5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute stunner of an album.
What to say, where to start... the eighties influences are there, and if you close your eyes you can imagine snatches of Scritti Politi a la "cupid and psyche", level 42, Duran Duran even... but this recording has its own life and identity.
From the moment I slipped it into the player on its first spin right to the end I had a huge grin on my face. Just an amazing...
Published on 20 July 2011 by Mr. S. M. Ballinger

2.0 out of 5 stars Big Let Down
Agreeing with London Cowboy here. Enjoyed 1st album. Edgy indie dance music. It showed great potential. This? Bland and very disappointing. Every track seems to merge into one over produced dance-light boy band esque dirge. Where has the edgy funky side gone?? Sure this is a record label attempt to make them more commercially acceptable, but for me does not work. Sad.
Published on 8 July 2011 by Graham S. Curtis

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect summer music, 23 Jun 2011
jacky mercury (Bridlington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pala (MP3 Download)
I loved Friendly Fires previous album, so I was pleased that Pala lives up to its predecessor. It's chilled out, happy music, perfect to brighten up the miserable summer we're having. Currently, Blue Casssette is my favourite track, but there are no bad ones!

5.0 out of 5 stars As Good as Expected, 9 Jun 2011
This review is from: Pala (Audio CD)
Love this album! It packs the same impact as the first one with songs like 'Blue Cassette' really standing out. Follows the same sort of inspiration as their earlier songs, but with a newly developed feel. Definitely moving forward as a band. not sure if they will be able to top this album though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so hard to do sophmore album., 8 Jun 2011
This review is from: Pala (Audio CD)
They say dont judge a book by its cover but sometimes I can tell what sort of album a band release from looking at the cover.

I might be wrong but if its a dark cover full of black and grey then from my experience its a "Disintegration" or a "Closer", on the other hand if its bright colours then prepare to boogey down.

In this particular example I can honestly say I was spot on with Pala.

It is a bright bold and infectious album full of dancy beats, unforgetable choruses and big production.

Usually the second album is the toughest to do for any band but Friendly Fires went against the norm on Pala.

The six minute opener Live those Days tonight sets the tone with lovely beats and melodic keys splattered all over it

In addition, there's some dancefloor belters like Running away, Show me lights, Helpless and Pull me back to earth.

Then there is the gorgeous haunting title track which Tony Hadley and Spandau Ballet wish they wrote as their own ballad.

Listening to this album remind me a bit of Kajagoogoo & Spandau Ballet which is not a bad thing if you liked that type of music in the 80'S. TOTP on a Thursday night anyone.

Tough to make second album, not to Friendly Fires. A joy to listen to over and over again. Cheers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great second album, 7 Jun 2011
C. Lynch "cwjlynch" (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pala (Audio CD)
did not think that they could have topped their great first album, but they have! Would agree with a lot of what the other reviewers have said about the album. It has a feel good and familiar vibe (80's influences!), so much so that you will want to shake your booty! Have to say it is the best album I have heard in a while and all the tracks on the album are really good. Normally there are always one or two stinkers on an album or those songs that you just don't connect with. I waited as I listened to the album for the first time for the inevitable song(s) that I would be skipping through in the future, but they never came. I have found myself playing it constantly since I got it and still have not managed to skip a song, that in it's self says a lot to me about the album.

On the back of the album I have booked tickets for their November gig at the Brixton Academy, can't wait.

Go buy it if you like FF, you won't be disappointed. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars UPLIFTING, 3 Jun 2011
B. Mehmet "birol40" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pala (Audio CD)
Just a brief appearance on the Jools Holland show and Friendly Fires instantly hooked me with their uplifting, summery sound. The album didn't disappoint. Every track is a beautifully crafted pop song that gets better with each listen. My next task is to get their first album. I hope Pala will bring the band the recognition they deserve!

5.0 out of 5 stars White Boy Funk Re-Booted, 31 May 2011
Zipster Zeus (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pala (Audio CD)
What an invigorating album this is. At a time when the same indie guitar-by-numbers sound is grating ad nauseum, and even the introduction of synths isn't producing any particularly special bands or albums, this comes along in even better shape than their first album.

'The sound of summer' is a cliche but it is truly apt for this collection of smart, funky songs. This takes me back to Level 42 in their prime, and I have unashamedly started wearing white socks again. And despite the other references, it is Level 42 that beats at the heart of this album, given a 21st century make over and emerging all shiny and new.

There isn't a duff track on here, absolutely no filler, but tracks like opener 'Live These Days Tonight' is the album's perfect calling card and 'Hawaiian Air' is so fresh and full of simple joie de vivre it is simply wonderful. In such a cynical 'been there done that' post-modern world, it is really up-lifting to hear a song about the excitement of a holiday in Hawaii with your girlfriend, without any arch irony or embarrassment. A simple, un-guilty pleasure.

'Blue Cassette,' a reflection on finding an old tape in the garden with an old girlfriends voice on it- we've all been there in some way or another, haven't we?- is another good example of how these great grooves are also lyrically little gems about real life and emotions.

Great stuff. If only more young bands were as adventurous [and clever] as this lot. Five star plus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 30 May 2011
This review is from: Pala (MP3 Download)
Never heard this band before until I stumbled across this album on amazon. Now I've got it, I can't put it down. Very refreshing!

5.0 out of 5 stars FEEL GOOD MUSIC, 26 May 2011
This review is from: Pala (MP3 Download)
A friend told me about this. I'm glad he did as its a great album.I can say that every track is good. The production and the feel of the music is excellent. Normally I like rock music, but this album is a great listen. Tracks such as Hawaiian Air, Pala and Live those days to-night are really good music. Recommended !

5.0 out of 5 stars stuck on loop, 22 May 2011
Mr. J. Fulton (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pala (Audio CD)
Must admit this type of music sort of funky dance is not usually my scene but having purchased pala on impulse i just cannot stop playing it , it sticks in my head and has a real feel good factor about it , for some reason it takes me back in time theres a real sound fusion going on for me personally i,m hearing liquid gold , average white band , bros with traces of wham and hotel tropicana ,others may hear different things yet the sound is relevant of today , it really is uplifting and genius in the way it bombards you with this great fusion of sound i,m not sure if that is the intention , hard to put my finger on but something works and with each play it gets better ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the Summer, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Pala (Audio CD)
Anyone wanting another "Paris" or "Jump in the Pool", are in for a disappointment. Friendly Fires have gone beyond that. This album is unashamedly 11 tracks of Pop/Rnb/House/Electro fun. It is at all times accompanied by a feeling of nostalgia, making you wish you were in some golden age of some sort; which was no doubt their purpose in making this album.
to put it simply: a breath of fresh air.

Pala
Pala by Friendly Fires (Audio CD - 2011)