5.0 out of 5 stars Joe is back - stupendous
I pre-ordered this a while ago. Not sure why it has turned up a few days ahead of the alleged release date, but very pleased that it has.

I have been a Joe fan for quite a while now, and I just love all of his work - up until I bought Black Rock that is. I don't know what it is about that album, it is just... weird. I don't like it. I was worried...
Published on 18 Mar 2011 by David P

3.0 out of 5 stars A little different
After the previous high ratings and the fact I'm going to see him play live soon I thought I best get the latest stuff since he'll no doubt be playing it. However, I was slightly disappointed in the lack of upbeat songs here. I'm more of a rock fan, so some of his previous, gritty tunes are what made me listen, he also has an awesome voice. However, this seems to lack...
Published on 20 Aug 2011 by Uberdude

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Best to date, 15 April 2011
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
This is Bonamassa's best effort so far. A wonderful talent, a real guitar hero and this album gets better with each playing. Soaring scales and solo work, this is a modern blues classic and unashamedly blues at that; a supremely confident and well put together work just aching to be played LOUD, very LOUD. Just one downside is that it leaves you aware, just like his other work to date, that the best is still to come from Joe. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is more like it !, 27 Mar 2011
A. J. Sudworth "tonysudworth" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
The free download from his web site was a taster for an album that is quite simply outstanding. Ok, I am a fan of his but after 'Black Rock' I was thinking he may have peaked - here he has his passion back and it shows - for a blues guitarist that really essential I think
The album opens up with 'Slow Train' , played on his last tour, and I played this three times before I even moved onto the rest of the album - sad eh?
His song writing credits are for half the 12 songs on the album and that seems to be a pattern because he seems to love having a go at the classics as well - 'Heartbreaker' is the stand out one for me on this album
The other songs that jumped straight out were ' The Whale that swallowed Jonah' , 'Prisoner' and 'The Last Matador of Bayonne' - and of course the title track 'Dust Bowl'
If you liked his earlier stuff they I think you'll love this - and if you havn't tried his music this would be a great starting point - and there is a back catalog to explore as well ..
The booklet that comes with the Limited Edition is his life story on the road - he really seems to appreciate his fans ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Joe Is Back-Dustbowl Outstanding Album!, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
I got Dustbowl yesterday and have played it through 5 times now.I think John Henry is a superb album but this is even better!

Slow Train was showcased on the October 2010 tour and this kick proceedings off in tremendous style.Joe's voice has really matured now,and his guitar playing is superb.

The Last Matador Of Bayonne reminds me of The Great Flood from John Henry. It starts quietly and slowly yet builds into a virtuoso guitar solo.

If it's heavy riffs and guitar solos to die for that you need, then look no further than this album. No Love On The Street, and the beautiful Prisoner would be amazing live and I only hope they will be included on this October's tour.

5 Stars- I would give it more if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars JB back to his best!, 22 Mar 2011
John Atkinson "doublejd" (Huddersfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
Just bought the album today and am on the second listening as I write this. As a long time fan of Joe this is him back to his very best, every track is brilliant and has definitely been influenced by his recent work with Black Country Communion. I've got three simple recommendations to make, buy it!, play it loud! and play it long!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jo Bo on form, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
Been a fan of Joe Bonamassa since his "Had to cry today" album and he's never disappointed. Clapton was always my guitar hero, since the sixties and thought no one would ever play the blues like he does, but I saw Joe live for the first time in Edinburgh last year and he just blew me away. This LP (not CD) is his best yet.There is something for everyone on this album. "Heartbreaker" is a wonderful track and to be honest, could have done without Mr Hughes, but there you go. Somebody else commented that the track "Dust bowl" sounds better than the one Planet Rock have been playing and I would agree, but perhaps that's just to do with the volume I'm listening at. A great album. Buy it, you won't be disappointed....trust me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Since Sloe Gin, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
I was disappointed with Joe's last two releases but this one is a cracker.I've only listened to it once but would say its as good as Sloe Gin ,if not better.A definite "must buy" for anyone who loves quality blues rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joey B, Back to his best, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
Got this a couple of days ago and it has not left my cd player, supberb collection of Blues/Rock,just buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bluesbeater!, 19 Mar 2011
J. M. Green "john94682" (Sutton Coldfield) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
I have to admit that last time out, JB had, maybe, just lost a bit of direction, but then that was possibly more down to the location where he recorded Black Rock....."never trust Greek's bearing gifts", I believe is the expression....however, it was not a bad album, just not one of his best.
So, what do we have here in the form of Dust Bowl...."a veritable gem", I believe is the expression - a real return to form.
Kicking off with Slow Train, we hear a "train" gathering momentum until Joe cuts over the top with his trademark guitar and vocals on a slice of mid-paced blues which cuts to the haunting title track that many of us had been presented with as a taster to the album by Planet Rock, and I have to admit that the album version is even more attention grabbing than the radio play with more reverb giving the haunting impression of the desolation of a true dust bowl.
Tennessee Plates cuts a country pose with John Hiatt sharing the vocals before the shining glory of The Meaning Of The Blues gives us searing JB guitar in great dollops....this is what the punters want, and the vocals come back out of the higher reaches, which it has to be said, is where JB's vocals sit much better.
Black Lung Heartache still runs the vestiges of Black Rock and therefore is possibly the weakest track resultant, but you rapidly forget this as you are swallowed up by the rest of the album with The Last Matador Of Bayonne, No Love On The Street and Prisoner all ably demonstrating why this iconic bluesman is going to be pushing the blues envelope for many years to come.
And, a mention has to be made of the great packaging that this Limited Edition comes in. The tale of JB's roots cuts an interesting bit of history along with junior JB photos makes for a brilliant product experience....well, what more could you want?
Do you really need me to tell you more? Just do yourself a big favour and buy Dust Bowl, you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars P.STEVENS, 18 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
Just arrived today.Well presented limited deluxe edition. The music!!!!!! Wow. Played nonstop in the car.Thanks Bob Harris for playing 'Slow Train' on your late night program 12 March BBC2. Still cannot name favorite track.Buy it you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on form, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dust Bowl (Audio CD)
Bonamassa`s 12th album might just be his best yet; After the very disappointing Black Rock, Dust Bowl sees him back playing what he knows best; searing blues-rock, albeit with a country tune and a not particularly brilliant cover of Free`s Heartbreaker thrown in. I might just be a tad biased regarding the latter, as Heartbreaker was my favourite Free album and this version just seems a bit too twiddly for my liking. In fact if there`s one criticism I`d lay at JB`s door, it`s that he can get a bit too twiddly a bit too often. That and the fact that this feels a little over-produced. But hey, no matter; that all pales into insignificance when you turn up the volume and get lost in the pure genius of the man`s playing. Personal favourite is the final track, Prisoner. Oh and The opener, Slow train.In fact there`s scarcely any filler at all on this, it`s all that good. Buy it. Now.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›