4.0 out of 5 stars An Old Grey Whistle Test Mauling Part 2
Well here I am again trying to defend the second installment of The Old Grey Whistle Test compilations. Not a lot of people agreed with me on my review of the OGWT's first 2CD compilation (see my other reviews) so I am setting myself up here for another '0 out of 20 found this review useful'!!
C'mon guys (and girls) - the music on here is by and large of an excellent...
Published on 29 Jun. 2011 by C. H. Turnbull

1.0 out of 5 stars Another missed opportunity by the BBC!
Published on 19 Jun. 2011 by Marc Conroy

4.0 out of 5 stars An Old Grey Whistle Test Mauling Part 2, 29 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Old Grey Whistle Test [40th Anniversary Album] (Audio CD)
C'mon guys (and girls) - the music on here is by and large of an excellent standard and is utilising (as far as my ears can tell) remastered versions of most of the songs in question (CD 1 & 2). If people took the time to read what it says on the packaging or on Amazon's write-up, only CD 3 is 'live'. Not too difficult (oops, thats now gone to '0 out of 30 people found this review useful'!). And I thought that it was fairly common knowledge that much of the 'live' material on OGWT wasn't as live as we thought it was owing to the frankly bizarre Musicians Union rulings which does kind of restrict what can be released as officially live and unreleased material.
I've played this end to end a couple of times now and the music's great - I knew what I was getting before I bought it (and I'm not being smug or self-righteous here). I just read what it said on the tin, so to speak. Unfair I think to give it 1 or 2 stars although it is not without its faults - the edited Freebird and Jessica the main offenders but top marks for full length Hocus Pocus, Radar Love and Whisky in the Jar.
And Led Zep and Mr Robert Plant don't appear on too many compilations either when you think about it. Just put it on, turn it up and enjoy.......just like the first one really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Bob Harris, 6 Jun. 2011
What a great album Bob, I had a few reservations about last years album in that i would have liked some more live tracks but this album has a full bonus disc of them , the live disc has some great tracks on there with the likes of John Lennon and Joan Armatrading stand outs for me but it is also nice to hear unusual tracks from Sniff & the Tears and Magazine, The first two discs have some great teracks on, actually much stronger than the first album. The Who's baba O Riley is a great choice and much better than the far more obvious My generation that is often used. Elton Johns Tiny Dancer is a classic as is the inclusion of Bob Dylans Hurricane, Rods Killing Of Georgie is another unusual but great choice. I guess the standout track is the use of Led Zeppelins Trampled Under Foot.. what a great start to a great album.. well done Bob Harris.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another missed opportunity by the BBC!, 19 Jun. 2011
I just got my copy of the whistle test 40th anniversary CD and i have to say im very dissapointed! Many of the tracks are just worn out old favorites, in fact throw in Procol Harums a whiter shade of pale and you would have the best freebie sunday paper CD ever!!! come on now.. Radar Love, Born to be wild! these songs have as much place on a whistle test CD as an x factor winner! I grew up on whistle test and in my opinion what made it great was the fact that it was everything that top of the pops wasnt! There are tons of great whistle test moments and music that seem to have been left out.. OK everyons taste is different but what about the likes of Tom Petty and the heartbreakers, Rory Gallagher to name but two! So to sum up this is an ok CD to stick in your player to listen to as you plod about the house or even in the car for a long drive.. but it is in no way a reflection of what whistle test stood for!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 19 Jun. 2011
S. R. Brown (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
As several people have pointed out, the tracks are not from the OGWT, but normal album tracks.
Then they've cut some of the tracks down - Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird should be 9 minutes - it's been cut by over 5 minutes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be warned!!, 25 July 2011
Music Lover 8 (St. Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
I saw "Old Grey Whistle Test 3 CD Box" and bought it without reading any of the reviews. Boy, was I REALLY disappointed when I got it, put it in and realized that the first 2 CDs are just a bunch of recordings I've had for years. They are NOT live performances from the show, they're just the regular old album cuts. Sigh. It's incredibly deceptive - putting the "OGWT" banner on the package implies that the performances are taken from the show, when in fact only a handful (the last disc) are.

2.0 out of 5 stars OGWT, 29 Aug. 2011
I was really looking forward to this compilation, but what a let down. It is basically, for me, let down by two tracks: Freebird and American Pie. Two of the greatest tracks of all time, but both are edited on this compilation. Surely it would have been worth sacrificing two of the lesser tracks and leaving these legendary songs intact. Also, why have we got stilted studio versions of songs instead of live performances from the show? A major disappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 16 Jun. 2011
I ordered this for my dad for fathers day and should really have read the description properly! Not all the tracks are from the Old Grey Whistle test which is very annoying! I wouldn't buy Radio 1 live lounge album and expect to hear album tracks from bands that just happen to be on Radio 1!

The CD is actually pretty good just not what I expected from the title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birthday present, 10 Jun. 2011
My son gave me this album as a birthday present. It's brilliant!
Three cds full of great tracks, from Led Zep to James Taylor.
I can definitely recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars only one LIVE disc from whistle test!!! I DONT GET IT!!!!!!!, 17 Jun. 2011
why on earth wasnt this a triple cd of ALL live tracks actually from the old grey whistle test, what was the point of 2cds full of studio tracks , WHICH you can get anywhere!!! TYPICAL BBC, PLUS ITS ABOUT TIME WE HAD SOME MORE DVD RELEASES FROM THE SHOW, ITS BEEN YEARS SINCE THE LAST DVDS CAME OUT . COME ON MR BOB HARRIS WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!, SO YOU MUST HAVE SOME CLOUT IN THAT RESPECT!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars three-CD history of modern music, 4 Mar. 2012
Bought the CD for a friend after listening to the whole anthology while driving from the tip of Finland to Helsinki (10 hours). Great mix of re-mastered and live tracks that creates an eclectic selection of audio that's pure magic. Where else can you listen to Elton's Tiny Dancer, Rod Stewart, Free, Joan Armatrading, Whisky in the Jar and Iggy Pop in one hit. Perfect long-distance music. It's one album that lasts an entire working day in the office. Tip my hat to Bob Harris who has captured the warmth and electricity of OGWT all at once.

The Old Grey Whistle Test [40th Anniversary Album]
The Old Grey Whistle Test [40th Anniversary Album] by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)