4.0 out of 5 stars Let's get some perspective...
Published on 28 Dec 2011 by arabiansanchez

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Moments of Pleasure...
Published on 20 May 2011 by H. A. Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Let's get some perspective..., 28 Dec 2011
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
I just wanted to say, a lot of the negative reviews on her are being pretty unreasonable. This triple disc version features ONE disc of reinterpretations. You also get the 2 original albums remastered. Kate wanted to try something different, for her own satisfaction, and released this boxset so as to present the originals with an improved sound quality AND her reinterpretations as an older woman. This is an extremely sensitive way to go about a project like this and represents decent value for money even if you're not interested in the new versions.I actually don't own 'The Red Shoes' and agree with Kate that the sound on 'The Sensual World' was very flat. I'm very happy with these remasters.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Moments of Pleasure..., 20 May 2011
H. A. Davis (Huddersfield, Oooop North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
Really glad I gave this another go, because my original review title was 'Not Many Moments of Pleasure' Given the nature of this album, it really has to be taken on a track by track basis, which is something I don't normally like doing. I must point out that The Red Shoes was never my favourite album. However reading KB's comments about the original digital mastering, I think that has had something to do with my dislike of the album. It always had an unlistenable quality about it, pity I didn't get the box set of this then!

Anyway, here goes

1. Flower of the Mountain - Musically softer & less vital but not radically different, lyrically the original has it.
2. The Song of Solomon - An improvement over the original for me, but Wop, Bam, Boom?
3. Lily - Pretty much the same as above, without the Wop, Bam, Boom bit
4. Deeper Understanding - Erm, Er, The original has it. Auto Tune, really?
5. The Red Shoes - Again I prefer this version, a more 'played' organic feel to it.
6. This Woman's Work - This was always the one that would struggle to win me over, and it hasn't. I'm not saying this new arrangement is awful, it's perfectly fine, but it isn't the same song that can move me to tears. And I don't think it ever would have, had this been the original version. Original wins!
7. Moments of Pleasure - Benefits from the stripped back production & calmer feel compared to the original. I do like the original, but this new arrangement is beautiful.
8. Never be Mine - As others have said nothing much different here, just a softer feel again. A pleasant reworking, that's all.
9. Top of the City - Never really liked the original, this is better..just.
10. And So is Love - Great song, this version does nothing to change that fact.
11. Rubberband Girl - Oh well, she sounds like she enjoyed herself. Something I'll never do listening to the original or this version unfortunately.

So overall, an album of softer, less produced versions of the songs. Did we need this? Probably not, but she's done it and it'll keep her in biscuits or tofu or whatever.

Finally, quite a bit has been said about the perceived poor sound quality of this album. Unfortunately this has more to do with the overly LOUD poor quality mastering we have suffered for the last 15 years, than any problem with this album. Yes, the vocals could do with a bit more 'space' and top end and the bass end is intentionally soft, but think we've all forgotten what voices & instruments really sound like. And as for the album being quiet, that's because the mastering engineer has done his job properly and given this album dynamic range. Quiet things are quiet, and loud things are loud, it's not all at one fatiguing, clipped level and it retains the emotional impact of the music. The engineer has allowed you to determine how loud the music is, you are in charge of the volume control. One day all albums will have a dynamic range, just like they used to!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Bush retrofits her old material with style, 16 May 2011
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
This is a review of the three-disc Collector's Edition featuring newly-recorded versions of tracks from 'The Red Shoes(1993)'and 'The Sensual World(1989)'.The other two discs are a remastered Red Shoes and what seems to be an unchanged Sensual World.The newly recorded versions mainly feature new vocals,keyboards and percussion and are generally more stripped-down than the originals.Some songs are in a different key with entirely new vocal melodies and some are almost unrecognisable.I dont see this as an attempt to replace those old tracks-more like a re-imagining,like changing your furniture around.I have played the original recordings to death over the last 20 years and I personally prefer all of these updated versions.We again meet a quirky,playful and wierd Kate Bush,one that was maybe a little absent from the superb but earnest Ariel.

'Top of the City'from 'Shoes'I never really rated as a song,but the new version which is great,makes me realise that it was the original production that put me off,it always sounded a bit too big and epic for me,but this new take is better,less cinematic and leaner with more real sounding drums and shows off the song.

This version of Rubberband Girl is a real surprise-Something like 'Street Fighting Man'with muffled,naive vocals reminding me of Canned Heat or the really young Kate on Passing Through Air.

In a nit-picking moment I notice Eric Clapton's uninspired noodlings on And So Is Love remain intact.This song is probably the most unchanged rework on the record,but sounding much warmer than before

Moments Of Pleasure is revealed as a fantastic song-again free of the massive production that buried it before.This features a male-voice choir,maybe-giving a voice to the departed...

Never be mine,always a favourite has Kate bravely ditching the strong chorus and retaining the hypnotic Eberhard Weber bass melody to great effect

Probably the highpoint of this album is 'This Woman's Work'- a shimmering,crystalline piece of minimalism that almost made me float out of my chair.

The remixed version of Red Shoes does much to improve the sound.Some of the more musically-dense tracks that had sounded a little cluttered are now rendered clearer.I just wish some of those massive,reverberating 90's drums had been toned down just a little.I have always found this the most mixed of the albums-some killers but some tracks sounding like slightly overwrought 'normal'music which is a bad thing for a Kate Bush record.'The Sensual World' is a stunning piece of work-not actually requiring remastering as it has always sounded great.I am not going to review them in full here but I'd give Red Shoes 4 stars and Sensual World 5.

The actual singing is superb-with these long gaps between albums we notice in jolts how the voice changes over the years but the Kate Bush voice is still a beautiful instrument,capable of vast emotional depth and an effortless range of vocal textures from soft whispers to hard-edged bellows.She sounds more relaxed and playful than she did on Ariel,and on some of these tracks she does sound quite unhinged(In a good way).The backing vocals are beautiful,scary and unique-I have always carefully listened to Kate Bush BV's-an important component of the overall sound.

And the bass.Like Jimmy Page,putting the drums right up in the mix,Kate Bush's music has always featured the electric bass,allowing it to sing and be free.There is some awesome playing on this,with performances from John Giblin,Eberhard Weber and Del Palmer.In these more spacious versions the bass is melodic and prominent.

Any new material from Kate Bush is an event.My entire KB album collection of eight is now nine. I really liked this and I have to stop listening or I will become bored of it.Any fan will buy this anyway,and it seems more like a gift for us more than the general listener,but I hope it does well.Now Kate is in the mood for re-presenting her back-catalogue a cd of B-sides and 12" mixes would be really welcome-or do I get a USB turntable and dig out those old 45's?

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely packaged and overall very worthwhile, 21 Mar 2013
Martin Fielding (Findon, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
I was drawn back to listen to this again by desire to listen to the sublime track Never Be Mine and an underlying feeling that my somewhat lukewarm feelings (shared by a lot of other reviewers here) about the whole set on its release were perhaps overdone - and they were. This is beautifully presented triple set and the original album The Sensual World is perhaps second only to Hounds of Love as her best album. The other original album The Red Shoes is less consistently good, albeit remastered, but also has its highlights. The reworkings on the third disc range from better than the original eg. Deeper Understanding via simply different eg. Flower of the Mountain through to inferior eg. why oh why Kate did you remove the brilliant Davy Spillane's pipes from the reworked Never Be Mine? A star deducted for variability then, but a worthwhile experiment nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Kate, 2 July 2011
I. Duarte (Avare, Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
First of all, I do recommend the purchase of the Collector's Edition version of Director's Cut! For a few more pounds you will have a de-luxe edition in hard cover book with photos (old and new/unpublished ones), complete lyrics and 3 discs: Director's Cut itself, The Sensual World and The Red Shoes... as everybody knows by now!!! Kate's revisit to her previous albums of 1989 and 1993 was almost completely successful! I like most of the 11 songs on the album, although some of them should remain just the way they were released, in my humble opinion, as they were already perfect songs! "Deeper Understanding" is the main problem here, I think, since I loved the song on The Sensual World and I don't like it on Director's Cut, with all those distortions! "Rubberband Girl" in a folk style is not good either! "This Woman's Work" lost its feeling and "The Red Shoes" had much more strength originally. The highlights on Director's Cut are "The Song of Solomon", wonderful; "Lily", heavier and this time in a contagious rhythm; "Flower of the Mountain" is really beautiful with new lyrics and a nice and longer sequence of the bells in the beginning! "Never Be Mine" is still there with all of its appeal and the beautiful voices of Trio Bulgarka; "Moments of Pleasure" brings us an amazing and enchanting choir; "And So Is Love" is also nice, but the original one was better, sadder, but better... and "Top of the City" was never a favorite of mine and I don't like it here, either!
The negative review is due to a track from the remastered The Red Shoes, "Big Stripey Lie", which suffered an unexplained cut! One of my favorite sequences in the whole album is just the end of this song, with violins and that abrupt ending! But it was precisely this sequence that was changed in the remastered version of the album. The song fades out and the wonderful sequence disappears! It's a pity! I do not understand why that was changed! The music was perfect the way it was and the end was irreparable!
Anyway, the album is highly recommended ... Everything coming from Kate is well worth! If we can not be fully pleased, we can at least be surprised... And undoubtedly Director's Cut deserves the five stars!

3.0 out of 5 stars The brilliant Kate delivers again, 21 July 2011
J. Grant (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
My wife and I have been Kate Bush fans for many years and like many people, I was fearful when I heard that she was going to do an album of re-worked songs. Upon first listening, I still had doubts but now I have become familiar with the tracks, I cannot help thinking that this was a natural progression for such a creative and inspiring artist to make. Her voice is obviously different but now possesses a distinct maturity that lends tracks such as This Woman's Work with far more knowledge. However, there are some mistakes - Deeper Understanding which was such a poignant and beautiful song has been developed into something that wouldn't be out of place in Doctor Who and there is more than one moment where I found myself questioning whether she was meant to sound out of tune...

There have been many criticisms of this album with people asking what is the point but I think for an artist who has been working as long as Bush, there is a great urge to examine songs written earlier in life and see how your experience could develop them. For me, this is exactly what this album does - it may not be perfect but upon listening, you cannot help but smile at the thought of such an incredible artist applying new thoughts and skills to old work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Bush - musical maestro, 18 April 2013
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
I was a bit nervous about this, given that I love Kate's work and how could she possibly improve on 'Moment's of Pleasure'? Well, I guess the re-interpretation of this work is the nearest we are ever going to get to hear modern performances of old material from her. 'Lily' is a much better interpretation - her screaming at the end was like being transported back to 'The Dreaming' era.
'This Woman's Work' is also an improvement too - much more mellow, contemplative even.

4.0 out of 5 stars Curse of the Bad Packaging., 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
Every artist has the right to reinterpret their own music, as long as the originals still exist for those wishing to acquire them. The revisits on this set are fine- and the sound is a blessing, minimal compression, good dynamic range and very organic.
My only complaint, hence the deducted star, is the packaging. Did anyone manage to extract the first cd from it's skin tight sleeve with out scratching it, or finding it already damaged. I expect nothing less than a mirror like surface from a new disc.
This form of packaging is becoming so frequent, we do need a minor rebellion of some sort. It is not up to an art director to package in a manner that damages the item, a lesson the compilers of the Dark Side of The Moon Immersion set learnt to there cost.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kate...we love you but..., 16 May 2011
DM Webster "arakis2002" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
I'm an obsessive Kate fan and have everything she has ever done including all the bootleg and foreign stuff!! But I have to admit I was worried. I was concerned about why she would do it. I was concerned about what she would do to some of my favourite songs. Unlike most of the reviewers I thought The Sensual World was a good album although I drew the line at most of The Red Shoes.
Imagine my horror when my pre-ordered disc didn't come through the post this morning- although I've already heard it several times through her website and I've had to download it instead...

So here goes:
Flower of the Mountain- original was better because, as someone has already said, she's a better lyricist than Joyce.
The Song of Solomon- nice tweaks to her voice but not particularly different to the original.
Lily- Nice drums and bass. This is mostly an improvement on the original although the left and right shrieking at the end ruins it.
Deeper Understanding- Hate it. The theme is as relevant today as it was in 1989, if not more, but this sounds like the bastard child of Cher and Laurie Anderson.
The Red Shoes- She sounds a bit drunk at the beginning but once you get past that it works ok. This has much more energy than the original
This Woman's Work- Her voice sounds great on this one and I'm getting used to the new instrumentation.
Moments of Pleasure- I didn't think this could be improved on but this is just beautiful and the best track on the album by far. Love the humming!
Never be Mine- Reworking of the chorus is nice but there's not much different here apart from less Trio Bulgarka :-(
Top of the City- This is growing on me. I didn't like the original but the instrumentation is punchier.
And So is Love- I like this song in its original form and don't really see much difference in this version. I still like it but the changes are unremarkable.
Rubberband Girl- Always have hated this song and this has just made me hate it more! I had to force myself to listen to the end then wiped it from my ipod...

Finally- some things that don't seem to have been mentioned. Does anyone else think this sounds as though you are listening through treacle? The sound quality is really poor. She seems to have gone from tinny digital in the original tracks to thick and stodgy in these versions... And does anyone else think that although admirable, some of the vocal timings of these reworkings feel like she's trying to catch up on the instrumentation at times.

So this is a bit of a curate's egg- good in parts. Kate, I still love you but Aerial or Hounds of Love this aint.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cash Cow, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Director's Cut (Audio CD)
It's always disappointing when your teenage heroes let you down. I would actually have preferred not to have this album at all, because it's clearly been made as a money-spinner to pick up the slack for the NEW new album. I guess this is understandable with an artist like Kate who is far from prolific, but I personally feel...well..ripped off. I bought Lady Gaga's remix album and am happy to let that pound away while I do the housework or whatevs, but I expected more from a Kate-approved - by all account, Kate-instigated project. The packaging is beautiful,and the artwork. The remixed TRS doesn't sound very different to me at all. But DC itself is just awful. Kate's original lyrics were far sexier and more romantic - if she was so pleased that the Joyce estate finally let her use them, couldn't they have been a bonus track on the forthcoming album?
'Song of Solomon' just sounds like a warm-up for the original track, just with some of the more emotional vocals taken out. "TRS" with it's 'whoop whoop' sounds like a karaoke joke. "Never Be mine" and 'Top of the City' are just the same. I will admit to quite liking the "Rolling Stones" version of RBG - that's what I thought this album was going to be about; re-interpretation. But those awful WOOO-scary-ghost BV's (along with the lyric change - if life is 'sweet' why are all the ghosties so sad?) ruin ASIL. And the other two abominations 'TWW' and "MOP"...I find them unlistenable. It sounds like 40 years of - ahem - cigarette smoke has duffed up Kate's voice, and now she's just taped having her mates round and giving a couple of the old tracks a go. I do like what she's done with 'Lily' and 'Deeper Understanding', and I had hoped that's what the whole album would be like - alternative versions, not embarassingly inferior ones. Yes, I know the mantra of Bush religion (she doesn't owe us anything, blah, blah) but when you release an album as duff as this, you're kind of sticking two fingers up at the hardcore fans; after all, they are going to be the only ones buying it. All I can hope is that the $30 bucks I contributed will go toward the next album - which will be a thing of unsurpassed beauty; not unlike Aerial was.

ARRAY(0xb4b23354)

Director's Cut
Director's Cut by Kate Bush (Audio CD - 2011)