4.0 out of 5 stars evolved.
Published on 7 Jun 2011 by D. T. Brunetti

3.0 out of 5 stars A schizophrenic album
Published on 6 Mar 2012 by Max Renn

4.0 out of 5 stars evolved., 7 Jun 2011
D. T. Brunetti "manmadeofjam" (North London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gloss Drop (Audio CD)
Firstly, I'll note the loss of Braxton. Since the release of Mirrored, Braxton released his solo album and from listening to that it was clear where his influences were on Mirrored. He was clearly influential in their sound, and even though he was the lesser known of the four (with the exception of Konopka - previously of the not-known-enough Lynx), his absence is notable.
It might be in part that he was a 3rd person to play instruments, which lends to their layered sound. But it's also apparent that he is an experienced (and excellent, as seen on Central Market) composer and multi-instrumentalist.

Aside from Braxton, Battles have coped very well and while this album took a little while to get accustomed to, it really is an excellent album. The non-vocal tracks have lines and melodies that centralise the tracks and stop them from being an exercise in how to create interesting poly-rhythms (something that Williams is not always able to do: a good example of his work being What Burns from the Don Cab back catalogue. A Bad one being the follow up..) but have no catchiness that makes you want to return.

The choice of vocalists are excellent too, all of which are probably considered quite out of the box thinking. Numan is a wonderful choice, making one of the stand out tracks in a conventional pop sense. Yamantaka Eye on the other hand gives an awful vocal which seems to push the band into a corner as to what to do with it, and so they come up with a bizarre sounding reggae/dancehall through a meatgrinder thing... which should've been a b-side to a song that no-one would buy. It ends the album in a way that is just horrible. Just wrong.

Matias Aguayo on the other hand is a choice that maybe only the world music fans would've pricked up their ears for. I'm quite fond of a range of inventive music, but Aguayo had not landed on my radar. Needless to say, a quick jog over to his album Ay Ay Ay shows Aguayo to be an inventive and clever musician who mainly uses his own voice to create full layered tracks. If Battles and Aguayo were to collaborate on a full album, it would probably make my album of the year.
Ice Cream, as a track, takes some getting used to. It's very different and as the first single, it must've confused a few fans... I think a listen to Aguayo's album would lend some understanding to Ice Cream.

All in all, this album took a bit of time to get fully into..

But when I did..

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not trust Pitchfork's review and try this, it's pure gold!!!, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Gloss Drop (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic follow up to Mirrored. It's different in many ways, but for somebody that has only listened to the debut or the EPs this would still be instantly recognisable as Battles, as many of the key structural elements are still there, including of course John Stanier's marvelous drumming. I cannot comment on Braxton's departure since it is impossible to tell what would have been different with him on it, but this work is certainly on a par with Mirrored if not slightly better.

Talking in terms of Pitchfork's scale, I'd say this is a solid 9 (so ignore their very stupid review) and Bon Iver's follow up is about a 6 max (idem), just to put my taste into some perspective. In any case, try before you buy and watch them live if you have the chance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid drop of Gold, 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: Gloss Drop (Audio CD)
This album has knocked my socks off. It's brilliantly inventive and upbeat. It puts a spring into my step and makes me punch the air with joy. And you can't argue with that.

Though a massive fan of Warp, this is my first Battles purchase, the previous work I never bothered with mainly because I never liked their big track Atlas, and as that annoyed the hell out of me I presumed the rest wasn't my cup of tea either.

This is a different beast. But a beautiful beast.

A future classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baffles!, 13 Jan 2013
Jeremy Fines (UK North) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gloss Drop (Audio CD)
Kind of knew what to expect after Mirrors, but I think this is more enjoyable. we still get the carefully constructed lunacy but it's tempered by the collaborations with other artists- giving much more depth to the album, and when the band go it alone the tracks are allowed to rock a little more, or funk, or whatever else breezes by. It sounds more spontaneous, more fun. Still don't know how they play some of this stuff. And Gary Numan!

5.0 out of 5 stars loving this album, 22 Jun 2011
Michael Kennelly (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gloss Drop (Audio CD)
All I knew of Battles' work before this release was Atlas.

I was reminded of their existence by the video for Ice Cream (which is glorious, check it out in the battlestheband channel on YouTube. I'd urge you to view other similarly excellent videos by the Barcelona collective known as 'Canada' at partizan.com, but lets not get sidetracked.)

Anyway Gloss Drop is a delightful album, at the time of writing there's only one other review and I just wanted to say don't be put off by comments about the closing track featuring Yamantaka Eye, I liked it and would would go so far as to say I thought it one of the best tracks, its all a matter of taste I suppose. I do agree with the other reviewer that Gary Numan is outstanding on 'My Machines' though.

I'm surprised not to see Vampire Weekend listed in either the 'people also bought' recommendations on Amazon or the related artists on Spotify - in my opinion of you like Vampire Weekend you'll really enjoy this album (and vice versa).

3.0 out of 5 stars A schizophrenic album, 6 Mar 2012
This review is from: Gloss Drop (Audio CD)
I love Battles, I have listened to Mirrored hundreds of times so was really looking forward to this release. Unfortunately it lacks the punch and coherence of the former work. Tyondai Braxton left halfway through the creation of this hence all the guest appearances by different musicians, it doesnt entirely work in my opinion. BUT, there are some fantastic tracks, like Inchworm, Wall st and Dominicon Fade. The Gary Numan track is weak.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good album, it just isnt as wondrous as Mirrored.

Favourtie track: Inchworm

Gloss Drop
Gloss Drop by Battles (Audio CD - 2011)