5.0 out of 5 stars Great invention!
I didn't know such a thing even existed until recently, and I have over 100 floppy disks that I felt were useless. Yet, with this Floppy Disk Drive I have just spent a happy and nostalgic afternoon looking through long forgetten files and photos stored on my old floppy disks.

Published on 8 Sep 2011 by Mr. P. James

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Windows 7 compatable
I am using two computers, one running Windows XP with which this floppy drive works fine, just plug and play, the other running Windows 7.
Windows 7 will not recognise this drive so all "and above" Windows users beware.
Published on 6 Dec 2011 by oldrec@indigo.ie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great invention!, 8 Sep 2011
Mr. P. James (Eastbourne, Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TRIXES External USB Portable Floppy Disk Drive PC Laptop (Electronics)

Using this device could not be easier. I just plugged it in a USB port, and that was it. Ready to go. Put a floppy disk in and could click on the files to see what was on it, and even transfer items to my computer (which I can now make copies of on to a CD and store them that way). Strangely, I also tried storing some new files on the floppy disks, and that works as well. So, if you want a floppy disk facility, as we always used to have on computers, then I can really recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Windows 7 compatable, 6 Dec 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars What do I do with all these floppy discs?, 12 Dec 2011
Amazon Customer (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Whilst clearing box files the other day I came across about a hundred old floppy disks. Before junking them I thought I should just check through them and remove any personal information. Looking around the computers in the house, including ones that had been stored "just in case", none of them had floppy disk drives. When did that happen? So on to Amazon and chose the Trixes, as it was one of the cheapest and at a price that I would not complain if none of the disks had anything that needed to be wiped.
Well it came and I spent a couple of days working through the disks, finding old stuff that I had forgotten about and was surprised how old some files were (1993!). All interesting items have been painlessly transferred to a USB memory stick. I now have a pile of blank floppy disks having reformatted them all.
The disks are still waiting to go in the bin, but if I do have a rush of blood to the head and want to use any I have a great little disk drive that will work on any of the PCs, Laptops and Notebooks we seemed to have amassed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have accessory!!, 17 Sep 2011
Mr. John Parker (Stafford , England) - See all my reviews
Great price,great product and excellent service! Perfect! If you need one of these input devices then this is the perfect choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trixes External USB portable floppy drive, 25 Sep 2012
TRIXES External USB Portable Floppy Disk Drive PC Laptop

It's early days but so far I am extremely pleased with the product.

The drive was recognized immediately by my Windows XP system and was given 'A' as its drive letter immediately (I would have chosen that letter so was pleased not to have to go through the manual process of selecting a drive letter).

All my old floppy disks can be read and written to even though some are very old and of 720 kB format. Apparently only 1.44 mB floppies can be formatted in the drive but that is not a problem for me.

Some would advise ditching old floppy disks as unreliable media with inadequate memory but as some of my disks were written over thirteen years ago and are still operable, reliability issues seem not a major issue. As for memory size, the floppy disk can store reasonable amounts of text document files, spreadsheets and even smaller stand alone programs (I have created a number of small utilities using Delphi and these fit comfortably on a 1.44mB disk).

If the drive turns out to be as reliable as my floppy disks, I will be well pleased. At the bargain price I paid it seems to have been a very worthwhile acquisition.

P.S. An afterthought:

A minor niggle, that might cause some to be a little confused, is that once the drive has been set up, it is necessary to safely remove it from the system using the 'Windows Safely Remove Hardware' facility every time you need to access a new disk - disks need to be inserted before the device is plugged in. This is, I believe, because of a weakness in Windows XP and not one in the device itself. If this routine is not followed, Windows will generate an error message stating the disk is not formatted and asking if you want to format it - to do so would, of course, delete all your data so be careful.

5.0 out of 5 stars ., 5 May 2012
Works perfectly and plays my old floppy disks as hoped. At first it might appear that the PC doesnt recognise the device, I had this problem, but I simply clicked on the my computer tab and there it was, just waiting to be started. Great price and worked perfectly to retrieve data , that I had stored on the disks.

5.0 out of 5 stars USB floppy drive, 10 Dec 2013
Bitbrain1967 (Cornwall, England) - See all my reviews
Works exactly as expected, plugged in, automatically detected, drivers installed, job done.

Works perfectly on both a windows XP sp3 x86 PC and a Windows 7 sp1 x64 laptop.

Have had no problems with the drive working both in native windows and virtual PC, have in fact used the drive to install DOS 6 and windows 3.11 into a virtual PC environment.

No problems with recognising disks as long as they have different Volume labels, disks with no labels or same labels can cause some issues, but that can happen with internal floppy drives too, it's not a problem with this drive, it's down to the way the OS detects and handles removable media.

Overall very happy with my purchase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Old technology sometimes still needed!, 15 Nov 2012
Received some vital data - on a floppy disc! No floppy drives in any lap-top or other computer so purchased the TRIXES. Arrived next day but lap-top wouldn't detect it nor were there any drivers for Windows 7 on the mini CD supplied and couldn't find a driver on t'internet. Tried it on a net-book also running Windows 7 (starter) and it worked perfectly!! So all OK but seems a bit dodgy on the 'XP and above' claim.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 15 Aug 2012
I had some problems getting this working on Windows 7 machines and indeed a Linux one too, It would just want to format a disk then tell you it cant format, But for some reason (And I really can't see why) it works perfectly on my main system which runs Windows 7, The only real difference being, My main is a desktop, the others laptops, Not sure if that's significant though.

It will do what I need, But I can't give it 5 starts as it seems luck of the draw as to whether it works for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars review, 30 Jun 2012
Item a bit chunky but works fine. Cable could be a little longer and item could read disks a little quicker but otherwise no issues.

ARRAY(0xb61c9a08)