5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Mar 2013
This review is from: Drills: Training For Sudden Violence (A Chiron Manual) (Kindle Edition)
As a martial arts enthusiast I have been trying to fill the gap from dojo to street. I recently attended one of Rory Millers seminars and was so impressed with the drills and the knowledge I received, I immediately purchased this manual to refresh my memory for when I needed it. What makes this unique from other MA drill books is the fact it doesn't concentrate solely on physical drills but the use of ones mind and psyche in a violent situation ie being something else as in the plastic mind drill and tactically thinking finding options using walls,environment,space as in the one step drill. For the price this is a real gem for all martial enthusiasts or those interested in the study of violence.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb investment, 28 Mar 2011
Mr. D. J. Hill (Cardiff) - See all my reviews
Recently I have become quite reflective about my own MA training and on situations in which I have found myself in the past. I began questioning where my training falls down, what my weak points are, how I can improve what I do, to what aim I am actually training. I read a lot of books. Recently I have read a lot on violence, on the physical and the psychological aspects of violence. Enter Rory Miller.

Meditations on violence was a very interesting book that helped me to question what I believe. This book, well this one helps me to do something about it. The drills in here are so diverse. There are so many ways to practice different elements of conflict and this book is an astonishing starting point for that. It addresses physical, psychological and emotional responses (and more), and yet it is written so accessibly and organised in an extremely sensible manner. Warning: some of the ideas in this book can provoke extreme emotional responses during training. This may be a good thing, depending on your viewpoint, or it may not. The choice is yours.

If you are interested in conflict, or if you wonder how you would respond in extreme circumstances and would like to test yourself a bit, I would definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars again for Miller, 23 July 2014
I have no hesitation in recommending anything written by Rory Miller. He says himself that he seems to have found his niche audience in those who've trained in martial arts and yet found themselves asking even more questions when their 'art' fails to deliver in terms of reality based training. The drills contained within this e-book begin with the most basic of concepts and progress steadily. For anyone who wishes to incorporate reality based training, and in particular instructors who wish to give students something really worth while then this is a very useful tool to get you going.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant resource, 27 Jun 2011
G. Gilmour (Belfast N.Ireland) - See all my reviews
For anyone who practises martial arts, but especially instructors, this is a treasure-trove of ideas on how to create a training environment that bridges the gap between classical martial arts and unplanned, unscripted self-defence situations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practical advice to enhance your martial arts training, 1 July 2014
A great book from an expert in the field. Easy to understand and use the drills. You will need a background in some form of martial art or self-defence to get the benefits. If you run a club focused on practical self-defence, for example, this is a great way to find new and useful ways to enhance your training.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rory Miller - a true expert on violence, 3 Oct 2013
Not as engaging or eye opening as Meditations on Violence or Facing Violence, but will give marial artists some great practical ideas to take in to the classroom. We've tried a few out and they are very effective.