4.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly modern thriller with a good old-fashioned flavour, 24 May 2012
This review is from: Black Diamond Death (Sloane Monroe Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Cheryl Bradshaw has crafted a fast-paced thriller that draws the reader in with its easy, flowing prose. The character of Sloane Monroe is our protagonist and narrator - as with any first person narrative, having a well-developed voice is key here as otherwise discrepancies between a character's actions and how they 'talk' to the reader can stick out. There are no such discrepancies here - Sloane Monroe's character and narrative voice are seamless. She is likeable and open yet it becomes clear she has hidden depths that intrigue the reader. She can be soft and strong, adapting to the characters and situations she encounters as you would expect a private detective to be able to do. There is also a sense of history to Sloane and her compatriots which creates a very effective sense of continuity, you feel like you are walking into a world that has been ticking along for a good long while, even though this is the first of Sloane's stories. Again, this is key for a debut that is also the beginning of a series - the familiarity of a murder mystery narrative allows for the author to steadily build up emotional complexities as the plot goes through its twists and turns so that, by the end, not only do we know what happened and why, we have also made a new friend in Sloane Monroe and we are looking forward to joining her in the next adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, 5 Jun 2014
Ann Stanmore (Ann in Windsor) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. Fast action, great characters, and I just loved Sloan. I will be looking to buy more of this authors work.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Author, 27 Nov 2013
Debbie (AMMANFORD, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Since receiving my kindle as a present off my husband, I have enjoyed so many new authors, Cheryl Bradshaw is one of them. I would recommend this book to any one who enjoys a suspense crime/thriller

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new myster writer, 7 Oct 2012
Scarpetta (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I am always delighted when I come across a new writer of crime mysteries. I was hooked from the beginning of the book to the point that halfway through the first book I bought the next 2 in the series!
The premise of the book is that a skier dies on the slopes but the police think it is an accident. As readers we already know from the start that all is not what it seems but it is not until PI Sloane Monroe starts investigating on behalf of the victim's sister that the police change their opinion.
The characters are well written, especially Sloane, who could come across as unlikeable, but Cheryl Bradshaw has made her seem ballsy whilst still being feminine.
The romance angle was, whilst seeming typical in this type of story, well developed and even in that part of the story not quite what it seems.
For those of us who enjoy Janet Evanovich, Sara Paretsky or G.A. McKevett this series is one to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book leaving you guessing until the end., 4 Aug 2012
This is not the normal type of book I usually read but must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed it. It moves at a fast pace and I was very quickly drawn into the book and it's characters. What appears to be a skiing accident is investigated by Sloane Monroe after being contacted by the sister of the deceased. I was kept guessing who the murderer was until the end of the book. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, 9 May 2011
This book hooked me immediately! The easy flow of the writing and the ease of the storyline was definitely a breath of fresh air. You do not have to stop and say, "Wait, what happened?" It has a natural progression without giving anything away. I look forward to the author's next book! I cannot wait to see how the series progresses. What a great start for a new author!