on 18 June 2011
What is it with the funk/soul/jazz scene in the northeast these days? First there is Smoove & Turrell's superb 'Antique Soul' from a year or so ago, and now this album turns up with a fairly routine - but still intoxicating - variety of retro-jazz and soul. The nine tracks (not including the short intro) showcase a variety of styles - at different turns fast, slow, tight, loose and improvised - but there's some great hooks in there and hence you will probably find, like I have, that the album really grows on you. If you wanted to be sniffy I guess you could say it's all a little derivative, but then what isn't nowadays? The band has gone for a Reservoir Dogs image and at various points there are faint echoes of Miles Davis in the fruity horns and of Jim Hall in Nick Pride's jazz guitar. All three of the featured Geordie-lass vocalists excel but 'Waitin' So Long' (Jess Roberts) is definitely the album's standout moment. There are a couple of not-so-hot tracks but all told this is a very promising set and, who knows, if Craig Charles picks it up and gives it a good push on the F&SS this band might have a chance of a crossover breakthrough.

One other thing to say: If you still own a turntable then I recommend you get the vinyl LP before all the copies are snapped up by DJs. The 'feel' of the vinyl is top-notch and, I suspect, probably superior to the sound/response of the CD, although I haven't heard that.

A refreshing blast of energy and musical enthusiasm.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again