5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful designed compact trackball
When I was looking at this trackball here at Amazon there were two very negative reviews but I have had such good experiences with Kensington trackballs and this one looked perfect for my use and so I bought it. I am very glad I did because it is excellent.

Published on 14 July 2012 by Patrick James

3.0 out of 5 stars copy pasting very hard to do
I purchased this from Amazon because I have carpal tunnel and 25 yrs of using a mouse caused severe nerve damage to my wrist,spine,shoulder,arm 2 nearly numb fingertips makes it impossible to type. Sadly my pinky and ring finger on my left hand has forced me to become right handed.

My career for 25 yrs has me constantly using a mouse. This is my first...
Published 17 months ago by miracle

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful designed compact trackball, 14 July 2012
Patrick James - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kensington Orbit Wireless Mobile Trackball Mouse - Black (Accessory)

I first started using trackballs in 1992 when I was living in a tiny flat in London. Space was so limited that I did not have enough space to use a regular mouse so I bought a Kensington trackball for my Mac LCII and soon I realised it was a superb input device.

Today I use the brilliant Kensington Expert Mouse (it is a trackball) with my Mac Pro, but I also have a MacBook Pro and when I am travelling I wanted a petite trackball to use with it. I searched Amazon and of course this little Kensington trackball looked just right.

And it is just right! The two negative reviews are understandable. One person just couldn't get on with it, and to be honest I think that if you have never used a trackball then this little one would seem hard to get used to after a regular mouse. Another person found that his little finger would not work well with this trackball, however I find the trackball to fit my hand very well, and I have quite large hands.

Smaller trackballs are harder to get used to than the bigger ones so I recommend keeping this trackball for a while and try getting used to it, if you find it disconcerting at first. This trackball is very free in movement, which I like, but at first it might seem rather lively. Soon however you will readjust to it and it will seem very natural and extremely fast and accurate.

This little trackball has a very clever system for scrolling. This is done by moving your fingers around touch sensors either side of the trackball. It works well for me.

The trackball has two buttons, some people like a lot of buttons on input devices but I am not one of them. My Kensington Expert Mouse (it's a trackball) has four buttons but I find I mostly only ever use two of them.

With the Kensington "Trackball Works" software you can configure it so that pressing the two buttons at the same time gives a third action. As the buttons are on the sides of the device this feels very natural to do, it is just a squeeze. I have "drag" configured for the third action.

I think this petite trackball is very attractively designed and nicely finished. It sits very squarely on the desktop and even though it is light it is stable. This stability is important in a trackball because unlike a mouse, the trackball body does not move :)

If you do buy it and it seems a bit odd, then give it a bit of time. Once you adjust I think you'll be glad you stuck with it for a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Marmite Trackball, 15 Jan 2013
Seems you either love or you hate this little chappie. After long since used the good old wired Logitech Marble Mouse and loving it at that time, I decided I fancied moving back to a trackball style mouse as I always preferred the method of rolling a ball around rather than swiping around on a mousemat. I wanted another centre located trackball, but I also wanted USB wireless and it surprised me how that narrowed my options down.

Now I read pretty much every review I could find for this one after seeing it and taking a liking to the design in the shop. Amazon US has loads more reviews but are just about as conflicting as the few found here, some rave about it, others criticized it's design and useability.

I've now been using this mouse for about 2 weeks and I've grown to really like it, it's true you really need to instal the TracballWorks software and tinker settings a little to get the best from it. I had some problems installing the software on Windows 7 64bit, but after nearly tearing my hair out I discovered it was simply a my AVG firewall blocking a cookie and that was stopping the instal. Once installed I adjusted the page scroll sliders to be more sensitive, and also inertial scroll which basically allows a fast swipe of the surface to keep an upwards/downwards page momentum scroll, a bit like spinning a disc. To stop the scroll early you can simply tap the touch area again to stop it, very nice IMO and I do find the touch scroll system responsive and pleasant to use unlike some reviewers have mentioned. I also chose clicking both left and right together to act as "back" for web browsing which caters for all my instant clicky needs.

As for the device itself, I personally think it looks great, it isn't the fingerprint magnet others have made it out to be and was pleasantly surprised for this as prepared myself for compromise here and it is one of my pet hates. Just looked at it now and can't even notice any prints on it without studying it and haven't bothered cleaning it since new. It fits nicely with my large hands, and the ball rolls lovely and smoothly while not being too loose. The micro USB adapter is a bonus but not something I was too bothered about as I'm a desktop user anyway, but great for those using laptops.

If I can find one negative so far, but this is really being picky, it's that the buttons are quite noisy with the clicks. If you've been using a nice silent mouse then this might sound a little like a mouse of the 80's at first :-) Doesn't bother me TBH but thought it might be worth mentioning.

So there we go, will you love or hate this trackball? You'll just have to try it for yourself and see how you get on as I don't think these reviews will really answer that question for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars copy pasting very hard to do, 21 Jun 2013

My career for 25 yrs has me constantly using a mouse. This is my first trackball. I am also an online mmorpg gamer and find the trackball works great. I will never use a mouse again, my new wireless razor mamba will gather dust.

My biggest problem with this trackball is when it comes to highlighting copying and pasting, it is hard for me to highlight and copy with left button on left side and paste with right side. The hardest part for me is highlight and copy.

I prefer an actual scroll wheel instead of dragging my finger on strips on both sides of the ball,it does not always work for me.

I like the heavy high quality feel of the trackball.

There is a switch on bottom to save battery but most of the time I forget to switch it off. I love being without wires. I am going to look at more of Kensington trackballs because how well this one is made. if anyone can recommend a trackball that can be used to play games on either Samsung note pad 2 phone or Sony Xperia Z tablet please leave a comment for me or recommendation for WIRELESS PC trackball that does not use the side ball. If anyone can tell me is there a way to use it on phone or tablet,this one I bought is used for PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars realy like this mouse, 30 Dec 2012
i chose this wireless mouse for my laptop as I allready had a trackball on my desk top and was verry pleased with it

5.0 out of 5 stars User friendly mouse, 11 Nov 2014
My favourite mouse and have 5 of these. At around £40 each, not exactly cheap, but very exact in navigating and using with ease.
The wireless trackball remains stationary on the surface eliminating the hassle of trying to control other mice on an uneven surface.
My only gripe about the Kensington Trackball is the USB dongle can easily get lost so my advice is to keep it permanently inserted onto the computer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent design and easy to use, 12 May 2014
This is the only wireless trackball I could find which also had scroll wheel functionality. The circular edge on the outside of the ball acts as a simple touch-interface scroll. So easy to use! Fits in my hand nicely as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Software Problem, 22 Feb 2014
The software for this would not download so I had to return it!
I will Just have to look for an alternative.
Scorboy

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than any mouse, 16 Feb 2014
This is a big improvement over the usual mouse,.
The only problem is that it collects dust under the ball and then it works erratically,
but the ball can easily be removed for cleaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tracker ball, 28 Jan 2014
I find this item extremly good but the software will not load on to my laptop or PC so I can not customise it which is a shame

5.0 out of 5 stars very sensative, 21 Jan 2014
good but finding have to get use to it as very sensitive, so I will have to carry on but I do also have my normal mouse connected to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›