as I really do not want people thinking it is great as it clearly carries more than its fair share of risks in terms of failures at present. Perhaps if those who have written positive reviews could come back on here in a years' time to confirm their devices are still working I would happily revise my comments to say I just ran into bad luck. If mine had worked like theirs then I am sure I would have been singing the praises of the device.

My advice: Hold off making a purchase until there is more feedback on the internet regarding the long term reliability of these. At present given how new these are there are no reports following their long term use/reliability.

Finally, thanks again Amazon; I'm just sorry Asus have let you down.

3.0 out of 5 stars Asus Eee Slate EP121 - creativity yes, productivity no, 3 Oct 2011
If you are considering buying this product I advise you to bear in mind the following; if you needs are mostly productivity based like e-mailing, creating and editing dcuments, working with Excel spreadsheets and similar and you think the Ep121 is going to provide a full-on Windows working environment with touchscreen capability, think again. Whilst the machine is reasonably fast and responsive most of the time, it has some peculiarities such as the apparent inability to accept plug and play devices - instead it launches Windows dialog boxes looking for drivers for anything at all you plug in and then spend hours - and I do mean hours quite literally - trying to located, install and configure these. I cannot get an external harddrive to connect to it at all. On any 'normal' Windows machine these things are no problem. It seems to run out of memory much earlier than you would expect - opening multiple browser tabs causes it to freeze up which presumably is a memory releted limitation. What I am trying to get across is that I have ended up with the feeling that this machine is not quite the direct equivalent of a similarly specified laptop made into two discrete parts - it just seems to have too many odd little quirks.

The touchscreen is good but in practical terms, you are trying to be as accurate with a finger as you would ordinarily be with a mouse and that is very difficult and in certain situations, impossible. So the problem with a Windows machine using touch interface is no longer the laggy performance - as it was in years gone by - it is simply that Windows was not designed with touch as the primary means of interaface- bottom line is that it is pretty responsive - nearly as good as an iPad - but not as usable as that might suggest because the areas you are trying to touch are simply too small. Many reviews I had read on Amazon before my purchase had talked about the great build quality - it is nice enough but not as great as I had expected. What is noticeable is the way the glass becomes very dirty very quickly and this is more of an issue than you might think. The Slate can creak a little from time to time when you pick it up and there is some - admittedly very small - movement corner to corner if the machine comes under any twisting force.

If you want to work seriously with the Asus Slate, you will need a mouse as well as the included keybaord - you cannot expect to work in the usual way you work now substituting fingers prods for mouse clicks - you will become frustrated and the same work will take longer. If you use a mouse you will find you have a portable, reasonably powerful machine that can do everything your laptop can do - unless your laptop is a desktop replacement type - that also gives you a tablet you can use for media consumption - watching videos, etc. - at other times and that gives you some of the advantages of touch without actally arriving at iPad type levels of touch user interface. Given the price of the Slate you could easily buy a good laptop for working on and an iPad for media consumption and get 10 hour battery life into bargain..........

Conclusion: the only reason I can see to buy this machine is if you want something that gives you the abilty to write or paint or draw directly on the screen. Although it is charming in its own way and is interesting and innovative, ultimately its appalling battery life and quirky performance in certain areas make it useful only for tasks that cannot be achieved without pen input. Although I am reasonably satisfied, the fact is that had I been able to have the experience I now have - having owned the Slate for several weeks - prior to purchase, I would not have bought it and used an alternative method to achieve on-screen paint and drawing input. In the end, it is just more hassle than it is worth.

I hope the above helps you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 1 Jun 2011
The Asus EP 121 is a great device, it has the power that I need for everyday work and meant I could stop carrying my heavy laptop around. I had no problem writing, although for longer documents the keyboard is definitely a must; saying that the on-screen keyboard is great to use. In all the input methods are fantastic and although the pen takes a little getting used to if you are new to pen input once you are used to not using a mouse it is more comfortable.

Contrary to what many people say there is no issue using Windows 7 with a touch screen that I found.

So why the 3 stars? Well firstly the screen kept on picking up my palm as I was writing so other Windows would pop up; I know from speaking to other people this shouldn't be any issue as other convertible tablets don't do this and have been around for well over 10 years. On the battery life I could only get 2 hours from it surfing the web or general working and for me that is a long way from the 4 hours that Asus state.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's be honest, 7 July 2011
I have been using this device for one week so far, and have to say - this device is not perfect and not for everyone.
Cons:
- it has a noisy fan.
- the battery can give 2.5-3.5 h
- the keyboard - bluetooth?!(works when system is ready) without any pointing device?!(doesn't convert to the full pc)
- no docking station to increase the battery life.
- it is not light (full PC not a big smartphone).

Over all above, I still have to say, this is the best tablet available on the market.
+ works with any keyboard and mouse you want. (I use with keysonic WiFi keyboard+touch pad)
+ every app with full speed (no compromise)
+ drawing and making notes with a digital pen (great experience)
+ screen is bright and clear.
+ after doing some tweaks Windows7 is touch friendly.
+ editing DOCs and PDFs with a pen.
+ all application for drawing, making notes are installed or can be downloaded for free.

All important features:
+ full PC with 2xUSB, HDMI, SD Card slot, WiFi, BlueTooth, digital pen, cover, keyboard.
+ full access to your 64GB SSD drive - you can install what you like and design your desktop as you wish.

Possible upgrade:
RAM: 8GB (Max)
SSD: 128GB (so far)

Other OS-es I tried:
- Linux Ubuntu/Kubuntu works out of the box - screen resolution has to adjusted.
+ Linux OpenSuse - All works well out of the box!
- Android x86 works well with the external keyboard. Touch doesn't work properly yet.

This device, with ease, can be a notebook or PC replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early days but a quality bit of kit - but watch out!!, 23 Jun 2011
No hesitation in recommending this - build quality and design are great and the screen is on a par with my IPAD.

Usability wise no problem selecting things and opening and closing dialogue boxes etc etc with my fingers (fatish ones) and any concerns I had over how a Windows 7 PC could be used using a touch screen have totally disappeared.

However, disconcertingly, the device/driver that enables the screen to respond to your finger has the 'power saving' option ticked (or whatever it was called) and so after less than 10 seconds of not using it the device no longer responds to your finger (pen always works though) and it will only come back briefly after pressing the button one next to the power switch - and then again becomes unresponsive after 10 seconds of non use etc. etc.

You will need to delve into the START/Control Panel etc. to view the driver's options and untick the 'power saving' mode so that it keeps itself active and always ready to accept finger input.

After doing that then it's brilliant but I can see this being a problem for some, thinking they had a duff device - I know I did and I got a 'B' in Biology in 1981 so consider myself virtually a scientist!!! ;)

Still five stars though - just ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Eee Slate EP121 review, 6 Sep 2011
After my very dissapointing impulse buy of the Ipad1, I realised that I needed something far more sophisticated for work. I work in China and spend most of my time travelling around factories, so I needed something very portable, easy to load and send pictures (Ipad1 fail), but above all compatible with everyone else's system within the organisation around the world (Ipad2 fail).

After researching, I decided that the Eee slate was the closest device to tick all the boxes, but a) it was too expensive, and b) the delivery time kept getting extended. So, I started investigating the various Android options and ended up purchasing the Motorola Xoom 3G, I used this for a couple of weeks but soon found that whilst a lot better than the Ipad for business (compatability, ease of use), it still just wasn't good enough for my demanding environment. So I bit the bullit once the Asus finally became available and shelled out the grand needed to buy it.

And what an excellent decision that was. The Asus is the answer to 95% of my needs. Whilst not the lightest, the large screen is fabulous, wherever I take it, people ask what it is and what it does - once they realise that it is a full PC, they usually remark 'oh that's exactly what I've been looking for' - so Asus - whilst your product is great - your marketing is rubbish - get advertising!

The keyboard is a joy to use and easy to connect, the battery life of the tablet (I get 4hrs at most) is enough for a day's use, and with a 3G dongle it gives me a complete comunnication solution. The pen takes a bit of getting used to, and it needs re-calibrating a lot, but this is probably a Windows7 issue rather than a tablet issue. I've read other reviews on the W7 use, but quite frankly I find it quite easy to use, I think that people are so used to W7 on a laptop/desktop with a mouse that they just need time to adjust. Hopefully an upgrade to windows 8 will silence the W7 criticisms.

So after using it (the Eee slate) for a month, it does have one major and two minor shortcomings for me. Firstly the major - the lack of camera on the reverse. Whilst at factories I frequently need to take pictures and email. This really is an oversight, the cost of adding a camera on the reverse would have been minute, and would have taken very little space, you can't tell me that this could not have been included in the original budget? 'It'll probably be on the Eee slate2' I hear people say - but doesn't this (Apple) mentality really hack you off? I mean take the Ipad1 - the 3G version that I bought cost over £600 when new, and just a few months later out comes the Ipad2 with all the features that Apple already knew Ipad1 lacked when they launched it (Ipad1) - so you think that I'm going to shell out another £600 on Ipad2 less than a year later? I think not - so please Asus don't go down this route - if you do why not make a cool clip on camera for Asus Eee slate1 users at the same time? - this is way smarter marketing in my opinion.

So back to the review - the lack of rear veiw camera is a definate design oversight - if you ask me, a typical designer error, give it to someone that works in the real world to test and this would undoubtedly have been high on their wish list. To get over this, I take pictures with my phone, and bluetooth them over which is fast and easy to do on the Eee slate.

On the minor issue side, first the usb ports. These are in a daft position, I'm right handed so hold the tablet with my left hand - exactly where the two usb ports are located, so plug in the 3G dongle, or anything else and you have a problem, moving your hand down results in an uncomfortable position as the tablet is quite heavy. Turning 180 degrees results in a similar problem when balancing the tablet on your knee. higher up on the left or right would have been better, but maybe there is a techincal reason why this could not be done rather than a design oversight. The secod issue is one that I have come accross in previous reviews - no onboard 3G capability, which for the price you would also think should have been included.

At the end of the day, this product is not designed for entertainment, it is a business tool - and a good one at that, I just can't help thinking that most people that are attracted to it are the same as me - travellers that need capable, portable, powerful hardware that the Asus definately is - but they are most likely also in need of a camera and 3G connectivity just like me. Now I know that technology is constantly moving, but quite honestly 3G and a camera is hardly cutting edge is it?

All in all though - I am delighted with my Asus, It has made my working life so much easier and that, at the end of the day is something we all want - right?

I hope you find this review useful, and don't end up shelling out over 2 grand to find something that works for you, like I did!

2.0 out of 5 stars Two faulty products returned; third one frustrating, 22 July 2011
Amazon Customer (Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My thanks to Amazon for their returns and exchange service. I purchased this product as my laptop is dying, I also purchased an additional bluetooth mouse, an external CD/DVD writer, etc as these are not included with the standard product and are needed if you want to use it for work.
The pen did not come out of the first one I received, it was in its little hole, visible, but no prodding could get it to budge - I did not find a way to purchase a functioning spare stylus in Europe and did not want to pay the postage from the US. This was replaced.
The second one received has a faulty backlighting, so - if you stare carefully - you can see that there is something on the screen, but it is unusable. This is now waiting for collection.
The third one has now been working for several months - if it was not for the keyboard which stops working on a regular basis. I need to re-link it to the computer at least every other day. This can take over an hour as the computer continues to not recognize that the keyboard is there. Overall a good device, if you can put up with the frustration and the cost of purchasing all the elements required to make the d*mned thing work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth its weight (and it is heavy) in gold., 2 Sep 2011
A. Reynolds (UK) - See all my reviews
I purchased this unit to replace an iPad. Bought the iPad largely as a remote work tool, which it signally failed at. I realised that to be an effective tool for my work, the tablet I had to have must be Windows based.

I looked at a lot of tablets before plunging in and buying this one, although it was the first one I looked at as an iPad replacement. The reviews talked about it being heavy, large and unweildy and criticised its battery life. However, most also said that for raw power, this is the tablet of the moment.

Anyway, having looked at the Acer Iconia Tab (W version), which was far too slow and limited; the Fujitsu Stylistic q 550, which was too slow and un-available when you tried to purchase it and a number of other obscure brands, I decided to take a look at this beast again.

Out of the box, the unit looks solidly built, yes it is heavy (you wouldn't want to use it as an e-reader) and it is larger than the iPad, by quite a bit. However, if you place the traditional A4 sized ruled book that most business people use to capture notes over it, it is about the same size in area, but a little thicker. It is heavier than its competitors, but much much lighter than the bundle of papers that I would have to take to meetings as an alternative. The additional benefits in meetings are 1. If you forgot a paper, you just fetch it from your network. 2. With Microsoft Onenote installed it is fantastic for taking notes and 3. With Microsoft Office installed you can annotate documents in meetings using the stylus.

The stylus: Many reviewers talk about styli as a deficiency. Apparently finger input is all the rage. It may be at kindergarden but thats for finger painting. I use my tablet for producing art and I can tell you that a stylus is more useable than a finger any time. Even on the iPad I used a stylus for art work. The EP 121 has a digitiser layer which takes pen input in the same way as a graphics tablet (only on the screen) with pressure sensitivity in graphics packages such as Art Rage and Draw Plus. But it also allows finger input including pinch and stretch (both a little slower than the iPad admittedly).

In short if you want a tablet for any use which involves document/media/art creation as well as consumption then this is the machine for you.

Finally, out of the box, the system has a number of software packages and utilities which you might want to prune, in order to save space and speed things up. But some judicious tweaking can improve speed and storage capacity. Battery life, well not as good as an iPad (hence 4 stars only), but then it isn't and iPad and that's largely a good thing.

UPDATE----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Six months into ownership and no problems with the Slate so far. However, I have had an AC Adapter/Power Supply failure. Please note you cannot buy a spare or a replacement in the UK. Believe me I have tried everywhere. The nearest source is Asus parts in Sweden. Also the response to the problem from ASUS support is lacklustre to say the least. If you buy this, order a spare power supply at the same time from the Swedish parts supplier.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›