5.0 out of 5 stars This is a cheap, standard drive of (still) very ...
This is a cheap, standard drive of (still) very high capacity. Not suitable for NAS (go for WD Red), but it doesn't claim to be .I have found them to be I have several of these drives (2 and 3 TB) and find them to be both reliable and quiet.

Published 9 months ago by Mr. C. S. Lubinski

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable without hacking.
Published 1 month ago by Tim Callaghan

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a cheap, standard drive of (still) very ..., 31 July 2014
This review is from: WD Caviar 3TB SATA 6 GB/s 64MB Cache 3.5 inch OEM Internal Hard Drive Green (Personal Computers)

I believe (but may be proven wrong) they have 3 (667GB) and 4 (750GB) platters respectively. Essentially the more platters, the more data can be stored, but also the risk of a mechanical fault increases. WD Green 4TB drives have 4 (1TB) platters.

As it is a drive over about 2.19TB you will not "see" the drive under Windows 7 until you initialise the drive. Right-clicking of "My Computer" and selecting "Manage", then clicking on "Disc Management", then select the drive and chooses "initialize" you should choose "GTP".

5.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital drives have a good reputation and have never left me down yet, 7 Sept. 2013
I wanted a large fast but green 3TB hard drives for my Hornettek Enterprise 4X (Quad Bay Enclosure) and this seemed like the most affordable option in the long run. Arrived very quickly and well packaged. Should hopefully last several years. I monitor all my PC's drives health using Acronis Drive Monitor (Free Tool) just incase. My 1TB PC internal Seagate SATA drive which is only 2 years old is showing a problem. However the 5 year old Seagate main drive SATA HD doesn't. Everyone has different experiences but i still believe that if one brand is good for you then stick with them. I highly recommend this drive!

5.0 out of 5 stars love them..., 15 Mar. 2012
i have had Western Digital My Book drives for what seems forever now & fearing they MIGHT start playing up & loose data in the process i decided to buy the superlative NewerTech Guardian Maximus Raid1 FW800 enclosure without drives & ordered 2 of these here to install in it
unfortunately one was DOA but immediately after i contacted Avides/sent the defective back, i got a new one, inserted it in my FW800 Raid 1 enclosure & the NewerTech copied everything to the new drive &....life is good again !
they are quiet, they take loads of stuff & all things being equal + a little luck , i'm sure they will keep on going on strong for a long time

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice drive with good response times, 1 Oct. 2011
I have bought WD drives previously and have been happy with their reliability and performance. Whilst it is early days, so far I have not been disappointed with the pair of these which I purchased. I have experienced no issues as a direct result of the drives and the unit is keeping them working well.

On this occasion I have bought a pair of these 3TB drives to work in a dual drive NAS drive unit. A little over the top for the performance, but the price was very good and slightly better than the 3 GB/s option at the time. For the past few days I've been copying content to them, whilst also streaming some content from them. In preparation for these drives, I had updated the firmware on the NAS drive unit so that it can support 3TB drives before installation. You may also wish to confirm that you are using the latest firmware/BIOS/SATA drivers for you system as some older systems may have issues with the larger capacity these drives offer.

As with all SATA drives, it was a simple case of plugging them in, initialising, partitioning and formatting them. They were ready to use within an hour of arrival, but I know that formatting them for use on a PC would have taken a lot longer using the standard method (i.e. not quick format).

I have set them up using a RAID 0 configuration. This should ensure faultless HD Video streaming over my LAN, which will be their primary use. Whilst this configuration offers no data redundancy, the data isn't highly valuable. Any loss would be an inconvenience though. The unit does offer other RAID options which would support automatic data backup.

I intend to get a larger unit at a later date and would happily use these (or similar drives) if all works well in the mean time. In my case such a larger unit will make use of a better RAID system, meaning that there should be less chance of data loss. I already have my eyes on such a unit, but I will need to save up some money for everything first.

For reference, the NAS drive unit I am using is the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 2 (Diskless) RNDU2000.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge capacity, good speeds and so far so good!, 4 Sept. 2013
I got this to complement an SSD in my new PC build (whilst the SSD is fine for Windows and most of my programs, my 300 GB worth of pictures, videos, music and documents needs something with more capacity rather than more speed.)

Installation into my case was nice and easy, and once formatted in Windows as an NTFS drive, I found myself with 2.72 TB worth of space to work with. Copying onto the drive via USB 3.0 was nice and fast (limited only by the USB 3.0 drive itself), and I had all my data on the drive within a few hours. The initial chkdsk showed no bad sectors, and have had no issues with it thus far (however one week isn't quite long enough to give a totally good picture of a hard drive's reliability.) Copying between this and my SSD is a consistent 150 MB/s, which is more than fast enough to satisfy me - especially given that I don't often find myself needing to do this.

The 3 TB capacity is colossal for me, and I find myself looking for new ways to try fill it - expanding my music tastes and downloading an assortment of films hasn't even put much pressure on it, still over half empty! It's going to be a long while before I need to upgrade this hard drive.

Overall, I'd strongly recommend this hard drive for anyone looking to build a new PC, or just looking for an upgrade to replace or supplement their existing storage. I can't report on it as a boot drive in terms of load times (use an SSD personally) but I'm sure it won't disappoint on that front either.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable without hacking., 6 April 2015
Frustrating drive, I have two, and both have had problems. The power saving technology in these drives isn't quite right yet. First of all, they're a little off-putting, spinning up and down all the time. They almost sound like a dying disk on its way out. All this head parking every 8 seconds appears to increase your risk to bad sectors. Look at the attached image, 2x in the same system, 2x warnings about read failures. I ended up with one disk in really bad shape with reads around 200Kb/s (ironically running a chkdsk that found 0 problems speeded it up?) and boot times of up to 20 minutes (this isn't even the system disk!?).

The only way I've got these to be stable, is by going through the massively convoluted process of creating a universal boot cd (on USB), launch into FreeDOS and run the WDIDLE3 utility and turn off the disk parking in the firmware. Then wipe the disks and start again.

It's early days, but I'm kind of happy with them now. I should probably RMA them, but I don't have enough free storage elsewhere to temporarily be without them, so I'm sticking with it. If you're looking to buy these based on the great TB to £/$ rate...I'd personally look elsewhere. Western Digital are a good brand, just avoid these Greens.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed drive, 15 Feb. 2014
Having spent days populating the drive with data the drive unexpectedly failed overnight while the last 500GB or so was being copied. The drive was unreadable and the Management Services failed to see it let alone read the drive. Frustrating but not too bad as this drive was intended as a backup and therefore I still had all my original sources. It was just a waste of my time sorting through my data and commencing copy procedures.

So opted to reformat the drive and start again but ....the 3TB drive was reduced to 700GB drive instead!

I cannot print my thoughts at this time so opted to return to Amazon. I have many WD Green drives up to 2TB and have never had any issues. Maybe it was just a bad drive [the law of averages says you're going to get one at some time], maybe it didn't like my PC or what I was copying .... I'll never know. But once again, thanks to Amazon for their first class returns procedures.

4.0 out of 5 stars This hard drive is quiet, low power consumption, runs cool and high data transfer capacity, 11 Aug. 2014
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is an inexpensive internal hard drive, quiet, low power consumption, runs cool, high data transfer capacity, easily good enough data rate for archived files and music. For a small PC build the Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB ,or higher, drive could be very useful in a dual-drive computer, with one slot filled by a solid state drive (SSD) and the other by the 3TB hard drive. The SSD could be used as a boot and application drive to increase boot-up and load times, and the hard disk drive could be used as the mass storage device. However, these Green drives are NOT recommended RAID - here is the blurb from WD themselves:

'Desktop drives are not recommended for use in RAID environments, please consider using WD Red hard drives for desktop RAID environments or WD datacenter hard drives for rackmount or large RAID configurations.'

5.0 out of 5 stars storage, 20 Nov. 2011
excellent sata 3tb drive. very competatively priced works very well in my hot-swap docking station and is very quiet would recomment to anyone

4.0 out of 5 stars HDD for my NAS, 11 Sept. 2013
R. Gallardo "nya-chama" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I have a 4 bay NAS with a proprietary RAID system which can be upgraded over time. I started out with regular hard drives and I noticed that the power consumption from the NAS was quite high.
Slowly over time I replaced the drive with WD Green hard drives, 1TB, 2TB and now 3TB. All 4 bays have WD Green drives now and the the power consumption has gone down and it is less noisy.
If you plan having something on all the time then I highly recommend the WD Green drives.

The 1 star is lost on the long wake up time when the drive is put to sleep. If I don't access my drive for a while my NAS puts the drives to sleep, then if I decide to access it it will take anything from 20-40 seconds to start receiving data. But once it's woken up, works perfectly.