4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking picture, streaming, well thought out USB recording
Bought this TV for it,s streaming, LED Technology and USB HDD Recording ability's. all of which work very well.

After trying Samsung for streaming and support both of which were rubbish I wasn't left with a lot of choice of devices which have an app for streaming from Lovefilm (only Sony and Samsung TV products have Lovefilm apps)

First of all I...
Published on 14 Jan 2012 by Yorkie

3.0 out of 5 stars REALLY good 2D...not great 3D
I recently purchased this TV, being a Sony I assumed it would be of typical Sony Quality in all features...I was wrong. The 2D images on this set are absolutely fantastic, crystal clear, sharp & there are PLENTY of menu options to get the picture & sound set up to your personal liking (possibly too many menu's!?!) The Ethernet facility is again, fantastic, all seems to...
Published on 19 Mar 2012 by Katerina-Yelena

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking picture, streaming, well thought out USB recording, 14 Jan 2012
This review is from: Sony KDL32EX723BU 32-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D 100Hz Edge LED Internet TV with Freeview HD (Electronics)

First of all I tried the Sony KDL 32EX523 LED TV but in spite of the manual saying it had USB HDD Recording it didn't actually have it, plus the picture was very dull, so I packed it back up for return within the hour.

Then I studied for quite a time before I decided to buy this particular TV, especially since I found the picture so dull on the first Sony LED TV however I decided to take a chance and at first I thought that I had slipped up as the picture was again very dull, I couldn't be bothered to pack it up that day and decided to watch it for the evening and pack it up the following day, but on the following day I decided to have one more look at it and much to my surprise the picture was as different as is night and day, it was much brighter than it had been the day before so I had a fiddle with the picture setting's and have since tweeked them a bit more and now the picture is absolutely spot on.

As for it's streaming ability's it is very surefooted and has never dropped a connection even when the available bandwidth drops from Lovefilm (which drop's quite low during busy periods, sometimes dropping from 5.5-6.0 mbps to as low as 1.5 mbps) it just carry's on streaming. as does my Sony Blu Ray player and the Sony TV and Blu Ray player that I have in the bedroom, they are all very surefooted streaming on the internet from whichever site I maybe using.

When it comes to USB HDD recording this is very well thought out and is a full function facility supporting up to 2TB (I have a 1TB drive attached) and it also allow's the use of all other input's (HDMI,Scart,Composit,Input's etc) whilst recording's are taking place, so that you can for instance watch a DVD or Blu Ray, use another freeview box (I have a scart freeview box attached) to watch TV programes other than the one that's being recorded, you can also watch a previously made recording at the same time as something else is being recorded, most scheduled recording's can be recorded directly from the EPG and you can schedule serial recording (daily, weekly, mon-fri, mon-sat, etc) from the manual settings, the only thing that it doesn't have is a timeslip facility but as far as I am concerned this is only a small limitation, especially when compared to most other manufacturers very limited USB recording facility's which generally only allow (at best) a recording to take place as long as you don't want to do or watch anything else.

A quick word on the 3D facility, I didn't buy this TV for the 3D facility and I'm rather glad that I didn't and that it isn't important to me as I found the images produced to be somewhat unresolved, fuzzy and irritating as an overall experience (my complete system composes this Sony 3D TV, Sony BDP S480 3D Blu Ray Player, Sony 3D Glasses and 3D bundle kit), but don't take my word alone for this 3D ability, plus which I think this TV is a good buy regardless of what I think of the 3D. (I'm sure that there are other people who will disagree with me about the 3D ability)

A further word with regard to there being no timeslip facility on the USB HDD recording facility, there is workaround for this and it's simply start a manual recording (simply press the record button) of the program in question then when you get back to it whether it's still recording or not you can start watching it immediately from the place that you started the recording and pause the watching of it again if you wish and pick it back up at that or any other point all without disturbing the actual recording going on, the main difference then is only that you have to delete the recording when you've finished watching it whereas with a proper timeslip it doesn't actually make a recording so that when you've finished there's nothing to delete, but having to delete the recording is I think a small price to pay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony KDL46EX723BU 46-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D 100Hz Edge LED Internet TV with Freeview HD, 12 April 2012
Great T.V and the 3D is good, when reading the reviews look at the screen size's commented on, the larger screens are a lot better for 3D content as you need to be with in a certain distance of the screen, measure the distance you sit away from the screen before picking a size, my viewing distance from this set is 6 and half feet and the 3D is very good.it's no good getting a small screen and sitting at this distance as the 3D will look bad.
This is a great product for the price and I would highly recomend it.

Update: I have since watched several 3D films and can say they really good apart from a couple of titles. Avoid My bloody Valentine as the 3D is really bad and Lionsgate are aware of it. Also Preist and Up, and the deadly hallows part 1 are pretty flat 3D.
Best titles so far are that I've watched : Avatar, Alice in wonderland, Resident Evil afterlife ,Final Destination 4 and 5, Ice Age, The three musketeers.
Tips :
GENERAL:
Also in the Eco settings turn off the light sensor it makes the picture too dark once it off adjust your picture settings to your preference.
3D SETTING
In 3D (meaning you have to have 3D content playing and/or paused)

3D Menu (By pushing Option on the remote then select 3D Menu)
3D Display = On
3D Depth Adjustment = 0
Simulated 3D Effect = n/a
3D Glasses Brightness = Low / Medium
3D Format = n/a

Scene
Scene = General

Picture Adjustment (By pushing Option on the remote and select Picture Adjustment, or hit the Home button on the remote go to Settings, Picture and Display, then select Picture Adjustment)
Setting Memory = Current Input

LED Dynamic Control = n/a
Auto Light Limiter = n/a
Clear White = High
Live Color = Low

White Balance (as of now I left alone in 3D, seems good)

Hope this is helpfull.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony KDL37EX723, 7 Jan 2012
I researched TV's for ages as we were still stuck in the world of CRT!

It came down to this one versus Pana Viera. Originally I wasn't sure about the main draw to LED vs LCD but a trip to a local reseller confirmed that Sony's LED technology is truly very good. The Pana units are very close but we already had Sony blu ray players so that swung it. Some LED screens do seem to be a bit too bright but that may be the way they are left running in the shops and maybe not configured as well as they could be.

We use the network functionality a lot (wired Cat6) so can not comment on wireless capabilities and dongles etc. The TV is also 3D capable but we aren't interested in that as yet. Image quality from blu ray and HD is superb and that is what it's all about for us. SD images are also excellent and there's a whole host of ports for connectivity until your heart's content.

Sound is predictably tinny as the chassis is so thin there is no way any decent amp/speaker tech could be crammed in there. Instead we have used a Panasonic sound bar and woofer that sits discretely behind and it is brilliant for under £200. Excellent differentiation between high,mid range and thumping bass (if you turn it up).

Sony S380 blu ray and Humax HDR500 (freesat) recorder completes the setup and, for very sensible money, this is a very good entertainment platform. My work involves integration projects at many high worth homes and I can safely say that this setup gives vastly more expensive installations a good run.

Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sony KDL55EX723BU, 8 Nov 2011
Beware that despite the product features saying "built-in WiFi" this model doesn't have a built-in wifi and you need a dongle or connection to your router via an ethernet cable. Great TV though - good picture quality and easy to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart TV the revolution is here :), 29 July 2011
Hi Guys, Below is the review I wrote for the KDL40ex723,
Was so impressed with the Set I purchased the KDL46ex723.
The review below applies as its the exact same TV just 6inches larger.
Ignore the dimensions in the review, Hope it helps your purchase
Also the price on Amazon is £200 cheaper than anywhere else

Right Down to business, Some background
All my home entertainment equipment is generally Sony that includes, DVD players, Hifi, Speakers, Home theatres, Televisions ETC..
with Sony I find their Products to be of a High Quality, Good looking and jammed packed with more features than you could shake a stick at. (even if the customer service is pretty crappy) topical! this is about a Television.....I must remember that and keep calm.........Lousy incompetants!

Back to the Television,
I wanted to replace the 40" HD Sony LCD TV I already had, again great tv, excellent 1920 x 1080 picture
however it was only 60hz, 450Watt PSU (fairly power hungry), 2 x HDMI etc etc.... but as everything is HDMI now I had to buy a HDMI adaptor for the set giving it more ports and this option was fairly expensive and takes up another power socket. Other influences on the decision to upgrade was the fact That I already owned the Sony BDP570 3D Bluray Player and the PS3.

Installation
After getting it home and unpacking the TV, the phyisical installation was not a problem due to the TV's weight and dimensions. I Instantly noticed the weight differential when I tried to move the 40" LCD that was being replaced I forgot that thing weighed a ton compared to the same screen size KDL 40EX723. After Initial Switch on, Sony;s setup wizard helps you get the television up and running quickly for the basics i.e watching digital terrestial tv. Its on screen help is extremely detailed, its pratically got its help manual built into the set itself which is great diagrams and all!

Appearence, Dimensions & Power
The bezel is extremely thin with a black brushed effect finish, Its physical dimensions are (w)94.3 x (h)58.6 x (d)4.2(cm) or 94.3 x 61.6 x 25.0(cm) including its stand. The Screen itself is LED, (Basically thats good for us as it means we get a Brighter clearer picture than that of an equivalent LCD TV at the same time using far less energy, In my case this TV uses around 96Watts, it uses a quarter of the power my old set used meaning its saving me on utility bills.) The TV carries the Sony ECCO range badge and gets an "A" rating on the E.U electrical appliance power consumption chart. Other green features include The Presence Sensor which temporarily turns off your TV picture to save energy when there is no movement in the room, the remote control has a sensor in it also so just picking the remote up is enough to bring the set out of power saving. Theres also Light Sensor which adjusts the pictures brightness according to the room's ambient light to save energy and reduce electricity bills.

Specifications and Connections!
Screen size (cm) : 102
Frames Per Second : 200 Hz
Aspect ratio :16:9
Full 3D : Transmitter buitin
Sony Active Shutter Glasses required (sold seperately)
Sony TDGBR100B 3D Active Shutter glasses (requires 2032 cell batteries)
Sony TDGBR250B 3D Active Shutter glasses (Rechargeable)
****Best place to buy is on amazon!*********
Using 3D, i.e From Playstation, Bluray or Sky Box
a high speed HDMI 1.4 spec cable is required per 3D device

Audio
Speaker type : Invisible speaker (with Sound Elevation)
Audio power output : 20W (10W x 2)
Sound mode settings : Dynamic / Standard / Clear Voice

1 x RJ45 Ethernet connection
Wifi capable, requires Sony UWABR100 USB dongle
SKYPE requires Optional Sony CMU-BR100 USB Video Camera with Mic

Features / Smart TV!
The TV's main interface has been updated, dropping the tradtional / simplistic PS3 / PSP menu system, enabling the viewer to still watch the television while they change the settings or look for media, Anyone familiar with any recent Sony product will instantly get to grips with the interface, again the help manuals are built in and are all accessible from the home screen as well as shortcut buttons.

The set has a built in web browser for surfing, at the moment with the current firmware the browser is unable to view videos embedded in webpages but thats a minor flaw, overall the web browser isnt too bad its not the fastest web experience but hey your surfing the internet on your tv whilst watching eastenders ! yes the set will do split screen enabling you to use your pc and watch tv at the same time. I hear you ask it must be painful typing in URL addresses without some kind of keyboard present, I agree with you thats true, the remote supplied although well made and functional does not have that facility but this is where your smart tv really comes into play, Sony working with Apple have developed a free application for iPAD and iPHONE users, using WIFI your mobile device becomes the full remote control including keyboard now searching through google is once again fun and simple! Im not sure if there is an app for other handsets but if there isnt im sure its coming. Failing that the set has USB ports, i havent tried this yet but simply plug in a USB Keyboard I dont see any reason why this wouldnt work.

Being a smart tv, you have access to Widgets & APPS like facebook, twitter & skype. You can watch tv and use facebook at the same time, not sure if thats a good thing as a lot of peeps I know are addicted to facebook LOL!
for skype you will need the sony camera (see specs above for details) However I will connect my Microsoft webcam to see if a generic camera can be used. It may be a long shot but if it works will of just saved £93 as
Sonys peripherals are quite expensive.

The TV has a whole host of Internet music and video options, Including services from Love film, Sony and you tube Not forgetting BBC iPlayer. However At present Channel 4 OD and ITV Player isnt available via the TV which is odd because I have them on My PS3 however Im sure they are coming.

The TV has builtin Free view HD, giving you BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, ITV HD and Channel 4 HD. The picture is good even with the poor aerial im using, thats also saved me upgrading my scart only sky digital box, saving me £10 a month on subscription fees!

Talking about USB, this tv really elimates the need for a VCR or Any type of hard drive based recorder
using the USB interface simply take an external USB flash drive (over 32Gb) or hard drive. Connect it to the main usb socket and via the home menu mount the drive for use with the tv, once that has been done your tv will record any digital tv program directly onto that storage. All recordings can be viewed or deleted via the home screen. The TV will support hard drives upto 1Tb. Please note it will reformat the drive so make sure its a spare disk as you cant share the disk with the TV and a PC etc. As always backup your stuff!. At present the TV will only record off the air, I tried to manually record something from the scart input but I wasnt allowed but again a minor issue.
other features include remote streaming of media from a windows PC, connect your media to the USB sockets for direct playback! i.e USB thumb drives, MP3 players and IPODs. However I havent had much success with track names connecting an ipod to the tv via usb as the tv just addresses the ipod as removable storage but im sure Sony will fix that in an upcoming firmware update.

The picture is very sharp, the blacks are pretty much spot on and the motion (200Hz) is fluid and very smooth,
makes fast moving pictures look much better, a problem that has plagued LCD tv;s since day 1.
Yes but what about 3D? its awesome anything to do with fish / wildlife!! amazing. I was lucky to of liberated a Sony 3D Demo bluray. I always play this to friends who havent experienced 3DTV yet it converts them!. I have to admit GRAN TURISMO 5 and WIPEOUT HD on the PS3 are amazing!!. Especially the depth from the cockpit views its very good.

I can go on and on about this TV as it is jammed with features, yes there are 2 main downers to this tv
The 3D glasses are expensive, well made but pricey and retail at £109 a pair and your gonna need atleast 2 pairs but if you shop at amazon you will find them for half of what currys ask for. The second is the built in Speakers, as the tv is thin/small so are the speakers therfore there isnt really any bass you will need a home theatre or the like to get the true A/V experience. Again Sony have made a Standalone speaker bar which can connect directly underneath the TV (making it one piece). That particular speaker bar is the Sony SA-40-SE this will probably cost around £250. Ideal if you dont have space for speakers or a home theatre kit.

Im gonna stop there!
Bottom line, Smart TV the revolution is here :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing 3d LED TV, 30 Jun 2011
This is a fantastic TV for the price, simply put, it is fantastic TV. If you search for reviews of this TV you will probably find very mixed opinions. I am no expert, but the picture quality in both SD and HD is amazing, it is easy to use and set-up, the internet functions are a simple and for a family TV you won't get much better than this. The 3D is about as good as you can get, especially if you are using the TV as a general family TV, and I cannot rate it high enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Bravia, 26 July 2011
Brilliant picture for a 100hz led, cannot complain at all. Bravia Engine really does make fast action viewing smoother and the 3D is amazing, only downside as found with all 3d tv's is that the glasses are very expensive. delivery was brilliant and quick. 5 stars for Price, Picture quality and 3D imaging Plus very easy set up. I also bought the Sony BDVE370.CEK 5.1 ch Blu-Ray Player and speakers, all together this makes a Great Value for money cinema system. I Cant get enough ..... .... Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be without it now., 29 Aug 2011
For the price, which I feel is very good, this Sony 3D TV is worth every penny. It really has everything and much, much more. It is also very easy to set up even for me. I was a Samsung person but I am converted to Sony. I was pleasantly surprised on how much this 3D TV can really do. And it looks good too.

5.0 out of 5 stars superb tv, 21 May 2011
Excellent tv, hd picture is amazing and 3d very good(no need for 3d sync unit). Internet tv gets used everyday for iplayer or love film, track id is useful. There are more than enough hdmi connections and the tv looks amazing very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome purchase, 25 Dec 2011
Spent a lot of time researching which tv was best for us, watch mostly sport and movies so considered plasma but was concerned over a few reviews about noisy plasmas so instead opted for the 46" Sony.

This is an awesome tv and so glad I picked this one. Was not sure about 46" beforehand but it is fantastic, we sit about 10-15 feet away and there is no visible pixelation and football motion is very smooth.

Thought I might need to upgrade to sky hd, but SD looks great so will wait for sky to reduce their hd cost. Sitting at my closest seat, about 9 feet, could probably do with hd, but beyond that SD is absolutely fine, far far better than I thought it would be for such a large screen.

Options are incredible, Internet, slideshows and music on USB stick. Network connection to home pc so can access all pictures and music via dlna connection. Easy to connect to home router via Ethernet so have not tried optional wifi add-on. Used reasonable priced Hd cables which are fine, no need to pay a fortune for those in my opinion. Automatically performs software updates.

Had read some reviews about lack of keyboard - I agree, Sony if you are listening - a keyboard option would be useful, especially a Bluetooth option, however I have used the screen keyboard via the remote control and it is quite usable once you get the hang if it. My preferred option for keyboard is to use my linked iPod touch with the Sony remote control app - just use the keyboard on the iPod screen, just like the screen keyboard on a smart phone. Being able to use an iPod touch as the remote control is also a cool option. Whole family is impressed. Far better than the old 28" CRT it replaced. We only wish we had invested in such a good tv sooner.