4.0 out of 5 stars Feature Rich + Amazing value for money
40CX523
I've had my TV for a few days now, and don't think it's too early to write a review.
Published on 28 Oct. 2011 by Kenny

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the details
Unless you read the product description carefully you may not be aware of the following which I'd like to bring to your attention:

Published on 31 Dec. 2011 by Mark

4.0 out of 5 stars Feature Rich + Amazing value for money, 28 Oct. 2011
40CX523
Out of all of the TV's out there at the moment, this one comes up trumps; Okay so it's not a flash LED model but the picture quality isn't too bad at all, but more interestingly; is the low power consumption. Sony state max 180watts. My power reader says it's 55watts! - Less then my old 32" Panasonic.
First thing to point out; that although Amazon state it has "Wireless LAN" and "Built in WiFi" it in-fact doesn't! - I found out the hard way. You will be required to purchased a wireless dongle (Sony = £50) or cheaper still a bridge (£34).
After reading many reviews for the Sony Bravia dongle, it may be worth going down the bridge route. See link below to a netgear option.
I'll be buying the bridge soon.
Netgear Universal Wifi Internet Adapter

My other option was the Samsung LE40D580 for it's DLNA support and HD freeview, both of these features the Sony offers with the addition of Skype, twitter, facebook apps and a host of internet tv options including iplayer! - and the most interesting feature of all, is the ability to plug in a usb drive and have an instant PVR (a feature not available with the LED 40EX523!).

Quality;
A lot of people seem to be picking at the build quality of the TV, I personally couldn't fault it. The only main difference is that it's not that typical gloss black but more of a 'brushed steel' effect but obviously still plastic.
-One thing worth noting is that the components are still up to the usual Sony standard, with Rubycon capacitors fitted on the psu board. Hopefully an indication that it is built to last.

Informative technical review below :

[...]

Overall for me it's a feature rich display with low power consumption and a good looking display.

Summary of benefits :

Positives;

LAN port - No WiFi built-in as description states (Wi-fi Ready) -be warned!
DLNA support
Upgradeable firmware
iPhone & smart phone support (free)
Internet tv streaming from major sources
Hard drive recording (requires external usb drive)
Great TV guide
Built in manual
PS3 style menu
web browser
PIP abilities
Face book & twitter (plus many more apps) integration whilst watching TV (if you are into that)
3.5mm Audio Jack input + headphone output (great for watching from a pc)
Wealth of ports except DVI

Negatives :
Remote control feels a bit cheap but comfortable all the same!
Blacks aren't as good as some of the new LED / plasmas I've seen
Viewing angle not very wide, white hazing visible if looking at it from an angle. I tend to watch TV straight on, so not really a problem just an observation.

Great next-day service from Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of bang for your buck (surprisingly for a cheaper Sony), 11 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Sony KDL32CX523BU 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 50Hz LCD Internet TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)
All in all the features that the tv has make it a very compelling buy, having researched quite extensively on the internet I decided to go for this model. I am extremely pleased with this purchase, especially when considering the poor reviews that some of sonys other cheaper end products have had - no worries at all there.

PROS

FREEVIEW HD - Considering that alot of people get the signal via their ariel, the fact that alot of TVs don't have the HD tuner as standard astounds me. As the tv was for the bedroom, this appealed to me even more as I now don't have to get an extra sky/virgin/freeview box to watch the 4 terrestrial hd channels.

PICTURE QUALITY - Excellent quality - even better after fine tuning the colours, good upscaling of standard channels, the fact that it's only 50hz hasn't made any difference so far. Although I'm not sure how it would affect gamers.

INTERNET TV - Havent used much yet, but amazon have a deal with love film so u get 3 months free. Has Facebook, Skype etc, but unless you have an Ethernet connection (Internet cable) to plug into it, you will need to buy a Sony dongle (wifi) separate. Streaming off your pc, and adding USB memory to record is also handy.

USE YOUR PHONE AS REMOTE - This might seem gimmicky for most, but is a very handy app for my iPhone, not sure if other smartphones have the app -check it out.

CONS

SOUND - To be honest this is not a issue for me and probably the majority - the tv only has 20watt speakers. When compared with my other Sony the sound is not as good - a little tinny (having said that, the tv cost over alot more), but for the price is probably par for the course. If you wanted this tv as part of a movie system in a large room, I would recommend surround sound speakers, for most other uses it's fine.

The tv is very easy set up, and like all TVs will require further optimisation to get the best out it - that just depends on how demanding u are. In terms of bang for bucks this jam packed tv is hard to beat, especially if u just want a stand alone tv (without sky/virgin), which is why I have given it 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the details, 31 Dec. 2011

- This TV does not have integrated WIFI. To access the features which require an internet connection you need to use a wired connection (i.e. ethernet cable between router and TV), or purchase a Sony UWABR100 USB Network Adapter which costs around £50.

- With the internet connection sorted you're ready to go, unless you want to make Skype video calls. All you need to do for this though is connect a webcam.... as long as it is Sony's own.... a Sony CMUBR100 Skype Camera for Bravia TV costing around £90.

If you're looking for a suitable wall bracket for this TV, I purchased a "Designer Habitat / Swivel And Tilt TV Wall Mount Bracket For 17 Inch / 37 Inch LED / LCD Plasma TV's" from Play. Does the job ok for only £10.99 but you'll need to buy longer screws than those supplied to fix the bracket to the TV. I also noted that the raw plugs supplied were too big for the masonry screws supplied!

Some of the sister models do come with integrated WIFI capability and LED Edge technology which this model doesn't have, but on the other hand, this TV is full HD and shows freeview HD channels whereas some of the other models don't.

A good feature is that you can attach a portable USB hard disk drive to the TV and use it to record and playback your favourite TV programs, avoiding the need for a costly separate recorder. Once formatted by the TV, the drive can only be used on that TV unless you re-format it for use on other media such as a PC.

Currently, the TV can access BBC iPlayer and 5 On Demand but not 4OD and ITV Player.

If you plan to use the TV for internet browsing then remember that there is no keyboard and all typing needs to be done slowly and frustratingly via the remote. Displayable content is also limited as integrated videos cannot be displayed and some web pages use too much memory to display at all.

Overall, this TV is still good value for money but without a little research upfront could leave you feeling slightly let down when it doesn't do everything you expected and you need to spend more money to get it there. Best advice from me would be that this is a good value range of TV's from Sony but be sure to figure which is the best specific model for you before you open your wallet. I would have given it 4 or 5 stars if it wasn't for feeling slightly misled by it being shown to have Skype, and that the accessories to add WIFI capability and a webcam are restricted to somewhat overpriced Sony products.

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but there are better options out there, 19 Mar. 2012
Spent a while researching all the merits of different televisions before settling on the Sony Bravia KDL32CX523BU. The features of a smart TV really appealed to me; I watch a lot of TV on my laptop and have a lot of files already on my laptop so wanted to benefit from a TV that could play these.

Out the box it was really easy to assemble and set up, I didn't opt to pay the extra £50.00 for the wifi dongle, I would recommend purchasing an Comtrend Powerline Ethernet Adapter with Filter (it uses the powerline in your home to carry the signal from the router to any plug in your house) that way you have flexibility if you ever change television and you can use the ethernet cable for any other devices you might need. Much better than splashing £50 for a Sony dongle.

TV tuned in easily and features/menus are quite easy to understand, some options can seem quite long winded.

The main reason I bought the TV and the basis of my review are as follows, streaming straight to TV from laptop/USB playback, USB recording, simple operation.

Streaming/USB Playback
This works really well, you simply set up a library on Windows Media Player and then you can right click and select PLAY TO and then select your TV and it will stream straight to it (in practice) with no wires. To the same extent you should be able to put the file on a USB and then plug it in and play.

Unfortunately for some reason Sony has very restrictive file formats available for playback (I suspect this has something to do with Sony Entertainment having some influence over their television functionality) and I still can't find a rhyme or reason for some files playing and others not, it's the most infuriating as you would expect global compatibility from Sony and the only way to play some formats is to plug your laptop into the HDMI slot, defeats the point in having an internet/smart TV.

I would also flag that I have tried the same files on a cheap LG, Sharp and an OK Samsung and they all play every file no problems.

If they sorted this with a Software update, I would be really happy as at the moment I wouldn't recommend the TV for people wanting to watch files on the TV.

I should note you can encode stuff with DIVX software, but that doesn't always work either and can a be time consuming process with some files.

Also in this mode you can't access some of the TV features without exiting playback (I use the sleep timer quite a bit and have to remember to set it before I stream or you have to cancel, set the timer and then stream again!)

Recording to USB

Once you decide on a device to record to it has to be formatted and can't be used for anything else (unless you reformat and lose all the data on it), worth noting it has to be over 32GB.

The recording functionality in the menus isn't the simplest and takes quite a bit to set up a recording, you also can't pause live TV, you have to go through the longwinded process of recording and then opening the file, which seems like a shortfall in the software.

There is only one tuner so you have to record what you are watching (you can watch other recordings while it records a new programme) but annoyingly you can't stream when recording to USB (even although streaming doesn't use the aerial).

Menus
Some menus have far too menu options and the remote is quite simple with few shortcuts which can feel quite laborious, I'd also say the remote feels and looks quite cheap, compared to others I have used.

I suppose the frustration comes from some small things that I feel could be easily fixed, but I don't think they will be, for that reason I'm afraid my review has to be 2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Sony supplied by Amazon, 31 July 2011
I've been a fan of Sony gear for longer than I care to remember and this TV does not disappoint.
First of all the price and delivery from Amazon were superb, I searched the usual suspects on the web and Amazon were right up there for price and delivery, this isn't always the case but was this time. The TV arrived as promised in perfect condition and my only gripe with mail order nowadays is that the product is emblazoned on the packaging so now everyone in my neighbourhood and passers by know that I have a new TV, even recycling the packaging will be a risk.
This TV looks great and has a stunning picture, as all Sonys do, it was easy to set up however I could not get the freeview HD channels to be recognised so I was a bit peeved until some research on the web which revealed that my aerial gets its signal from Sutton Coldfield and will not have the HD channels available until September 2011! So I'll have to wait or point my aerial towards Lichfield until September - I can't be bothered. I hadn't appreciated this TV's ability to connect to the web via wi-fi and I shall fit the necessary adaptor to it's USB port in the near future, I was also amazed to learn that you can add an external Hard drive via the USB port to record programs on or to play recorded media through - how good is that!
To sum up then don't mess about with other brands, buy Sony and get the best web deal you can but always check out AMAZON.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Bravia KDL-40CX523, 24 Aug. 2011
Excellent picture quality and all-around TV, particularly given the price. Does not feel like an entry-level TV at all. Both HD and SD content look good on this TV - I had a 46" Samsung LCD in the US before moving to London, which I chose because of its great ability to display SD content, but this Sony surpasses even that one. Overall, an excellent purchase, and I don't think I could have found a better HDTV at this price level.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dim picture? Read this!, 14 Feb. 2012
This Sony TV is largely, but not completely, terrific.

After setting it up one problem I immediately noticed was that the picture was always too dim - I just couldn't seem to get enough contrast; every scene appeared somehow washed-out. This was frustrating to say the least since sometimes it was just unwatchable. Then one day while browsing through the menus I came across the Light Sensor setting (Eco menu). Changing it to "off" transformed the picture from dull and faded to bright and vibrant. I've read several user reviews and a couple of official magazine / website reviews that mention the lack of contrast. It seems odd that the default setting gives a rather poor picture!

Other reviewers who highlight the thin sound are correct. There is a distinct lack of bass resulting in a rather feeble and unsatisfying audio experience; I'm not sure everyone's constitution would bear putting up with it long term. I dug out an old set of PC speakers with a subwoofer and plugged those in - another vast improvement.

To switch to the positive, the quality of the picture with SD is excellent and with HD is absolutely superb. The internet features are a boon (we use a pair of TP-Link powerline ethernet adaptors which are much better value than the Sony wireless dongle). A cheap and cheerful 500Gb external USB hard drive means we saved a bucketload of cash on a separate PVR (be warned though, the user interface provided is decidedly clunky). Hooking up other bits and pieces like a PC (used for Channel4od and ITVPlayer) and DVD player were a breeze.

Overall, I'd suggest that if, like us, you're on a tight budget this Sony TV is an excellent choice - but remember to switch off the light sensor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 13 July 2011
My first foray into HD flat screen tv.
Yes it's the cheaper end of the spectrum, but this is a first rate product.
Arrived ahead of time, well packaged, easy to assemble and set up.
Operation intuitive even a grandpa gets it !!
Been watching it for 3 days now and really pleased with purchase.
Highly reccommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I ever need., 26 Aug. 2011
It has all the features the modern man needs. Minus the fantastic job prospects and career :P

I purchased it for my grandfather as his current t.v. was heading to the knackers yard.

The freeview for him is tricky and I have to explain what to do with it but I found the controls to be intuitive and simple to use.

Great vision quality and range of field. Good for small living room or a big bedroom if you are so inclined.

Buy a good sound system with it and you are laughing.

All in all a good buy. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic TV, 2 Mar. 2012
After researching for my first Flatscreen TV the SONY KDL-32CX523 appeared on the market and checked all the boxes I required:-

1) Full HD 1080p - You'll normally see this high resolution mode when playing films via DVD/Blu ray players and other devices that support high resolutions.

2) Freeview HD (which will be available transmitter wise to more areas of the UK after the 2 switchover dates in April 2012)

3) Internet TV, ie BBC Iplayer + HD, Youtube and loads more. I have had about 4 Firmware Updates so far (downloads via the tv signal) adding new Internet services and tweaks for the TV. I'm using an Ethernet cable straight from my ADSL Router, which allows stutter free streaming, providing your ISP doesn't have slow down problems at peak times!

4) Good natural colours even out of the box. The Sony uses the more traditional CCFL Backlighting (Fluorescent tubes) rather than the newer led backlighting that can tend to leave a bluish hue. The Panel is of the improved quality SPVA type and doesn't suffer as badly as the cheaper TN panels when viewing at an angle to the TV.

5) Excellent PVR function. I'm using an external 1TB harddrive to record programmes on to. Of course you can use smaller capacity hard drives (and probably larger, but not sure what the max size allowable size is)and the TV will format them to the XFS format for you (I believe you can have more than 1 harddrive that is assigned to that TV). But do note, the files recorded onto the harddrive are protected, so you can't simply unplug your harddrive and play it back on other devices. **I did note too that the TV would reject the harddrive for formatting if it was pre formatted to NTFS. I am tech savvy and formatted the drive to the XFS file system (via partedmagic) and then the TV was happy to set things up. Of course this may be already addressed via one of the more recent Firmware updates.
Of course you can only watch the channel you are recording, but the recording bit rate (quality) is very good. It doesn't appear you can change the record bit rate to something lower (of course quality would suffer) ie to save your harddrive space. But as a guide a 30minute recording takes up around 600MB (0.6GB).
The TV guide allows you to setup a timer record or a reminder and it's very clear and easy to do. If you see something you like on TV, but cant that minute watch it, you can simply push the record button (on remote) and unless you stop it, it will stop at the end of that current programme schedule. So you need to watch out when they put the news in between two film halves. Of course you can set the timer record to record both halves.

6) The TV Stand is very sturdy and the TV Bezel has a Brushed Finish albeit in the Black Plastic. I suppose this is supposed to mimic brushed aluminium, but nevertheless still looks good and keeps the price down. The Stand base has a highly polished Gloss Black finish, but go light on the dusting and use a soft cloth, as you can get some of those very fine scratches you can sometimes see on a polished car.

7) For the money, I honestly don't think there is another TV on the market that has as many features and that has such a stunning picture - I'm still amazed everytime I watch it. I hope this information helps other Amazon customers in their TV choice.