on 6 May 2011
Worth every penny of the modest cost for the value added to these out-of-copyright works. This is not just a hastily cobbled together collection of freely-available books, but a truly delightful compendium, thoughtfully compiled, enhanced and made easily accessible.

I started to list the extensive content, but just read the product description for the list of what you're getting.

Each novel or short story has a brief introduction explaining the history of the piece and usually some interesting trivia too.

I was pleased to find that, unlike the downloadable sample, the table of contents is accessible from the Kindle's contents link.

All the original illustrations are there, as well as quite a few extra drawings and photos. For example, the Pickwick Papers has some photos of the original monthly serials and a photo of a collection of all 19 booklets. Some of the drawings and photos are in colour, which you'll appreciate if you're reading on a PC's Kindle reader, for example.

I'm so impressed with this one of Delphi Classics series that I intend to buy some of their other authors, starting with Thomas Hardy.
0Comment|131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2011
I purchased the collection as I wanted to read Dickens poetry. However there was a problem with formatting of the poetry. I sent Delphi Classics an e-mail, and within hours they sent me a separate Kindle file, personalized with my name, containing just the poetry! I am very impressed with their efficient, personal service.

I reported another problem with the original Dickens Collection and that was immediately corrected too. The next day I received a link to download the revised file (pending it becoming available via Amazon), and also a free copy of the Thomas Hardy collected novels and poems.

I recommend Delphi Classic publications, as they are quick to correct errors reported and provide excellent customer service. I will be buying further publications from them in future.
on 5 April 2012
I am not going to write a review of the book from a literary stand point, there are more scholarly people than myself that make a living from doing just this and their reviews are freely available.

To my shame I had never read a Charles Dickens novel before. Hard Times was a required text for my English course at school, but I winged it in the TV adaptation and revision notes. But on seeing all the hype and puffery surrounding the bi-centenary of his birth I decided to try one. I downloaded a free copy of Oliver Twist and was enjoying it immensely but continually annoyed by the small typographical glitches that seem to inhabit the free classics available for the Kindle. Particularly annoying was the habit of the full stop after Mr.
prompting a line break and the sentence would continue on the next line. Interrupts the flow doesn't it? This was happening at least once a page.

So I looked about and saw this and thought for £1.92 it is worth a punt. The layout is perfect, the illustrations are detailed and match the narrative (i.e. they are in the right place). It is well worth the price to make the reading experience more enjoyable and less annoying. I finished Oliver Twist and am now on the Pickwick Papers and would thoroughly recommend this edition to Dickens buffs and virgins alike.

It is the best £1.92 I have spent on my Kindle or possibly anywhere considering how long it will take me to read the complete works.
on 4 December 2011
I purchased this complete works as I wanted to have the original illustrations as I felt that would add to the reading experience, which I feel it does.
They are very well put together and the company offer very good follow up service answering questions promptly and have been most helpful.
on 9 February 2012
I can only endorse the other 5 star reviews. I inherited a hardbound collected Dickens from my grandfather over twenty years ago - it takes up two full shelves on my bookcase.I still have a letter from a lecturer at University that began "Dear Dickensian" reminding me that to prepare for next semester's Dickens course would require reading about 10,000 pages! Now I have all that and more in this Kindle Edition. As well as all the novels, journalism and stories it contains numerous extras my paper edition lacks - collected letters and speeches,plays, poetry, criticism, biographies and even a memoir by Dickens' daughter, Mamie. And most surprising of all, his "Life of our Lord" that he wrote for his children. All the novels are fully illustrated and the collection is rich with photographs and pictures making it a true delight even to browse. I've commended Delphi Classics in other reviews for their attention to detail and commitment to presentation which puts a lot of established publishing houses to shame. As this is the bicentenary of Dickens' birth, I can't think of a better tribute to the man than this outstanding collection.
on 7 February 2012
Was determined to get something in honour of Charles Dickens 200th birthday on the day - 7th February 2012! Also bought the Dickensiana Volume I - Charles Dickens to compliment his works. Both look very interesting and I think will last me a lifetime! Looking forward to the illustrations to accompany his stories in this edition and am excited to think I now have all his works at hand for under £2, when they would have cost me a fortune to get otherwise! (Will give a more in depth review, once I have had time to dive in!) For anyone who hasn't had the good fortune to read any of Dickens - don't be nervous he is FABULOUS! A very Happy Birthday Mr Dickens!
on 21 September 2011
To think you can have one of the greatest author's complete works in the palm of your hand is truly amazing. This download offers exceptional value including Forster's biography and Chesterton's appreciations.

Thank you Delphi for bringing it all together. Great customer care post purchase when I had a query. Totally recommended. Excellent product.
on 13 January 2013
I received a Kindle as a Christmas present and this was the first product I bought, already being a Dickens fan. I was mightily impressed that I could download it on Christmas day when no shops are open. Only took a few minutes.

The product appears on the Kindle as a single volume containing all the books. Maybe it would have been better to present it as a Kindle "collection" because you have to learn how to navigate the enormous volume. I noticed from other reviews that one or two people were having problems navigating so here's how I did it ..

Enter the volume from the home screen
press Menu and Go to ...
table of contents
use the 5-way controller to move the hand cursor to the title required and press Select (middle button)
press Select again to "follow link"

this gets you to the start of your chosen book. I bookmarked it at this point (from Menu) to make future navigation simpler.
I repeated this for all of the books and now have bookmarks at the start of all of them. Hope this helps.

If you like Dickens then this is a must buy. I have now read Bleak House on the Kindle and found it every bit as satisfying as the other books I have previously read in paperback format. By the way, Bleak House is a misnomer .. it's not bleak.
on 8 January 2014
The novels are all available free from Project Gutenberg, but I decided that I'd like them all in one file for my Kindle, with the illustrations as a nice bonus. Unfortunately, as with so many ebooks, the formatting lets it down. I find many unexpected and mistaken line breaks throughout the text, especially in the spoken dialogues. This is particularly irritating as it breaks the spell, so to speak, and sets you searching for the rest of the speech. This appears to be a particular fault of ebooks generally, especially if you need to increase the fount size to read comfortably. Dickens, of course, is a five star author, but the formatting faults are too glaringly obvious for a hardcopy reader to put up with, and therefore I've knocked off a couple of stars for that reason.

The illustrations range from the originals to relatively modern and add interest, although I think I'd prefer to just see the originals myself, for the sake of uniformity and consistency.
on 18 March 2012
There is not much more I can add to the 5 star comments for this edition. All I can say is well done to Delphi for putting together a wonderful collection of Dickens' work. If like me your bookshelf space is rapidly dwindling, then this collection is the answer. These works may be in the public domain but the way they have been put together is excellent. What else could you buy of this quality for less than the price of a cup of coffee? Don't hesitate, download it now!