1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fantasy Series I Have Been Waiting For, 18 July 2012
This review is from: Forger of the Runeblade (The Runeblade Saga Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
In my youth I spent hours reading fantasy novels. I would wade through the huge tomes of Edding and Brooks or whoever else crossed my path. Now that I have a little less time on my hands I have become a bit more discerning. I recently read the Age of Misrule by Mark Chadbourne which had the excellent notion of mixing classical fantasy with a contemporary setting. The delivery made for an entertaining and ambitious peice that never really found its footing.

Chappell attempts a similar thing with Forger of the Rune Blade but with a far greater level of success. The scale is not quite as ambitious and the author seems more concerned with his story telling than trying to innovate the genre. However, what he delivers is a near flawless piece of young adult fantasy that has clear cross over appeal to us older readers. The story progesses at a fast past and holds your interest at all times, the characters are charming and likeable. All in all this is a great read. I greatly enjoyed that it was set on the Wirral, we haven't had a decent fantasy mention since Clive Barker's Weaveworld.

It's not the most challenging piece I have ever read and I wouldn't put it up there with the books I'd give five stars too such as The Lord of the Rings or American Gods. However, I'll confess that I was a little more entertained by this one, it's pure unadulterated entertainment that gives more to its reader than it aska of them and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to escape into a more exciting world for a while.