3,675 Reviews
 (1,987)

5.0 out of 5 stars These are "Beast!" (according to my son...)
I bought these as an early birthday prezzy for my 15yr old son after much deliberation & reading of various reviews on here for all manner & makes of earphones.
He's had a few sets over the past year (including SkullCandys) that just don't seem to be able to take the frequent use.
He uses them every day on route to school or for a little gaming on his iPod...
Published on 11 Dec. 2011 by VioletAngel

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor fit, weak material, broke unexpectedly after 6 weeks
Published 21 months ago by Adrian Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor fit, weak material, broke unexpectedly after 6 weeks, 7 Aug. 2013
This review is from: JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosives In Ear Canal Headphones (Electronics)
Firstly, I'm an avid music fan, so I wanted a decent pair of earphones until I could afford to splash out on some quality headphones and these fit the criteria, but within 6 weeks the left earphone went out and the supplier will not respond to my messages. When they did work the sound was good, although I felt they overcompensated with the bass and subsequently neglected the overall crispness of the overall sound.

They were also not comfortable and kept falling out of my ears, even when I changed the ear buds. And if you're thinking about using them for jogging? Forget it. They barely stayed in my ears whilst walking, let alone jogging.

Overall save a bit more and buy some Sennheiser earphones (any around the £25-30) as they will last at least a year. You get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are "Beast!" (according to my son...), 11 Dec. 2011
He uses them every day on route to school or for a little gaming on his iPod Touch.
He told me that the sound quality when listening to music is very good (particularly with the dubstep that he enjoys),the bass pick-up is great,and what he said to me was "Mum,my new headphones are beast! Thankyou so much" :)

Our conclusion is that for a cheaper but quality & pretty robust set of earphones you really can't go far wrong with these ones :)

**7 MONTHS AFTER PURCHASE: These earphones did finally succumb to the constant day in,day out nigh on 24/7 use that my son inflicted on them. One of the earphones did fall off of the cord completely. However my son loves them so much he has requested a 2nd pair. We'd still recommend them as you can't help just general wear & tear & pretty hard handling from a 15yr old.** :)

1.0 out of 5 stars They just stop working through one side which is really annoying and so I find myself constantly replacing them, 17 Feb. 2015
I have bought these earphones 3 times because of the high quality sound. The only problem is that I have had to buy 3. They just stop working through one side which is really annoying and so I find myself constantly replacing them, which is a waste of money. Now I find myself looking for an alternative brand in the hope of finding the same quality but longer lasting.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Product, 25 Oct. 2011
These headphones are simply amazing.

- Their technical details are very close to that of the Dr. Dre headphones at only the 1/6 of its hefty £120 price tag.
- Their noise cancelling is very good while the music produced is simply breath-taking.
- Its rich deep bass sound produced is as good at higher pitches.
- Its appearance is very aesthetically pleasing even quite cool.
- It is very comfortable even after long periods and it stays in your ears unlike many other headphones.

Very pleased with it and would recommend to everyone else who is looking for any great decent headphones at a low cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 and a half years of use review (RECOMMEND READING THIS), 26 May 2014
I had these things for two and a half years, so i will try and comment on as much as I can. I use the past tense because sadly i'm going to have to replace them, I played music full volume through them to demonstrate how loud they are (ive done this before and they were fine, i think the fact they were so old made the difference) and now the quality has diminished slightly, so i thought id get another pair ;)

Positives:
-Fantastic sound quality, as good as or even better headphones worth 5 or 6 times more.
-Extremely strong bass, to the point where if you listen to some songs it sort of sends you into a trance (The XX - Fantasy for example)
-very loud so about 60% volume on an iphone is good and if you have particularly quiet track you can boost the volume a bit.
-Ridiculous durability, they lasted me two and a half years with no faults in build quality after lots of abuse. They've been through the wash once where they temporarily lacked sound quality for about a week but then got better. I used them almost every day for multiple hours and the only change in quality was the bass became less overpowering after about a month (so they got better).
-Price
-Great comfort, fits well, isolates alot of sound (excellent for just closing your eyes and listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or something). can use for 15 hour car journeys without discomfort.

Negatives:
-When running in cold weather (lower than 5 celsius) they take about 10 minutes to warm up and stop falling out
-If you listen to music which has alot of bass but also alot of detail in the mids to highs they can occasionally get drowned out, not a problem if your music is mainly one or the other, or just quieter.
-they are big so it is uncomfortable to sleep with them in if you lie on one side
-You need to be listening to at least high quality mp3's, low quality songs ripped off youtube are painful to listen to.
-standard buds are loose so i recommend buying replacement ones

to be honest the negatives are only really small problems, and all but the one to do with overpowering bass can be avoided easily.

Overall, exceptional performance all round and to be honest im quite upset im going to have to replace them, i feel they deserve a vikings funeral.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 5 Aug. 2013
Lost my Sennheiser again and decided to get a cheap alternative. Read the reviews here and went for them. Ok, packaging and presentation: good. But that's not why you bought them right? The sound gets 3/10 - quite disappointing really. That's on top of left headphone being dead. That's right, I can only hear with the right one. Not after 2 weeks or 1 month use - they arrived like that. So buy them at your own peril. I already ordered a new set of Sennheisers and will keep this pair on an extremely rainy day emergency.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best in-earphones you can buy for under a tenner, 30 Oct. 2013
R. Moody (Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a good value set of in-ear phones after breaking the cable on my old earphones so after seeing all the positive reviews of the JVC HA-FX1X in-ear phones on Amazon, I bought a set for myself.

I am pleased to report that they are even better than I expected. Build quality appears to be good, noise isolation is very good and the bass is quite something, being impressively powerful and deep, something rarely found in earphones in this price range. They play a fair bit louder than the average earphones too so no need to turn up the volume with these in your shell-likes, unless you have a "deaf-wish". Even at high volumes, the JVCs handle it very well with no discernible distortion. I mainly listen to rock, pop and R&B with a little classical music now and again and found these earphones provide very good sound quality across the board with good instrument separation. For good measure, you also get a pocketable plastic carry case to protect them when not in use which is always handy and should help prolong their longevity.

Ignoring the great value-for-money these offer, if I was to be hypercritical about the sound quality, midrange is a little lacking and vocal highs and drum cymbals can sound a bit harsh and overly bright sometimes. This is less noticeable when listening to higher bitrate quality audio files though and is probably a by-product of the bass-boosted sound these have been tweaked to produce. In my experience, there are also few in-ear headphones that don't benefit from the help of an equaliser and these are no different. Setting my audio player's eq frequency bars to a gentle inverted V shape with the peak in the mid-range and the trebles set a little lower than the bass makes the listening experience through these more enjoyable for me.

I have tried quite a few other cheap in-earphones and these blow them all out of the water for sound quality. Another 3 orders went in from other members of my family after comparing them to their own earphones so that tells a similar story. There are better budget in-earphones on the market - SoundMAGIC E10s, ES20s or Sennheiser CX300s would be my picks - but they cost three or four times what these cost and if you accidentally break the JVCs, at least you won't be crying all the way to the bank to replace them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small price great sound, 28 Feb. 2013
Wanted something for travel.

I doubted that these cheap headphones would deliver any useful sound quality, thankfully I was wrong!!

Most of you will listen to MP3's ripped at a reasonable quality - not lossless.

From this starting point it is like putting "lipstick on a pig" opting to throw money at extremely expensive headphones.

I did try and waste my cash (honest) and spent nearly an hour at a retail outlet in the airport trying out SHURE, B&W, BOSE headphones at nearly 10 times the price of these humble JVC's. I left feeling somewhat bemused by these so called "top quality" items.

Shure over the ear cable loop was ridiculous, I should not need a lesson in how to wear my headphones!! Plus how do I wear my reading glasses with that cable in the way. Maybe I should get my eyes lasered.

B&W even more nonsense with a small plastic loop that you adjust for perfect fit - 5 minutes in and I was losing the will!

Bose - well, if you have money to burn then buy these and replace with a better pair later .....

There were a lot of other makes that the very patient sales assistant tried to tempt me with, but I began to suspect a conspiracy amongst the manufacturers - I am so glad that I resisted temptation.

So to the JVC's

Clearly not top of the range for those audiophiles with perfect hearing (sitting in a darkened perfect acoustic pod).

But when I get on that plane/train/bus, I am happy to let the JVC's block out most of the ambient noise and deliver some decent sound to me.

When I snag them or they drop from my pocket ( a universal fate that befalls all precious tech!) I can get another pair and not have to auction a kidney to fund them!

Simple but effective case and they do fit the headphones and cable inside (you do not have to leave the earpieces dangling out, as has been suggested in other reviews - that is just the way they arrive in the package).

3 pairs of plugs small med large - small worked well - slight ridge on the moulding that might get uncomfortable for some people (but it is a very small ridge)

Cable is a good thickness and not too much noise back to the phones when it rubs on clothing. Equal length to the earpieces (I do prefer an offset, but that is a personal thing)

I am now buying a second pair so I have a set in reserve.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic/Sporadic Loss of Volume over Time, 12 Dec. 2012
I purchased these headphones just over 3 months ago, and was initially very pleased with them, I would typically use them at around 40% volume with my laptop and 70% with my iPhone- both levels being VERY loud with these headphones.

However, after a few weeks of moderate use, I would find that my music seemed definitely quieter, and adjusted the volume levels accordingly. Not long after that, I would put on a song, think the headphones were at about 50% volume (often lower in the right ear than the left), and tap the volume+ button on my phone, only to discover it was already at 100% volume....

My initial reaction was to assume that the extreme bass levels had rendered me deaf within a matter of weeks (an impressive feat!), However this could not be the case as I was now able to pick up conversations and external sounds, with the headphones at "full volume", compared to when I first purchased them, and ALL external noise was eliminated at ~65% volume.

The volume levels seemed to fluctuate over the following 6 weeks, sometimes it would be loud enough(only at 100% though), other times, it would suddenly go much quieter, often upon adjusting the fit of one side within my ear.

Today, I put on a podcast on my phone, and couldn't even make out the words of the conversation, at full volume. When I arrived home, I plugged the headphones into my laptop, to test them there, and can only JUST make out the audio of youtube videos, again at 100% volume.

In conclusion, I'm aware that this may well be a rare fault, however I thought I would let others know anyway, in case any one else is experiencing the same... I'll probably buy another set, as they are great value for the performance I experienced for the first few weeks of use, and hopefully the issue doesn't re-occur. If it does, I'll post a comment to this review letting you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled! Can't praise them enough!, 11 Dec. 2012
I bought mine from SHAFTWAY INC for £12.59 with free postage. Arrived 11am this morning and i've been using them non-stop till 3pm. So first thing is that they are comfortable to wear for 4 or more hours! They do not feel at all big when in your ear even though they look a tad large. Come with 3 bud sizes, the mediums already fitted were perfect for me. I've been standing alot, walking about, sitting down etc today and at no point did they feel like they'd become loose in the ear.
First impressions out the packet are they're definetely bass orientated, which is what they were designed for really. Vocals tend to sound a tad bassy too(listening to Radio 1 Live Lounge 2012)compared to my Sennheiser CX300 2's, but thats a very very minor gripe, as when i listened to Dire Straits 'Brothers in Arms' after, it was pure magic! Amazing.
The cabling is split traditionally in the 'Y' design, i've always had round-the-neck cables but tbh i prefer the 'Y' design. Simple and fuss-free. The cable is of decent thickness(thicker than Sennheisers was) and doesn't tangle, and should survive a fair few accidental tugs. Something i liked was the straight jack plug. Again, simple and(for me) preferable for when using my Galaxy S3 in my pocket instead of the Sennhiesers 'right-angle' style jack plug.
They wrap up easily to fit in the plastic protective case.

For the price they are unbeatable, thats a fact. You'd most likely have to spend triple what these cost to get an earphone with any advantage over these. They're loud too!

*UPDATE*

Having used them for the week I've found they are very bass heavy and so you lose the mid and some treble, the treble sounds artificial and not crisp. They are not good if you listen to singing or tracks where vocals are plentiful as they have poor treble and mid which leaves the vocals with a bassy effect. And if you listen to music podcasts the sound using these earphones is not very good at all.
That's the bad stuff. The good is that they feast on dance music recorded at a high quality! Daft Punk is amazing!
The seal they create in your ear is 100% perfect. There is no fiddling with the buds to get a good seal. Its a push in ear, job done. Much better than my old Sennheisers. And they stay put.
Build quality is great, nicely thicker than normal cabling and tangle-free, the only thing I'd like is an adjustable clip to secure the cable to your T-shirt etc.
All in all a good pair of earphones just not best suited to vocals