4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product with just a tiny flaw
Well, it's a Sony and you get what you pay for. Picture quality is superb, design is sleek and elegant, and sound quality is better than an equivalent Samsung.
Published on 14 Jun 2011 by G. Dell'Anno

3.0 out of 5 stars Sony KDL 24EX320 HDTV
This TV performs very nicely with some exceptions. The picture is good and bright and sound is good. The two main areas of exception are concerned with a sadly inadequate description:

The connections for Scart and HDMI work well though I would have prefered 2 Scart connectors (as advertised by Sony). The promised Composite video connection (red/white/blue) as...
Published on 7 Jun 2011 by Dr A R Pratt

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product with just a tiny flaw, 14 Jun 2011
G. Dell'Anno (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony KDL24EX320WU 24-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p Edge LED Internet TV with Freeview - White (Electronics)
It's the only TV I could find of this size and in this price range with built-in Interner connectivity, which for me is a major plus. Despite qhat I read in other comments, there is no need to buy any extra equipment (dongles or similar) to connect this TV wirelessly to your router, and connection is very easy and straightforward with the video tutorials on the Sony website. The TV can be used to browse the net, although typing in the URLs via remote control makes this task almost impossible. Nevertheless, access to youtube, Lovefilm.com and the on-demand websites of Channel4 and Five are good enough reasons to justify choosing this TV over competitors. I was a novice of Internet TV and was amazed by the excellent image quality you get from these websites: it's impossible to spot the difference with the standard digital signal... I'll be subscribing Lovefilm.com soon!
One disappointing flaw is the design and location of the aerial socket on the back of the TV, which requires connection of the plug (and obviously cable) perpendicular to the back of the screen, rather than sideways, as for all other connections. This is not an issue if you are planning to keep the TV on its stand but, if you decide to mount it on the wall, you'll be forced to keep it at least 40mm from it which, in my opinion, defeats the point of having a super-slim LED TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 16 Jun 2011
D. J. BURGESS (Warwickshire, U.K.) - See all my reviews
So much more than a TV - a complete entertainment system. Great picture and good connectivity and looks good in the room too. It is easy to set up despite plugging in surround system, VCR and digi-recorder. Optical audio connection means I always get the best possible quality and the sounds goes with the picture without loads of source swapping between devices; what I see is always what I hear.

Internet video is easy to set up by inputting the router code just as easy as with a laptop and I was a little surpised to see that some of the video content is actually worth seeing.

Wireless streaming through home network from the laptop is fairly straightforward with Windows 7 although there was a music folder it did not pick up and which I had to set individually on the laptop for some reason. Having some problem with it seeing BBC iPlayer HD downloads on the laptop at the moment, this may not be possible although standard quality I'm sure will be fine as I think it is a single file - anybody help on this please? Alternative I suppose will be to connect direct through HDMI. (TV has 2, one of which is two-way ARC).

Additionally, you may not need a separate recorder; you can plug in an external hard drive to the USB to use as such, the programme guide has all the functions necessary to set recording.

Only 2 slight downs;
1. It sits very low on the stand so for a standard size TV table it might need to be lifted on to something additional for easier viewing.
2. I'm fairly sure at the moment that it does not support Dolby DTS so I have to listen to all DVD's in standard 5.1

On the whole, a really great TV if it is the correct size for your room.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tv Internet a breeze to set up, 25 Jun 2011
london calling (I live by the river) - See all my reviews
I got this tv for the bedroom and its perfect the picture quality is fantastic and im only using a scart connection from my sky box the lead is 15m long but you would never know the difference. I found my wireless connection and all i had to do was put in the network key and it was connected also i got lovefilm for free and you just need to connect via a sony site and its was working asap i have watched a film on it and no problems connection was great you also get bbc iplayer sky news demand 5 you tube etc etc. So all i can say is buy one its a good tv and the price is now pretty cheap for a 2011 model.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 15 Jun 2011
Beautiful, lightweight, thin tv with an exceptionally clear, rich picture. It really is light enough to move from room to room.
Very easy to set up, connected to my home network very easily and the quality of internet tv is much better than I expected (this will depend on your internet speed).

This is set up in my bedroom and I cannot fault it. It was turning itself off after 30 minutes as it has an energy saving motion sensor. When I'm in bed this is not ideal, but it was easy to turn this feature off.

Nice to be able to record problems directly to an external hard drive (not supplied).

The sound is good, with several options. I have it set to Clear Voice as I find background music in many programmes to be too loud. This setting helps overcome that.

It has the facility to connect to Facebook and Twitter, too. I have done so and it is easy to do, but I don't think I'll be using this function much as I can do that with my phone. It will also connect to Skype if you connect a webcam and mic.

The digital tv picture is superb - a delight. The blacks are very clear - you can see button holes, collars etc on black coats. Many tvs will show this as a solid black blob with no features. No picture lag, and good resolution. Good viewing angle too.
The handset is user friendly, although a bit lightweight for my own preference. Nicely curved and all buttons are easily accessible for one handed use. Batteries included.

A high quality television at an excellent price. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought I would wait 6 weeks to review...., 23 July 2011
.... and I still think this TV is fantastic.

Even normal SD Freeview TV viewing is definitely better quality than the old LCD TV. I also think that the 3 month LoveFilm subscription is fantastic too.

I'm streaming Wireless to the TV which is situated upstairs whilst the router is downstairs without a single hiccup, jitter or loss of signal. I find I'm watching more internet based TV with the iPlayer's built in and ease of use. I even like the little pointless Widget's you get where I can check my Facebook and Tweet updates whilst watching TV.

The White sleek bezel is very attractive and although I am going to mount it on the wall when I redecorate, I am enjoying the look of the chrome stand it comes with.

Negative points? Hmmm.... The remote control. As I use it in the bedroom the remote control could benefit from an 'on-demand' backlight. This is probably due to the poor layout of the remote. Also, using the remote as a keyboard is unforgiving. If you make a typo (which you will EVERY time you use it) you have to clear the whole line and start again.

So for me, it's a real 10/10 TV with a 6/10 remote control.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let down by c**p manuals and poor remote, 10 Sep 2011
Professor J. M. Rayner (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
In many ways a great TV which performs very well in most ways. Easy to set up and connect to a range of dvices, including PC over 802.11g wireless. Fairly thin sound through its own speakers, but excellent through 2-speaker stereo amplifier. We are having more problems with colour: getting the settings right wihtout oversaturated and magenta-shifted reds is proving troublesome, but this depends very much on the source. The TV also survived the digital retune last week flawlessly, which can't be said for a brand-new Sharp HD tuner. Streaming music from Windows Media Player on a network wireless PC is excellent quality and very easy to set up, but playing a slideshow has proved extremely difficult, and so far only possible over composite video.

The main problem is finding out exactly what you get with this TV: neither Amazon nor Sony websites (and indeed the big electrics retailers) are fully accurate and unambiguous, and it does not help that they conflict with one another. To be clear: the screen resolution is 1080p, which at the moment is unusual for a screen this small, so resolution is excellent. BUT, as other reviewers have noted, the TV does not have the correct tuner/decoder to receive HD TV. The wireless adapter is built in (and works fine even in a stone house), despite instructions in the Sony manual to buy their wireless dongle. There is no separate RGB video input, but composite analogue video is OK.

Two things let the TV down. The printed manual is minimal, and mainly deals with setting up the TV. So far as it goes that's OK. But the main manual is on screen (or you can also download it for a PC from the Sony website). This i-manual is minimal to say the least, and does not cover most of the controls or settings, and is no help in troubleshooting or untangling more technical questions, and lacks an index. For once, for a Sony manual, it is actually possible to understand the English.

Second, the remote is poorly designed. It feels light and tacky to hold, is impossible to use in the dark, and most annoyingly the down navigation button and the 'home' button are adjacent and are always confused.

A further disappointment is that internet TV is for me almost unusable. However, this is over a 2.5-3 Meg rural broadband connection, and is probably not the fault of the TV.

Another reviewer commented on the annoying sound when the TV is turned on. This _can_ be turned off, from somewhere deep in the settings menu.

Yes, I would buy one of these again, but I really do wish Sony and marketers (are you listening, Amazon?) would be much more precise about what you do and don't get, and that Sony would think much more about their users and how to provide them with the information they need. If other manufacturers were to get this right I would not be buying from Sony, but they are all as bad as each other. And at the moment this model has a better spec than most competitors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, 16 Sep 2011
Aesthetically very pleasing and serves its function as a tv as good as you can expect. Internet services are fit for purpose ie it's no substitute for a pc - not yet anyway. I do find you get the best picture when sitting directly in front of it. Irritatingly, for any viewing angle which is even slightly off centre, the picture sharpness and colour-depth fade quite badly. After periods of fiddling I found reducing the back-light setting to zero and sticking with the traditional colour, brightness and contrast settings improved this off centre issue to a livable level.

If you buy this item I'd advise to shop around for the best deal. I got different prices with different warranty options from three different Sony Center's all claiming they couldn't budge any further, including Sony on-line. I wanted the 5 year manufacturer's warranty which I believe is only available when buying direct from Sony. Expect to pay around 40 - 50 extra for this when compared with the 1 year warranty option available on less expensive on line units. Compare this with what you would pay Comet or Curry's for a retailers extended warranty then it's really good value for money.

The only other niggles are:

No freeview HD
Some buttons on the remote are too close to each other.
No white components to complement it - waiting for the ps3 in white or worst case a white skin.
No white in 26 inch.

Even with these, once you have made this tv part of your home you'd have to be abnormally fussy to find any regrets. I also like the fact that even when the tv is powered off (ie not in standby) you can still switch it on using the power or channel button on the remote control.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for a wall mount in a kitchen or dining room, 1 Aug 2011
Alfa (Canterbury, UK) - See all my reviews
I have no idea why you can't buy more white TV's of this type as black ones are so dominant when wall mounted. This looks very cool in our kitchen, like a large iPad 2 and the picture quality is superb. The other set fetaures and sound are top notch and linking your online accounts such as Skype and LoveFilm is trivial. LoveFilm and iPlayer work brilliantly and the only real downside is that when everyone on your exchange has one, broadband speeds will really suffer.

Using the USB camera to talk to relatives on Skype feels very Star Trek. I wish I'd planned somewhere better than above the TV for the camera, though.

Need more apps, please and more online access to foreign programme sources, like the included Berliner Philharmonik channel.

However, I have no idea why people are talking in other reviews about the difficulty of using dongles with it since it has inbuilt WiFi which connected to my hub in under a minute after power-up (and you CAN delete characters in your URL strings from the remote, too, it's seclectable on screen). No dongles are needed. At last and not before time . . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 23 Jun 2011
I received delivery of this tv a few days ago & it is one quality bit of kit. I bought this tv as a secondary set for the bedroom to connect to a secondary Sky source. This has been booked & is yet to be installed but until then the internet content available on this set is excellent & if on a budget you could just plug this tv into the mains, hook it up to your home hub wirelessly & your away with hours upon hours of on demand free tv without a secondary source!
I would definitely recommend this set, not yet hooked it up to a digital source but so far with just internet connection, very good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fixing holes for wall bracket not standard., 30 Jun 2011
I purchased a slimline standard vesa sized wall bracket from Amazon at the same time as this TV but it does not fit as the fixing holes on the TV are too far apart, haven't yet found a bracket which fits, even in the SONY shop! Also the sockets for several of the inputs are on the back, making it impossible to fit close to the wall which is the point of buying a slimline TV. Otherwise the TV apears to perform well as described.