Published 19 months ago by Mr. B. Stewart

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed drive
Published 13 months ago by Mr. Elton V. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital drives have a good reputation and have never left me down yet, 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: WD Caviar 3TB SATA 6 GB/s 64MB Cache 3.5 inch OEM Internal Hard Drive Green (Personal Computers)
I wanted a large fast but green 3TB hard drives for my Hornettek Enterprise 4X (Quad Bay Enclosure) and this seemed like the most affordable option in the long run. Arrived very quickly and well packaged. Should hopefully last several years. I monitor all my PC's drives health using Acronis Drive Monitor (Free Tool) just incase. My 1TB PC internal Seagate SATA drive which is only 2 years old is showing a problem. However the 5 year old Seagate main drive SATA HD doesn't. Everyone has different experiences but i still believe that if one brand is good for you then stick with them. I highly recommend this drive!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a cheap, standard drive of (still) very ..., 31 July 2014
This is a cheap, standard drive of (still) very high capacity. Not suitable for NAS (go for WD Red), but it doesn't claim to be .I have found them to be I have several of these drives (2 and 3 TB) and find them to be both reliable and quiet.

I believe (but may be proven wrong) they have 3 (667GB) and 4 (750GB) platters respectively. Essentially the more platters, the more data can be stored, but also the risk of a mechanical fault increases. WD Green 4TB drives have 4 (1TB) platters.

As it is a drive over about 2.19TB you will not "see" the drive under Windows 7 until you initialise the drive. Right-clicking of "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Disc Management", then select the drive and chooses "initialize" you should choose "GTP".

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice drive with good response times, 1 Oct. 2011
I have bought WD drives previously and have been happy with their reliability and performance. Whilst it is early days, so far I have not been disappointed with the pair of these which I purchased. I have experienced no issues as a direct result of the drives and the unit is keeping them working well.

On this occasion I have bought a pair of these 3TB drives to work in a dual drive NAS drive unit. A little over the top for the performance, but the price was very good and slightly better than the 3 GB/s option at the time. For the past few days I've been copying content to them, whilst also streaming some content from them. In preparation for these drives, I had updated the firmware on the NAS drive unit so that it can support 3TB drives before installation. You may also wish to confirm that you are using the latest firmware/BIOS/SATA drivers for you system as some older systems may have issues with the larger capacity these drives offer.

As with all SATA drives, it was a simple case of plugging them in, initialising, partitioning and formatting them. They were ready to use within an hour of arrival, but I know that formatting them for use on a PC would have taken a lot longer using the standard method (i.e. not quick format).

I have set them up using a RAID 0 configuration. This should ensure faultless HD Video streaming over my LAN, which will be their primary use. Whilst this configuration offers no data redundancy, the data isn't highly valuable. Any loss would be an inconvenience though. The unit does offer other RAID options which would support automatic data backup.

I intend to get a larger unit at a later date and would happily use these (or similar drives) if all works well in the mean time. In my case such a larger unit will make use of a better RAID system, meaning that there should be less chance of data loss. I already have my eyes on such a unit, but I will need to save up some money for everything first.

For reference, the NAS drive unit I am using is the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (Diskless) RNDU2000.

5.0 out of 5 stars love them..., 15 Mar. 2012
i have had Western Digital My Book drives for what seems forever now & fearing they MIGHT start playing up & loose data in the process i decided to buy the superlative NewerTech Guardian Maximus Raid1 FW800 enclosure without drives & ordered 2 of these here to install in it
unfortunately one was DOA but immediately after i contacted Avides/sent the defective back, i got a new one, inserted it in my FW800 Raid 1 enclosure & the NewerTech copied everything to the new drive &....life is good again !
they are quiet, they take loads of stuff & all things being equal + a little luck , i'm sure they will keep on going on strong for a long time

5.0 out of 5 stars storage, 20 Nov. 2011
excellent sata 3tb drive. very competatively priced works very well in my hot-swap docking station and is very quiet would recomment to anyone

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed drive, 15 Feb. 2014
Having spent days populating the drive with data the drive unexpectedly failed overnight while the last 500GB or so was being copied. The drive was unreadable and the Management Services failed to see it let alone read the drive. Frustrating but not too bad as this drive was intended as a backup and therefore I still had all my original sources. It was just a waste of my time sorting through my data and commencing copy procedures.

So opted to reformat the drive and start again but ....the 3TB drive was reduced to 700GB drive instead!

I cannot print my thoughts at this time so opted to return to Amazon. I have many WD Green drives up to 2TB and have never had any issues. Maybe it was just a bad drive [the law of averages says you're going to get one at some time], maybe it didn't like my PC or what I was copying .... I'll never know. But once again, thanks to Amazon for their first class returns procedures.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after a couple of weeks, 4 April 2014
I usually buy Seagate drives after having problems with Western Digital in the past. I thought I'd give them another shot but this failed after a couple of weeks and I had to send it back to Amazon. Disappointing. They need to improve their quality control.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is absolutely idle and falls into the perfect range of 25°C to 40°C, 22 Sept. 2014
Bought 5 of these for archiving video. I mount them through a hotswap bay and they work flawlessly.

Idle temp is around 28°C, with full load 35°C (in a case with one 120mm fan intake and one 120mm fan out-take). Obviously, this is absolutely idle and falls into the perfect range of 25°C to 40°C.

I've had them running a few weeks now, interchanging them and as I've come to expect with WD Green, they are excellent performers for the purpose of archiving or running in a system where they are not frequently accessed. Some people report they have issues with them, but I suspect they aren't using them for their purpose. If people are looking to use these drives frequently, I would protect the drive from wear by using WDIDLE3...

I use WDIDLE3.EXE to reduce the excessive LLC count which occurs with all WD Green drives. By default the drive goes into an idle state after 8 seconds, which is fantastic for the environment, but not for the life of the drive. I changed it to 300 seconds, which is the max you can do without disabling it all together (not recommended). A couple of things to bare in mind when considering WDIDLE3.. make sure that before you run it you change the hard disk mode in your BIOS to IDE and not AHCI (you can change it back after). Also disconnect any non- WD Green drives (or any WD Green drives you don't want to change the idle time for).

All in all a perfect drive for my needs at an exceptionally low price at the time of the review (£74.99 for 3TB Version)

4.0 out of 5 stars This hard drive is quiet, low power consumption, runs cool and high data transfer capacity, 11 Aug. 2014
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is an inexpensive internal hard drive, quiet, low power consumption, runs cool, high data transfer capacity, easily good enough data rate for archived files and music. For a small PC build the Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB ,or higher, drive could be very useful in a dual-drive computer, with one slot filled by a solid state drive (SSD) and the other by the 3TB hard drive. The SSD could be used as a boot and application drive to increase boot-up and load times, and the hard disk drive could be used as the mass storage device. However, these Green drives are NOT recommended RAID - here is the blurb from WD themselves:

'Desktop drives are not recommended for use in RAID environments, please consider using WD Red hard drives for desktop RAID environments or WD datacenter hard drives for rackmount or large RAID configurations.'

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty or Incompatible, 9 Aug. 2013
The drive would initialize but show up as uninitialized when rebooted. Would also not reliably format as GPT Data Drive. Support site for my motherboard explains how to install and format drives over 2.2GB so should not be a compatibility issue. Possibly a faulty unit, but I decided to go for a 2TB instead in case it was a problem with my system. As usual Amazon return process was straightforward.