4.0 out of 5 stars ideal for visualy impeaird
nice Little m/c ideal for blind and V I P people as controls at the front & easy to find only draw back battery`s inside and bit hard to get out
Published 12 months ago by Malcolm H. Marvin

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough.
I returned this discman straight away for a refund the day after I bought it.
My main complaint was the poor sound quality. There's a constant russling noise in the background.
Published 17 months ago by Daniel

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough., 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Philips EXP2546 Portable MP3-CD Player (Electronics)
I returned this discman straight away for a refund the day after I bought it.
Also, the volume level is too limited. It's not as jogproof as it claims to be and also the "stop" button didn't always work, resulting in me pressing the button endlessly to stop the cd playing.
I was very disappointed because I had expected a high quality discman. Don't settle for this rubbish, look further and go for quality.

I've now bought Sony Walkman D-EJ011. I'm very pleased with this Sony one. I feel the D-EJ011 is excellent quality for a reasonable price and would recommend it instead.

2.0 out of 5 stars TLDR: S***e, 28 Mar 2013
Greg A. (Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips EXP2546 Portable MP3-CD Player (Electronics)
OK, I'm into most Phillips equipment, and seeing as my previous CD player was a Phillips EXP2450 (god bless it, it lasted for years) i thought that this would be of a similar quality, concerning audio and build. Now, when i first tried it, I first realized that the build quality wasn't nearly as good, and the morons at Phillips decided to take a step backward in user friendliness right away. In pictures, you see the player as a glossy, sleek piece of machinery; which it isn't. The plastic seems as if it is the cheapest polystyrene they could muster. It scratches easily, has no weight to it; seems as if it would crush, and it generally feels cheap, like the rest of the product. The outstanding design issue, for me, never minding the very light cover, would be the fact that they have put the controls on the front, facing down. This renders the tiny display useless, and the size of the buttons have also taken a hit. The buttons themselves are very cheap and do not press in uniformly. It took me more than enough time just to find simple buttons for changing track and turning the bloody thing off.
Now on to the audio. Forget the stupid ear buds, but i can forgive them this, its a crime that they are included with almost all AV equipment. I am a music lover and an audiophile at heart, although it does not excuse the sound that it makes. First off, even listening on the loudest setting, it is hardly loud, rendering volumes below 28 useless. My old CD player (the aforementioned EXP2450) had only 30 volume settings, but I could never get past 25 comfortably, which is good considering quieter music.
Currently, i am listening to Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge over Troubled Water, which I use as an audio tester seeing as it has low and high volume sections, with variations in pitch very noticable. Listening to this on the highest setting (the only really acceptable volume) I notice a very distinct distortion in both channels whenever G sings. Listening to this on a different machine, it is not here. On 3 other machines (computer, a different CD player and a DVD player) all whilst wearing the same headphones, this distortion remains. My older player never had this problem, but cost a similar price. Even for people not interested in higher class quality will find fault here.

SUMMARY:
This product seems like a very badly made, poor quality product. Even simple features like the headphone jack seems cheap, and looks like it could break. The finish is lousy in comparison to the other models described, the interface is flawed in every aspect, and it just skipped a track whilst I was writing this section. Avoid

1.0 out of 5 stars poor quality, 18 Oct 2011
This review is from: Philips EXP2546 Portable MP3-CD Player (Electronics)
I found it to be very difficult to use, The lid does not lift up to allow good vision of which way the battray fits.
The buttons are very small and not clearly marked. I have not suceeded in playing one disc on it yet. I believe it to be faulty

2.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it, 18 July 2013
This review is from: Philips EXP2546 Portable MP3-CD Player (Electronics)
Unfortunately this product does not meet my expectations. Only a few first songs I could listen with a pleasure and then disc jummed up every 10 seconds. It wasn't possible to listen all songs without breaks. The same happened with every CD I have put to the player.

2.0 out of 5 stars PPP - Piss Poor Philips, 20 April 2013
This review is from: Philips EXP2546 Portable MP3-CD Player (Electronics)
Sound quality is okay, but apart from that it is very poor quality product. Keeps reseting the volume each time you put in a disc. Buttons are very small and fiddly and worst of all no 'hold' button. Fat and lacking style, had better from Phillps over a decade ago.

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected Better, 26 Sep 2011
This review is from: Philips EXP2546 Portable MP3-CD Player (Electronics)
I bought this CD player through a rival seller - but still returned it just a few days later. As soon as I got it out of the packaging, I was disappointed with the quality; it's very 'plastic'. It takes a moment to read a CD when you first put it in, it makes a racket as it plays, and what clinched it for me was the terrible sound quality - adding the Bass just makes it distorted. Pretty poor all round.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's rubbish!, 12 Mar 2014
J. E. Graham (Nottingham, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips EXP2546 Portable MP3-CD Player (Electronics)
It claims to be a MP3 player...I tried to play a disc which works perfectly well on my home computer, and it doesn't play AT ALL!!! It claims "no disc"...

4.0 out of 5 stars ideal for visualy impeaird, 17 Aug 2013
Malcolm H. Marvin (Lincoln) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars mp3, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Philips EXP2546 Portable MP3-CD Player (Electronics)
It is great I just need to understand how to use it better and found that there are so many booklets when you opened the packaging it
is confusing plus not simple to understand

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor performance, 30 Jun 2012
RJM (Frome, Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips EXP2546 Portable MP3-CD Player (Electronics)
My daughter bought this product from another retailer for my use in hospital. From the first time of playing it would jump to the next track after about 10 seconds on about 4 tracks per disc, suggesting it went into a 'search' mode from time to time. On almost every track there were gaps of a second or two which I initially put down to faulty or dirty discs but realised that the player was at fault as neither these 'skips' nor the propensity to jump to the next track occurred consistently at the same point/s.

She took it back to the retailer for a replacement, which performed perfectly with the single disc that I initially tried. A couple of weeks later found me back in hospital. Within an hour or two of use the replacement was showing the same faults as the original, and more frequently. In addition, the disc frequently failed to start unless removed and re-inserted, sometime two or three attempts being required. The player also emitted a 'rubbing' noise when any of the three faults occurred. None of my discs were 'warped' or physically damaged/distorted in any way.

We obtained a refund which I shall now use to buy a better portable CD player from Amazon...after checking the reviews carefully. I hope I can keep out of hospital until it arrives...or, better still, for a lot longer!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›