Published 17 months ago by Anorakus

3.0 out of 5 stars A very average film for Steven Spielberg.
I would have thought it almost impossible for Steven Spielberg to create a disappointing science-fiction film; unfortunately he some how managed it with this film.

Don't get me wrong, the film looks great and the special effects are fantastic. A lot of scenes are very well acted out and Jude Law performs probably the best dialogue scene I seen from him...
Published 15 months ago by Gatekeeper197

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and thought-provoking sci-fi, good blu-ray release, 21 July 2013
This review is from: A.I. Artificial Intelligence [Blu-ray] [2001] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
A.I. was for many years a pet project of Stanley Kubrick, who hired a number of writers to develop the screenplay until he finally handed it to Stephen Spielberg in the mid 90's. Ever the perfectionist, Kubrick felt that the special effects technology of the day could not do justice to his vision of the central "mecha" character, a robot capable of human love. Released two years after Kubrick's death, A.I. was entirely Spielberg's direction, yet the cold, detached first hour or so looks for all the world as if Kubrick was behind the camera. The last act is classic Spielberg and has been derided as being overly sentimental, but for me it's an effective conclusion to a powerful film that lingers for a long time after the credits roll. The blu-ray release is another victim of modern HD technology, in as much as it's been criticised for being grainy compared to the pristine grain-free look typical of recent transfers. As other reviewers have identified, A.I.'s grain is intentional and typical of other Spielberg films from the same period, and fortunately the transfer here retains this look whilst being sharp and colourful. The soundtrack is DTS-MA 6.1, punchy with plenty of surround effects, particularly evident during the "flesh fair" sequence. The blu-ray appears to carry over the same extras from the original DVD release, although I haven't checked this exhaustively. Overall a worthwhile upgrade to the DVD, especially for under a tenner, and don't let the negative comments about the grain put you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars So realistic, 2 Feb 2014
Wonderful masterpiece of a movie made by Haley, He preforms as if he was really a boy instead of a robot. Yes one movie that you can sit and watch in total relaxation and greatly enjoy. A fabulous storyline and the cast are fantastic. I was really in deep with this show that other things could wait, so from the beginning to the end, a packed fast action and suspense edge of the seat entertainment that has you glued to the television not wanting to move, A story about a robot made in the near future that lives in a world of anti robots that get pulled apart and destroyed, so when he is kicked out of his home because of their child a boy who recovers from a coma, teaches him things he can't do and must not do. To keep the peace between them she releases him into the world on his own with teddy another robot item to take care of him. After he is programmed to their lives the clock starts ticking and there is no way back for him so to go on and find his dream of being a family again. I rated this an A grade plus for marvelous entertainment so what are you waiting for go get the popcorn and put your feet up and entwine in a grand movie fit for a king. Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Artificial Intelligence - Natural Grain (Bluray review), 27 July 2011
Okay, let's get this out of the way, this is a grainy film, one of the grainiest I have bought in fact. Now let's get something else out of the way, it's supposed to look like this. Spielberg shot an at times washed out, dreamy and soft looking film, and it is shown here, warts an' all. It is not a bad transfer as some may think, a bad print wasn't used, nor could any "remastering" have been done to improve it. Applying DNR to "smooth" out the level of grain here would have probably created one of the worst Bluray releases so far. It would have removed every detail and texture and left us with a very bland picture. As it is the grain does dampen things a little, such is the speckly nature of it, but there is still far more detail shown here than on any previous release.

However, intentional or not, it is very grainy, this is more noticable at the start of the movie where it's mostly daytime scenes. It can be a bit distracting, but it also adds to the feel of the film. When things go a bit darker, in tone as well as in lighting, things do improve. The Flesh fair looks very good, the special effects hold up well, and that continues for the rest of the feature as they venture into the city and beyond. By the halfway mark the grain for me wasn't a problem, my eyes had adjusted, the grain had settled due to the darker scenes and more often than not, it looks very good. If I was to compare it to another bluray release, it would be Minority Report. If you were happy with the look of that film on Bluray then you should be fine here, if you thought it was too much then maybe pass on A.I.

We have a nice supply of extras on the disc. They cover many aspects of the movie from AI's creation, design, lighting, special effects, the robots, the actors, the soundtrack etc. Plenty to get your teeth into really.

Finally, if you can overlook/don't mind the level of grain here, then this is a good release and definitely a step up from the DVD. I saw A.I at the cinema and remember it well, it was never going to look silky smooth, and what we have here is a faithful representation of the Directors vision. It won't be for everyone but hopefully this review helps a few people in their decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Artificial Intelligence, Natural Magnificence, 29 Nov 2014
Scarlet Jupiter - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The "12" viewing certificate does not mean that there is material not suitable for younger audience, but clearly has to do with the more adult-oriented overall theme of the film, and their understanding / appreciation of it. The story of a young boy-robot programmed with emotion, as naive and simple as it may seem, proves a most complex and demanding affair. Yet, it makes for a riveting tale of how the feeling of love is overpowering his robotic programming. Not coincidentally, just like Antoine de Saint-Exupery's "The little prince", "A.I." is also a universal piece of art, with the youngest, yet, most wise protagonist. "The little prince" taught us that the essential things in life are seen not with the eyes, but with the heart. "A.I.", respectively, tells us that children give us the truthful wisdom we seek. This impressive Bluray presentation is most satisfying with the often massive audio and visual improvements (the much talked-about grain issue is finally put to rest), contributing to the movie's conceptual and executional excellence. Only let-down is the absence of any new extras, as those featured on here are the exact DVD bonus material with nothing new added. Still, a must-have item. Incredibly inspired, immaculately executed, spectacularly entertaining, utterly sublime, "A.I." is Steven Spielberg's (and Stanley Kubrick's) hidden masterpiece, a breathtaking contemporary fairytale.

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite work but visually stunning, 4 Sep 2014
James M. Shertzer (Winston-Salem NC) - See all my reviews
Kubrick couldn't pull it off and Spielberg doesn't either. Stanley kept this one on the back burner for decades, hoping special-effects would develop to the point where he could make this film work. But he well knew the REAL problem is the film's "third" act. Despite many wonderful visual and thought-provoking set pieces, the film really fails to come together, leaving viewers unsatisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars Would Stanley Kubrick have made it this way?, 14 Dec 2013
Andy B (Wellington, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
As Kubrick bought the rights to A.I. based on Brian Aldiss's short story "Super-Toys Last All Summer Long" it became a problem for him as he realised that with all the complexities of the story and his vision of putting it on screen the SPFX of his day could not do it justice especially in creating the main human-like android of the original story, and so he sat on it.

When he met Steven Spielberg and saw Jurassic Park he realised that the industry SPFX were right to achieve his goal he handed the reigns of production in 1995 to the young filmmaker. Ironically it was in 2001 that Speilburg made the film and I'm certain that Kubick would have approved.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Favourite, 17 Oct 2011
C. A. Kilgour "McCulloch" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
Surely this must be one of the most beautiful films ever made. The robot boy simply wants his adopted mother to love him. The ending is so sad, a real tearjerker. And this from someone whose other favourites are usually bloodthirsty or action films.

Technically I didn't find any of the defects mentioned in other reviews, but I only have a 37inch 720 Plasma, although at the beginning I was not aware that I was watching a Blu-Ray disk. However later on in the film, in the night sequences, the Blu-Ray showed much of the detail, previously hidden.

In my top ten films, looked good to me on Blu-Ray, glad I bought it, while still available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some grain, no pain, 6 Oct 2011
Chris White (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I don't share the view that A.I.'s Blu-ray presentation is a granular disaster.

Previously I have slated HD releases where I felt the grain to be excessive (An American Werewolf in London being a case in point). However, this was more a reflection of being a Blu-ray novice than an expert on cinematography. As my collection has grown I have come to welcome its presence.

As an inherent quality of celluloid, grain is readily apparent when magnified. Exactly how much is usually down to choices made when the movie was shot. The Godfather trilogy and The French Connection are further examples where it's more prevalent. The look of A.I. probably reflects the leanings of Stanley Kubrick, since it was his project that Steven Spielberg inherited.

For better or worse, the style is the prerogative of the director even though on occasion you may vehemently disagree with it. Personally, I now seek at least some grain in the image for it to look 'proper'. In so far as it appears in A.I., I wouldn't say at all that it's over the top; the picture is quite acceptable overall with no print blemishes. Admittedly it does look a tad noisy during the opening shot but that's an aberration rather than an indicator of the transfer as a whole. The sound (in DTS-HD 6.1) is crisp and clear.

If you haven't seen it, A.I. is a sci-fi fantasy that concerns a robot boy who has been programmed to love: a non-reversible process that creates problems when his adoptive family are unable to cope. It's quintessential Spielberg, complete with stunning production values and an exceptional performance from child actor Haley Joel Osment.

Also present on this Blu-ray are the comprehensive bonus features from the 2002 DVD release. There are five additional language tracks and twelve subtitle options.

I admire many of Spielberg's films and despite (or perhaps because of) its pure sentimentality, A.I. is on that list. Rather like its central character, you have to love this Blu-ray unconditionally to get maximum viewing pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Depressing Fun, 9 July 2013
This is a sad film. I watched it and enjoyed immensely. However, once it finished I had to listen to some cheerful music to stabalise my mood. It's well worth a watch but on a sunny day.

5.0 out of 5 stars so good to see it again, 12 April 2013
I was lead to believe that this transfer was grainy by other amazon reviews , but I found it to be better than the dvd and if there was grain , I didn't notice it , great film good disc

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›