Format: DVD|Change

on 4 May 2011
I first saw this as a 5 year old in the 80's and remember absolutely loving it. Having to put up with dodgily edited, poorly recorded VHS (home recorded) copies for all these years I was delighted to see these avaialble on DVD at long last.

The story is much the same as more modern series like Band of Brothers in that it follows a group of young men through the carnage of war. The trench scenes with the mud and the rats put more modern offerings like the trench to shame. The characters are fantastic, Cleary (Paul Hogan) was a hero of mine at 5, however my appreciation for this series has grown over the years from enjoying the banter and the battle scenes to really appreciating the extremes these men were forced to endure and it heightened my interest in the war to the point I now read alot around it in my spare time.

The battle scenes are still great, the scale of the production would not look out of place today and the feeling of futility and waste only gets worse with every watch. I also like the fact that although an Australian production it does not try to glamourise the ANZACS at the expense of other nations who fought in the war mentioning the Canadians victories and showiing that the English also did their bit (unlike american offerings that sometimes try and claim they were the sole winners of the wars, Private Ryan etc).

I cant recommend this series enough. If you have any interest in war films or history, if you like a bit of action, if you loved Band of Brothers and the Pacific you will love this series. This is not a gamble to buy in terms of quality of production and acting.

As for who is selling it I cant remember who I bought mine off but other than having Dutch writing on the cover the discs were faultless and complete and I wasnt that bothered about the cover anyway quite frankly. I also had included the making of Anzacs which was good to see.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 September 2011
This is a must see series for anyone interested in WW1 period drama, very much in the style of Wings - Series 1-2 [DVD] [1977]. This 7.5 hour series was first broadcast over here in England in 1981 and has remained in my memory all this time, so good was the acting, storylines and battle scenes. Crucially, the characterisations in this series are top notch, especially as regards the Pat Cleary (played by Paul Hogan) character, with him being responsible for most of the humour in the show.
The series shows in sometimes graphic detail the experiences of the Aussies in WW1, ably demonstrating how bands of men stayed together under pressure, their loyalty to each other keeping them sane as friends die all around them. Amazingly the series does feature a couple of genuine WW1 tanks in battle scenes, as this was a time way before CGI became in vogue.
Apart from the series the DVD also contains an hour long 'making of' programme that adds to the enjoyment factor.
I really cannot recommend this enough to people who like war dramas, as it is right up there with the very best. In short, a worthy tribute to those who sacrificed themselves for us.
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2013
I enjoyed this series when I first saw it on TV years ago. The portrayal of British soldiers especially the senior officers is a stereotypical Aussie view of we Brits but it is no less enjoyable for this.
on 14 August 2012
I too watched this when it was first on the TV. All I could remember was Flanagan running and taking out a German machine gun post. Brilliant stuff.
Do not be put off by the fact that it is a Dutch import. The picture quality is perfect for a transfer to DVD of such an 'old' series; the sound quality is fine, and YES, you
can easily turn off the Dutch subtitles and it plays in English.
Watching the first disc i thought it was not ooing to be as good as I remembered, a bit too much humour from Paul Hogan, but by the third disc when you have got to know the characters and things are really grim for them, I was hooked and watched it every night. Not as 'serious' as 'Band of Brothers' or 'The Pacific' but still very stirring and moving. I had wet eyes at the end. It give five it a full five stars without reservation.

Gallipoli - Collectors Edition (1982) [DVD] [1981]The Lighthorsemen (1987 Jon Blake DVD) / english coverBreaker Morant [1980] [DVD]
on 8 January 2014
Bit worried about Dutch subtitles, but they were easily got rid off. Enjoyed the series immensely. Considering when it was made, long before fancy special effects were introduced, the filming was brilliant and made you really care about the soldiers and what they endured, Would recommend to everyone, particularly those with an interest in the Great War, and especially in this anniversary year.
on 26 March 2013
I really loved this series when it was first shown on the BBC and wore out the VHS version we had, was really glad when I saw it was in stock on DVD. It doesn't disappoint, it's as great as I remember it being, and I still find bits that I'd either missed as a child/ teen or not understood. A timeless classic.
on 12 March 2013
Been a long time since this was last shown on British television.......too long , concidering the dross on there these days !!
I'd have to say that it's stood the test of time better than a lot of series from the '80s , although no doubt if remade now it would be grittier { and have bigger battle scenes }
on 16 May 2015
I've spent 30 years in anticipation of seeing this again since it was first shown on TV. With so much anticipation there is always the risk of disappointment. No so here.

This the best thing I've ever seen about WW1. It has everything: drama, action, adventure, humour, romance...The 5 discs tell the story of a group of Australian soldiers from before the start of the war until after the armistice. The horrors of war are not as explicit as you might see these days, but neither are they shied away from. The story also shows us the perspectives of those left at home to worry, as well as the generals and politicians. Some of the secondary characters are a little two-dimensional, but it doesn't really matter because ultimately this is a tale of Aussie mateship and the extraordinary things men will do for their comrades. Magnificent
on 4 January 2014
My interest in the First World War has been rekindled as we approach the 100th anniversary of the start of the conflict. I remember seeing this series years ago, but I now have a far greater appreciation of " The war to end all Wars" that both my grandfathers and great uncles went through. "Anzacs" is simply excellent and I was immediately struck by the detail of the series and more importantly by the overall accuracy and the feeling of the whole thing. Having recently been reading first hand accounts and letters of the troops from the time, I was struck by the sheer familiarity of it all, it was a very true reflection of thoughts and views expressed in the memoirs written at the time and shortly afterwards by the men that had actually been through it.
Whilst not perfect nor for the absolute purist, it touches on all the aspects of trench warfare, the lice, the rats, death and senseless destruction, mud, the effects of the weather and the sense of intense comradeship endured by our forebears it manages it all without wallowing in sentimentality or political correctness or over emphasis on the undoubted horror of the whole four years. If you have even a passing interest in the First World War or want to learn more in an entertaining but fairly accurate way this is an excellent place to start.
on 26 December 2012
PAUL HOGAN IS BRILLIANT IN THIS. REMEBER WATCHING THIS ALONG TIME AGO AND HAVE WAITED A LONG TIME TO OWN IT ON DVD. FANTASTIC PROGRAMME WELL WORTH A WATCH.