5.0 out of 5 stars HE'S GOT WHAT IT TAKES, 26 April 2011
This review is from: I'll Pick a Rose for My Rose: the Complete Motown Recordings 1964-1971 (Audio CD)
This is the Motown CD fans have been waiting for - twenty six generous helpings of prime Motown Sound by Marv Johnson, the man who recorded the very first Tamla single, way back when. After a few years of releasing Motown and non-Motown product on United Artists, Marv returned to Motown proper in 1964.

This set comprises Marv's in-house productions from 1964 to 1971 and what a collection it is. Title track ROSE was so popular in the UK that we were treated to a Tamla Motown album, with some tracks not released in America. That album is remastered here, along with a clutch of excellent vault tracks. Working with some of the best, but perhaps less famous, architects of the Motown Sound, like Henry Cosby, Clarence Paul, William Stevenson, James Dean and William Weatherspoon, Marv's silky vocals transformed good songs into great songs.

Norman Whitfield produced a stomping cover version of SAVE MY LOVE FOR A RAINY DAY, which I think is the best take of the oft-recorded song. Other previously unissued tracks include an impressive take on FAREWELL IS A LONELY SOUND which, like several other tracks, was recorded after Marv's huge UK hit.

From the liner notes we learn that Marv's storming Northern Soul classic I MISS YOU BABY (HOW I MISS YOU) - another UK chart hit for the man - was originally intended for The Marvelettes. Motown expert Keith Hughes has crafted an informative CD booklet, complete with his usual detailed track-by-track annotations. By the end of Marv's story, you may just feel a lump in your throat.

Marv co-composed five tracks on this collection. Perhaps his most famous writing credit is for The Dells' GIVE YOUR BABY A STANDING OVATION, a soul classic.

In later years, Marv toured the UK several times and he was as effervescent live as he was in the studio - a perfect entertainer. It's with enormous pleasure for me that the set ends with a thumping mono 45 version of the Frank Wilson produced YOU GOT THE LOVE I LOVE, one of my all-time favourite Motown dance records.

For Motown fans and collectors, this is essential.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marv Johnson-I'll Pick A Rose-The Complete Motown Recordings, 30 April 2011
Mr. J. L. Lester "John Lester" (London England) - See all my reviews
I am really pleased that Marv Johnson has finally secured a release of his classic Motown recordings. It's been a while since his last Motown album - too many to count unless you have more than 2 hands!

It consists of the (stereo) "I'll Pick A Rose For My Rose" LP released in the UK (STML 11111) and the earlier (mono) Gordy 45s plus "bonus tracks". The "bonus tracks" include a few that have been released previously but there are 5 new songs for me and I am so pleased that these are the CLASSIC MOTOWN that I had hoped for. Marv's version of "Farewell Is A Lonely Sound" stands alongside that from the great Jimmy Ruffin. It was fun trying to hear if Marv sings the title in "SOS (Girl In Distress)" and I am still trying! The song might be better known to some Northern Soul fans as "Hey La La".

The package is of the usual high standard expected from ACE and contains lots of information about Marv's time with Motown. A superb release and one that I am really pleased with. Thanks to all those that made it happen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great old Motown, 9 Jan 2014
I just love Motown and this is a super CD. Not enough is made of Marv Johnson and I seem to be turning more and more to older music, Motown, Northern Soul etc. as the charts no longer hold anything that I care to listen to. This is well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marv Johnson, 1 Oct 2013
this was a gift to my self, i just love mowtown, brings back lots of memories for me when i was younger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marv: gone but not forgotten..., 18 Mar 2013
Well worth the wait! The definitive legacy of Marv Johnson. Sadly now gone and and in an unmarked grave in Woodlawn Cemetery in Detroit. Scandal really...

4.0 out of 5 stars Some real gems, 11 Mar 2013
Been looking for one particular song to replace vinyl and found it, plus some unheard songs which are very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous Marv, 16 Sep 2011
Mr. K. G. Charmer (Torrevieja Spain) - See all my reviews
Seeing Marv perform in the UK in the early nineties supporting the Four Tops UK tour was a real treat. A great showman he was a joy to see on stage and exuded 'happiness'. This release captures that personality and this album remains one of Motown's best. Enough has been said by Eric re this release but buying it and listening to it will simply make you feel good. That is guaranteed. Thanks Marv.

5.0 out of 5 stars at long last, 29 April 2011
Dg Truby "Denis Truby" (Slough Berks) - See all my reviews
I have just ordered this today and I can't wait to receive it. I had the original album in 1969 and have never been able to replace it. Marv was the man whose hits made the money for Berry Gordy to Start Motown. If you love this look out for the Monitors Cd on Kent in June. If you love Motown buy this and make Motowns Forgotten Man remembered for his Motown Music. Marvellous.