5.0 out of 5 stars "Oh, What a Beautiful Recording!"
Published on 14 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Oklahoma!
Very disappointing after seeing the film and stage play as the reproduction failed to match the original sound track of the film.
Published 13 months ago by Yogi Bear

5.0 out of 5 stars "Oh, What a Beautiful Recording!", 14 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Oklahoma! (Audio CD)
At last a complete recording of the music from this classic film. It's been a long time coming but it was well worth the wait. Included on this disk is not only all the dance music, the reprise songs, but also the original overture, the overture as recorded for the original album and the entr'acte to Act 2. (presumably the film was originally made with an interval.) As with the re-issue of the West Side Story film soundtrack by Sony, the new material has been taken directly from the magnetic soundtrack of the film and therefore contains some dialogue and sound effects. For example: train noises in Kansas City and thunder in the Out of my Dreams Ballet. Even though these effects are not too obtrusive, I could see that to some people this might be a distraction and spoil the music. This CD has obviously been lovingly re-mastered and compiled and I congratulate the team involved. Up until the release of this CD the National Theatre, Original Cast recording would have been my choice as the best recording of this show, but now I'm not so sure!! I hope that many more re-issues of classic film soundtracks of this quality will become available - Soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music, wonderful sound., 19 Nov 2004
Steve (Leeds) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Oklahoma! (Audio CD)
This is a disc full of great music. It won't be long before you find yourself singing along to one song or another; my favourite is 'The Farmer and the Cowman'- actually a very clever piece of music. Rodgers and Hammerstein were masters of their art and Oklahoma is, arguably, their very best.
The recording was made, amazingly, in 1954. You would never guess it. This is one of the very best soundtracks I have ever heard. It has warmth, clarity and a wide frequency range that bely its age. There is none of the distortion that some soundtrack recordings have. The remastering engineers should be proud of their work.
The presentation is excellent too. Lavish sleeve notes, technical information for those interested in such things, and best of all some great photographs. One photo is taken from the actors' viewpoint and shows no less than three huge cameras manned by a crew who look as though they should be in the film!
Absolutely superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oklahoma musical, 12 Dec 2010
A. J. Montgomery (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oklahoma! (Audio CD)
As I was growing up in pre-school years I used enjoy either hearing my Dad play the LP on his Pye black box, or him singing the songs on long journeys in the car. This CD recaptures all those treasured memories for which I am very grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars It brings back memories..., 18 Mar 2013
Terry D "tdawson735" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
It's a brilliant compilation of the melodies from an immortal show - and brings back an amusing memory.

As a schoolboy (along with a classmate) I went to see the last performance of 'Oklahoma' at Drury Lane on 21st October 1950. We were so enthralled that we managed to miss the last train home and, sometime close to midnight, presented ourselves to the slightly surprised duty officer at Canon Row police station...

They were absolutely brilliant - called our parents to reassure them all was well and then (without actually locking us in) found us a couple of quite comfy cells for the night. They readily provided us with breakfast in the morning and, after a fair amount of leg-pulling, we caught an early train home.

Oh yes, I have the fondest memories of 'Oklahoma' - and, of course, of the Metropolitan Police!

It's an excellent album.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD, 31 Jan 2014
M. Reddy "mayred" (North East England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Oklahoma! (Audio CD)
A good DVD, which I purchased again for somebody who had always wanted to buy it, but never got around to it. They have enjoyed listening to the songs again. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groby sings, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Oklahoma! (Audio CD)
Love. The music, and the village choir is giving a concert singing this music.
Would sugesst that a CD with just the songs would have been more in keeping for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such Fond Memories, 4 Oct 2013
Nic Jay (UK but musical tastes are European-wide) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oklahoma (Audio CD)
Regardless of how cheap I got this (TOTAL VFM!) I was delighted to hear a few old favourites that took me back to my childhood when Mum & Dad would listen to "The Light Programme" (I think it was called) during Sunday lunch, and I now know that most of the requests were followed up with songs from musicals, such as a couple of old favourites from here that everyone knows but probably wasn't aware... a little gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as expected, 25 Sep 2013
This review is from: Oklahoma! (Audio CD)
Thanks to Amazon and Zoverstock's we now have quite a collection of period musicals, and this is a welcome addition to our collection: easy listening and good background music.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought this was about trees?, 21 July 2013
Mr. Christopher J. Chapman (Cromer, Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oklahoma! (Audio CD)
Bought this for my wife. She got into it after she was told that in the 1950s I used to climb a tree in our garden and sing the songs from 'Oak la Home Huh' This was after we were taken to see the film, no popcorn or icecreams, then got the LP that Christmas that we played all the time on a gramaphone that used replaceable needles. She bought me the DVD as a joke as my singing days are long gone, watched it herself and liked the music so much she wanted this, it will end up on her MP3 player no doubt...She also likes Les Miserables! Sigh! I have a lot to put up with!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, 22 Feb 2013
This review is from: Oklahoma! (Audio CD)
I bought this as a present which was greatly received and enjoyed thoroughly. In perfect condition and arrived very quickly, very pleased thank you.

Oklahoma! (Original Movie Soundtrack)
Buy MP3 Album£5.49