on 5 March 2013
I purchased this CTEK XS 0.8 charger to keep the starting battery of my car topped up as I don't use it all the time. I also have another CTEK charger of this size and a CTEK 5 Amp.

If your battery is in good condition the CTEK XS 0.8 is all you need for your car. Using it for charging flat batteries may be asking too much of this charger. I used the CTEK 5 Amp for this and monitored it.

This charger like all the other CTEK chargers is fully automatic and you can 'set and forget'. However I would advise that you monitor the charger during its first use (cycle) to ensure that it goes through all of its steps by illuminating all the LEDs on its way to the green one. The green one means that the charger has successfully gone through all of its steps and your battery/charger is now in the maintain mode

If the charger stops at one of the LEDs and will not progress to the next or green LED it may be that your battery needs to be replaced. For example the charger has determined that the battery will not hold the charge and will not progress pass the LED that indicates that the battery charger has determined battery will hold the charge.

After ten days the charger illuminates the next LED (after the green), which means that the charger is pulsing the battery as part of its maintenance program.

I will be interested to see if the use of this charger on a brand new battery I have, extends its life.
on 24 March 2012
After my other charger (Numax) started making my smaller 7ah sealed lead acid battery bubble and get warm I checked the voltage during bulk charge and it was putting out 14.7v!

Took it back and got one of these CTEK's instead and wow this thing is much better than my old charger. It has indicator LED's to show what stage in the charge it is at so you can get an idea how long is left to go. I put it on one of my 12v 7ah sealed lead acid battery's and checked how the charge progress was going every hour or so. There was no bubbling to be heard and the battery stayed nice and cool.

It took around 12 hours to charge a fully discharged 7ah 12v sealed lead acid battery (normally I would not run them down this far but it was put on a load test to make sure the other charger had not damaged it).

Overall I would recommend the XS 0.8 for smaller lead acids (the manual says it will bulk charge upto 32Ah and under), for the sealed types especially as its 6 step smart charging really helps when charging them.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 4 April 2013
not cheap, but the only charger I've ever found which actually restores abused car batteries and one can confidently leave connected for several days to keep the battery conditioned without overcharging it. previously have had some bad experiences with other big name multi-stage chargers which destroyed good batteries when left on in conditioning mode.
on 25 April 2013
This is my third CTEK charger, this one is fot my Land Rover. the other two are used on the car and the ride-on-mower. I have seen what cheaper versions do to battery's. I will stick to Ctec.
on 3 January 2013
This is brilliant product which oozes quality. I use this charger to keep the battery on my motorcycle fully charged during the winter months. It is very well made and I fully recommend it.
on 13 November 2013
charges my Land Rover and Vw Golf Diesel batteries with no effort. both are 72amp, it takes about a day to get through the cycles. it says up to 32 amp on the listing, to charge higher amps it just takes longer. fantastic quality item with many optional extras to buy if you wish.
on 14 October 2013
Comes with all connections and even a cloth bag to store it.

Shame it dosn't state in the ad that it doesn't charge car batterys but only bikes.
on 9 February 2013
I like it when something just feels right and this does. Using it to maintain my 2 Leisure Batteries over the winter and its doing it very well. The LED display is clear and simple to understand.
on 19 January 2016
Wanted a battery conditioner and needed a battery charger, ideally able to charge through an accessory socket* (due to poor access to the battery). Found this that is a reasonable ampage (0.8 means ~10W) that should be enough for a slow gentle charge as well as not stressing the accessory socket**.
Arrived neatly packaged with crocodile clips on a socket and fittings for a permanent battery connection to a similar socket. The charger unit then has an appropriate plug for charging via either these, or an (* optional) accessory / cigarette lighter plug. At the other end a UK mains plug is fitted.
The charger unit has LEDs to indicate progress and is fit-and-forget (with the caveat that it should not be left totally unattended - i.e. check on it regularly - when it is in charge mode rather than conditioning mode).
Also comes with a protective bag.

** Note that some accessory sockets will be switched by the ignition and might not work for this type of battery charger connection. In those cases you'll need to use the crocodile clips or direct connection socket instead.

Overall this looks like a very high quality piece of kit.
on 14 January 2015
My first order did not turn up , i called Amazon and they got a new delivery out to me within a couple of days - thanks amazon , good service .

good product which i have used for years , i have a couple of classic cars that spend most of thier time sitting about doing nothing , these are a fit and forget product that keeps the battery ready so i can jump in and start them when we finaly get a nice day ! couple of words of advice - they are only water resistant , frost and snow will get into them eventualy if you put them on an outside wall and the units don't last forever , mine seem to last 4 - 5 years and them expire , however its still cheaper than buying a new car battery every year . ( they also work on 12 v alarm batterys , next doors electric start lawn mower battery and will recharge a flat car battreys relativily quickly )