Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£8.28

on 22 February 2004
A fabulous read. Unlike many other vegan authors, Erik Markus makes the case for veganism (extremely well) by stating the facts. The book is all the more powerful for the matter of fact approach Markus adopts. Buy it now. If you're thinking about becoming vegan, this book will confirm time and again, that you'll be making the right choice.
on 19 June 1999
Erik Marcus hits the nail on the head with this book. As a vegetarian making the transition to veganism, this book not only answered my questions about veganism (such as, will I get enough calcium?), but it also re-enforced my reasons for choosing to go vegan in the first place: to do my part in healing the planet. I applaud this book and I encourage anyone who cares about either the environment, animal welfare, their own health, or even weight loss to read this book.
on 11 June 1999
Erik Marcus has done a phenomenal job researching and writing this book. I highly recommend it for anyone concerned about their health, the environment, and animal suffering. It has reaffirmed my beliefs in choosing a plant-based diet and that the right amount of animal products for optimal health is zero. It's time for everyone to make the transition to a plant-based diet and Erik has done a great job to support this argument.
on 25 March 2014
Ok, this book is great. Most of the way through it presents the arguments for vegetarianism / veganism with significant attention to both research and bare fact. This book avoids much of that emotional rhetoric that can be so off-putting in informative non-fiction books, and on that score I would highly recommend it.

However...

There are SIGNIFICANT mistakes in this book. Most of the first 50% of the text was passable (a few typographical errors, and random 'focus points' in large font, as if someone has attempted to reproduce newsprint on the kindle page - bad idea!). However, at around 68% percent, it has got to the point where significant portions of the text are missing. Sentances or points will begin and then vanish while a new paragraph begins in their place.Many paragraph conclusions are lost entirely because the text is simply absent from the book. Numerous sentences begin with

It's annoying isn't it? Fix it please. I don't want my money back, I want an updated copy and I will ask for it as soon as I work out how...
on 9 January 1999
I have never read a book before that has had such an impact on my life. I read this book and almost immediately switched to a vegetarian diet, and now have almost completed my transition to complete vegan. I would highly recommend this book to anyone! It will raise questions and concerns in the most die-hard of meat eaters guaranteed!
on 2 August 1998
"Vegan" is an absolutely wonderful book! Facts are presented clearly and fairly. This is not a book bashing carnivores or people who wear leather shoes. There are no "guilt trips" or "scare tactics" used to try and trick the reader in to adapting a vegan lifestlye. Rather, it contains clearly-stated, well-documented facts regarding health, the environment, and animal rights issues. I sent copies to all my family members to help them understand the reasons why I feel this lifestyle is the correct choice for me. "Vegan" is very educational. I would enthusiastically recommend it to anyone who is interested in learning about better health or saving the planet and/or the animals that live here. (including humans!) This book is not "preachy" at all. You won't walk away feeling hopeless, like the world is in terrible, unchangeable shape. Instead you will find yourself excited and happy- feeling that you actually have a little p! iece of that knowledge key that can help make a difference in the quality of your (and everyone elses) life!
on 5 February 1999
Erik Marcus is a great speaker and a wonderful author. It was nice to have an updated look at vegan issues. Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating is put together very well and a pleasure to read. This book makes a great present for people in your life that wonder why you are vegan or people interested in making a change to a plant-based diet. I hope this is not the only book we see from Mr. Marcus.
on 17 December 1997
I'm vegan. So, as always, consider the source. However, I can't say enough about this book. It's not a rambling, guilt-inducing pontification -- it's welcoming, chatty but cogent, and *positive*. I'm an avid consumer of information about veg*ism, and this is the BEST I've come across. There is no book I recommend more highly than "Vegan".
on 18 February 1999
Marcus makes the intense suffering of animals something real - not just a myth that activists tote around the world. The information covers an amazing amount of material in a way that is both moving and inspiring. The descriptions of suffering and health concerns are just enough to give people reasons to continue being vegan, and others the chance to experience true people, animal, and environmental concerns.
on 6 May 2012
I read this book last year when I pledged to try vegan for one month. As someone exploring veganism for the first time, I wanted more information about the main arguments for veganism and its benefits. Vegan The New Ethics of Eating didn't disappoint.

The book essentially examines the importance of vegan eating from three main perspectives: for the sake of your own health, compassion toward animals and for the Earth.

Part one discusses plant-based eating as a remedy for ever-increasing health concerns such as heart attack, heart disease, stroke, high cholesterol and various cancers. With contributions from doctors and patients alike, the author leaves nothing to speculation and instead provides evidence using published medical research (references are provided at the back of the book).

Part two details the truth about food animals, their commercial rearing, treatment and genetic engineering. The use of animals in the dairy, egg and meat industries is examined and touching stories of rescued animals are highlighted throughout.

The final portion of the book looks beyond the dinner table and explains the devastating impact that factory farming is having on our environment at large. Issues such as population growth, world hunger and the loss of wildlife are explained. Plant based eating is discussed as a sustainable solution to overcoming environmental problems.

In sum, Vegan The New Ethics of Eating is an informative, interesting read. The book logically sets out the three main reasons why people are attracted to veganism and does so in a straight forward, mater-of-fact style that is free from emotive language. This book was a very important stepping stone in helping me to become vegan. One year later after having first read this book, I am still vegan and am very happy. Highly recommended to all. 5 stars.