5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent accessory
I bought this to fit a Nikon D3200 as I have a wedding to photograph and wanted to have enough battery power to get through the day in one. I can't comment on the rumour that you can use a third party battery together with a Nikon one as I am using two Nikon batteries.

Published 19 months ago by Mr. Robert W. Rosamond

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job..
It works fine, VERY cheaply made plastic though, does the job though i guess. Is ok for the money i guess
Published 13 months ago by Matthew Zajczyk

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent accessory, 30 Mar 2013
Mr. Robert W. Rosamond (Nottingham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Neewer Professional Vertical Battery Grip Holder for Nikon D3100 SLR Digital Camera EN-EL14 Battery (Electronics)

Using the two Nikon batteries it works and fits perfectly. In fact, it makes the D3200 more comfortable to hold if you have big hands (I do).

It comes with a cable to connect to the side of the camera to allow use of the shutter release on the battery holder. However, this means leaving the cover door open. Not a fan of this idea as it will allow dirt and dust to get into the connectors so I won't be using it. It will make no difference to me though as, when I had a Nikon F4S, I never used the shutter release on the battery holder any way as I much preferred to use the top release at all times.

All in all I find this excellent value for money.

Edit: I had heard that the battery cover from the D3200 did not fit in the storage space in this battery holder. That is not true; it fits perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect..., 6 May 2011
First I would just like to say that the delivery was very prompt, arrived within 3 days.

As far as the products goes I am very happy with it. It has the same design as the camera in terms of the rubber and the casing, so it doesn't look like a random add-on.

It does indeed work with a third party battery, you just have to put the original one in first. However, I personally wont be using the original and the third party ones at the same time. I will use them one after the other, as you can take the original one out and the third party one still works.

Once attached it feels very solid and it doesn't move at all. In addition, the shutter release feels exactly the same as the one on the camera. The cable for this doesn't get in the way for me when shooting, but when reviewing on the camera, it is where I would normally hold. But this is not a major problem for me.

The door for the battery compartment doesn't fit a snugly I would want it to. It doesn't move around as such, it could just do with a damper on the inside. I have added a piece of cork, the kind you can use under furniture etc... and that has stopped it hitting.

Overall, a very good product for the price. I would certainly recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just lovely., 19 April 2011
I must say I do love this grip. It isn't as perfect as a grip could be. But its what we have and it makes me happy.

What makes me particularly happy is you can use a 3rd party battery in it. I bought a 3rd party battery on Amazon and I was very sad when I got a message on my camera to tell me that it is not compatible. But after a bit of tinkering about I found out how to use it in the grip. First insert the Nikon battery in either of the slots, then in the other slot put in the 3rd party battery. As long as you put them in that order it will work. You can then remove the Nikon battery and power it only using the 3rd party one. I dont have another 3rd party battery so I cant tell you if works with two. I would dare say it does as long as the Nikon battery is plugged in first.

Other than that handy feature it is exactly what you might expect from a grip. The 2nd shutter button works and feels exactly like the first. The wire connecting the grip to the camera doesn't get in the way at all. Fit and finish isn't perfect. It doesn't line up exactly with the body (maybe a millimetre longer). If have OCD it may bother you, if not, you may not notice it.

I give it 2 thumbs up :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice grip, nice price too, 7 Sep 2011
M. Roberts "Mark Roberts" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
I bought this grip after reading reviews about how better balanced the camera felt with a big lens on. After fitting my 70-300 lens to the body, i can see why! :) Much easier to hold the camera with the grip on, looks a lot more substantial too. The exta lead plugged in to make the shutter release in the vertical position does not bug me either. I probably will not keep it on the camera, as i like the small size and portability using prime and smaller lenses, but with my bigger lenses it does balance it out nicely. At this price too, for me is a no brainer. Has almost exactly the same speckle pattern as the body of the D3100 so it does not look like an afterthought either. Gave it four stars instead of five purely on the build quality, although it looks great, you really would not want to be dropping it from any heights at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars grip for Nikon D3100, 30 Sep 2011
Have only had this grip for the day but it seems extremely good value for the money. Sure you can get the same grip for even cheaper from Hong Kong but goodness knows how long you would have to wait to get it.

It is not exactly true that you have to use the side cord to take pictures vertically. It merely means that without the electric cord attached to the camera and grip that the vertical shutter on the battery grip will not work. This is not a problem.

All you have to do is use the camera's own shutter button. The best way to do this IMO is to hold the camera as though you were shooting horizontally then cross your wrists in front of your neck and fire the shutter with your thumb. (the camera will now be vertical, of course with the shutter button at bottom right). Result, you have two hands properly holding the camera and the lens and with your elbows braced against your ribs, and you don't have any spare elbow floating in the air. If you shoot with one elbow in the air you are effectively using just one hand to hold the weight of the camera and lens, and if you were in a press pen you would be highly unpopular.

To sum up, the grip is a bit clunky and the documentation is poor but I think the grip is good value for money. and I certainly could not go back to using the camera without the grip. It also of course makes a too light camera to be properly balanced and with additional weight so there is less likelihod of camera shake. The only thing now is to get a tiny piece of duct tape to cover the pin hole on the side of the grip to keep rainwater and snow out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Until an official battery grip is released, it'll do just fine!, 22 Feb 2012
S. Banda "A Boy Named Su" (London, England) - See all my reviews
The only reasons it gets 4 instead of 5 is because:

a) It requires the cord
b) You can't adjust the manual settings via the battery grip

However, it looks great, fits perfectly and works just like the actual shutter button, even in burst mode. It feels wonderful!

Was a little skeptical myself but I figured as far as accessories go, you couldn't go too far wrong at £19. Turns out it could hardly be more right (see points a and b above).

So this review is for anybody who really wants this product but is unsure of the quality. Just get. Apparently it works with third party batteries but I figured I'd use what I saved on this to buy an official battery, so won't be able to offer any input on that note.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant product., 12 Jan 2012
great product. Cheap, functional. works a treat. why spend tons of cash on a genuine Nikon product when the only benefit you will get is having a brand name on the product. that is not going to improve the picture quality, is it?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fit for purpose, 4 Nov 2013
This grip fits my D3200 and is fit for purpose. High end quality it is not however value for money it is. If you want the convenience of extra battery capacity then this is for you if you want to impress others then it is not.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price. Perfect for beginners!, 12 April 2014
Product works perfectly, and for the price and given that i am an amature photographer, is more than adiquate for my needs. Its a very easy to use unit, nothing complicated and straightforward. One little thing i will say, the shutter button doesn't always work. But given the price and the build, I myself am not too bothered about this. Others may think differently!

The only negative part to this delivery is aimed at UPS, the courier who delivered my package. I had purchased the item a week previous. Amazon dispatched it promptly as always. But when UPS took up the courier, thats when everything went sideways....again!! Firstly, without reason or informing me, UPS cancelled my order?! I called Amazon customer support. They helped me out and i had a refund in no time. I ordered a replacement order of the same product and got free shipping. Thank you Amazon. But UPS were there to knock the silver lining off. Not only did they not deliver on time, they slipped a blank delivery notice through my letter box. I called about this and was told that the item had been delivered?! It turns out that the delivery driver took it upon himself to hand over my package to a complete stranger who lived a few doors away from me!!! Upon finding this out, UPS sent a courier to collect the package, and even though i was at home, they would not deliver it to me that evening, but instead said i had to receive delivery the next day?! I was told that delivery would be before 12pm. Delivery arrived at 18:00!!

Amazon, you were perfect.
UPS, a complete disaster and i will never use their service again for anything!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 23 Nov 2013
Bought this for my D3200, fits a treat, not too fussed about using the cable as previous comments state leaves some ports open to the elements. Using oem battery with original. Certainly gives the camera a bit more bulk but no issues experiencd thus far. Worth giving it a go for the price especially at the price of originals. Fast delivery.