5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Feb 2013
Wonderful secure and sensitive playing with both soloists completely understanding one another to give a unified performance - the Kreutzer was magic

5.0 out of 5 stars joyous Beethoven, 24 Jan 2013
This review is from: Beethoven Violin Sonatas 3: Alina Ibragimova & Cédric Tiberghien - Wigmore Hall Live (MP3 Download)
I can only add my confirmation of how very good these are. I too think Perlman/Ashkenazy and Kremer/Argerich are the best I've heard till now. But now this cycle must also be added to that list!

5.0 out of 5 stars Intimate Pleasures that will Last You a Lifetime!, 27 Aug 2012
This will surely be a very short review and the reason for its brevity has everything to do with the simplicity of my response to all three of these magical recordings of the complete Beethoven violin sonatas: I cannot banish any of these performances from my mind anymore than I can remove them from my CD player...

...What a wonderful predicament!

With over 35 years of classical music experience behind me, I can assure you that such a reaction to even the finest recordings is exceedingly rare. Kempff & Menuhin were extraordinary... Ashkenazy & Perlman were sublime... Arrau & Grumiaux were incredible in every sense of the word... but these two relative newcomers have somehow managed to surpass ALL those who have gone before them... amazing!

These are impeccable and masterful live performances that sound for all the world like they were played by musicians with far greater life-experience than the "youngsters" in question. It warms my heart beyond measure that musicians of this quality are still coming out of nowhere to blast the notion that Classical Music is on its last leg. Balderdash, I say, and long may Ibragimova and Tiberghien astound us with their seemingly infinite variety, vast musical intelligence and sheer passion for the wondrous classical duo (their latest collaberations of violin and piano music by Szymanowsky and Ravel are no doubt equally superb).

In terms of sound quality, it is refreshingly up front and detailed for a live recording, with plenty of air and atmosphere around the instruments. The applause at the end of each sonata will not detract in the least from your listening experience in that you will most likely be joining in that applause with those very fortunate few who were present at Wigmore Hall on the night.

These are all uniquely satisfying and highly recommendable recordings that I suggest you hear as soon as humanly possible. And might I also suggest that you acquire a second CD player as extracting these CDs from my own player has proved to be undesirable in the extreme; intimate pleasures such as these were meant to last a lifetime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music making, 10 May 2011
Del (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This CD has only arrived this morning and I've so far listened to only to the op.30 no.1 and the first movement of the op.12 no. 3 in the car on my lunch-break. That's all it takes to know that these artists are something very special. A performance of breath-taking joy and delight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beethoven's sonatas, 28 May 2011
This is not my review, because I gave the CD as a present to my sister-in-law. The following are her comments:

"I found the CD charming - a lyrical and sensitive performance of Beethoven's writing, although I do not have a direct comparison as I have no other recording! The Kreutzer Sonata - the one I am most familiar with - is delightful. I rate it highly, especially the first movement."