Published on 12 Sep 2008 by Leontine's Book Realm

3.0 out of 5 stars weakest book of series so far
I have read the whole series of psy-changeling books and always given them 5 stars but I found this to be the weakest book so far, as in there was too much netmind/council stuff going on, add to that Ashara's twin Amara's thoughts and there were whole chapters of the book that I admit to skim reading! Dorian was the saving element to the book as I felt no empathy to...
Published on 29 Sep 2009 by PD

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dorian and Ashaya's story is paranormal romance and so much more!, 12 Sep 2008
Repeatedly Nalini Singh has proved her amazing gift at writing with romance and action packed tales that keep you on the edge of your seat. I shouldn't be surprised anymore of this fact but once more I have read an outstanding story with HOSTAGE TO PLEASURE. I found myself embraced again in the DarkRiver pack that contains such treasured characters for me and they welcomed me back into the mesmerizing world of the Psy/Changelings.

The first page starts with a high-tale rescue of Keenan and it is the immediate connecting between Keenan and Dorian that paints such an endearing picture. Moreover, it ones again proves how protective Changelings are about their cubs or are of children. Dorian is one of those highly addictive Sentinels within the DarkRiver pack whom holds you spellbound from the first moment you meet him. Now, in HOSTAGE TO PLEASURE, it is his story that is told and he is re-acquainted with Ashaya, an M-Psy who harbors a few secrets that puts her in the direct path of Dorian. Both their pasts set up for conflict between them and from the moment they meet it causes verbal firework that made me gobble up the pages like it was my next fix of chocolate.

For me one of the things I love about Nalini Singh's writing is the seemingly impossible love between two people that makes the impact of their tale above and beyond. Ashaya and Dorian will both separately as well as together pull at your emotional strings, all your strings! May it be love, pride, endearment, fear and perhaps even anger. I experienced the whole rainbow of emotions as Dorian faces his past and Ashaya faces a difficult decision. Moreover, it is with skin privilege that Dorian dares Ashaya to take it a step further and though the passionate encounters are few it is not something that I overly missed. The intensity, but also the playful purring nature of Dorian as a Changeling, makes the eruption of build-up sensuous tensions all the more satisfactory.

With Ashaya being the leading M-Psy of a very important experiment the reader is being pulled deeper into the Psy world with The Council at its centre. And to my surprise I found out there's a new group in town and they are not going anywhere soon. Hidden in a cloak of mystery they already meddle with Council business and form a new threat for the Changeling packs. The plot thickens all around and served the overall story superbly as Psy keep up scheming and plotting which gives Dorian and Ashaya the necessary issues to work out. With enticing little tidbits of information at the start of each chapter various voices are heard and I enjoyed this extra addition to the story.

Of course there is a rich cast of secondary characters that makes you feel right at home. Kit is on the verge of becoming an adult but he still has that juvenile exuberance that makes him so endearing. Lucas, Sascha, Tammy and her cubs, Vaughn, Faith, Clay and his Tally, they all form a family with their own customs that makes me feel a part of this extraordinary pack. From the Psy Council to the DarkRiver and SnowRiver pack, they all add their unique voice to this novel and it creates a vibe that makes you want to return to it the moment you close this book.

HOSTAGE TO PLEASURE is another engrossing read, with another dynamic couple and it is another welcome addition to this much beloved series. Dorian and Ashaya's story is paranormal romance and so much more. Nalini Singh holds on to a level of intensity in her Psy-Changeling novels which makes it synonymous with breathtaking story telling!

On a last note: I feel that to experience the full impact of Dorian and Ashaya's story you should read this series in order: SLAVE TO SENSATION,- VISIONS OF HEAT,- CARESSED BY ICE and MINE TO POSSESS.

Reviewed by Leontine
Courtesy of Realms On Our Bookshelves

4.0 out of 5 stars Psy-Changeling book 5, 4 July 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have been wanting to read Dorian's story ever since I first started reading the Psy-Changeling series, he's such a fantastic character and I couldn't wait to delve deeper into his background. Dorian is a leopard changeling but due to a genetic anomaly he has never been able to shift into his animal form. That hasn't stopped him becoming a well respected and powerful DarkRiver Sentinel though and although he can't change he is still incredibly strong both physically and mentally. Not many people would want to cross DarkRiver's top sniper! Dorian has more reason than most of the Changelings to hate the Psy, his sister was the victim of a Psy serial killer and he has never got over the guilt he feels for not protecting her. The last thing he wants is to be saddled with protection duty for the Psy Ashaya and her son Keenan but he will do his duty for the sake of the pack.

What Dorian doesn't expect is for his inner leopard to feel so possessive over Ashaya. The attraction he feels towards her seems like a betrayal of his sister and he fights it all the way. In fact I was a little disappointed in the way that Dorian treated Ashaya at times, he is so determined not to accept her as his mate and it makes him treat her quite badly in the beginning. I'm used to Dorian being such a charmer and I missed that about him. Don't get me wrong, we do see him turn on the charm in this book too but for a long time it was directed at other female members of the pack rather than his mate. I could understand why he felt the way he did though and I enjoyed seeing him come to terms with his feelings and slowly open up to Ashaya.

Ashaya is quite different to the previous Psy heroines in the series, she isn't quite as cold as they were in the beginning and she's already shown how much she cares for her son by risking her life to free him from Psy clutches. She has a very good reason to keep a lid on her emotions though, not just because of the training she has received since birth but also because of the connection she has to her twin sister. Her relationship with Amara adds an interesting dimension to the story and I really had no idea how Nalini Singh would be able to resolve the issues between them so the story kept me on the edge of my seat.

I really liked the slow build of the relationship between Dorian and Ashaya but I think one of my favourite things about the book was both of their interactions with her son Keenan. He was such a cutie and I loved that Dorian immediately took the little boy under his wings, there was no way he would have let anything hurt Keenan - not even his mother! Ashaya has had to keep her distance from Keenan emotionally because if anyone realised how important he was to her it would paint a target on his back. Although she has spent years pretending not to care about him Keenan knows it is just an act and he understands how much she loves him. It was great to see the pair of them learning how to express their affection though and Dorian really helped them with that.

Hostage to Pleasure is another fantastic instalment to the series and I can't wait to carry on reading these books. Nalini Singh has quickly become a favourite author and without a doubt anything she writes is automatically going on my pre-order list (I don't pre-order books by many authors so that is high praise from me!).

5.0 out of 5 stars This Series Just Keeps Getting Better, 26 Mar 2011
Nalini Singh is one amazing author who manages to combine romance and action so easily. I find myself getting more and more involved as the stories go on and I just love the world that she writes about. I can't say a bad word about any of her books. Fantastic read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A read in one go book, 27 Aug 2008
S. Begum "Bookworm" (Manc UK) - See all my reviews
I have waited for Dorian book from the begin and the wait was well worth it. He was the character that your heart bled for in first book and his pain his anguish was there to be seen.

A year later his pain hasn't diminished and the "Boy Genius" is back with a vengeance, blazing across the pages. His relationship with Shaya is complicated but did we expect it to be any less?

I love hearing about the Pack interaction it's as normal as any large extended family only they have claws. The background story is getting more and more meatier as each book gets published.

I know I haven't critiqued the storyline, but why spoil the fun!!!
All I can say is that it was well worth my fiver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
love this series

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Hostage to Pleasure (Psy-Changeling Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
loved this book. you get to know the characters even more. and end up on the edge of your seat, hoping to read faster so you can find everything out. loved the ending it was perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this series ; ), 9 Jan 2014
As a huge fan of Ms Feehans' Dark Carpathians and J R Wards' Black Dagger Brotherhood i am always looking for an absorbing new series that grabs my attention and this one certainly did.
Not only did i thoroughly enjoy this book but i have since read and enjoyed the whole series that follows, i can give no greater recommendation than that.
I will not spoil the plot by writing spoilers etc but will say that the depth of the characters as they are introduced and the fact that each book follows on where the last left off builds the readers anticipation for the next book and story. Previous characters feature in subsequent books so its nice to keep up with them and further explore the ones that soon become favorites. I would highly recommend this book and the whole series to any fan of the fantasy genre especially anyone who , like me, has always enjoyed Ms Feehan and Ms Wards characters, stories and worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 11 Nov 2013
I love this series, Nalini Singh is such a great author. She creates such wonderful worlds and I can't wait for the next book in the series..

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on!, 14 Sep 2013
If you are someone who enjoys well-written erotica novels, this is the series for you! Singh captures sexual tension better than anyone I've ever read. In my humble opinion, it's less of a challenge to write an explicit sex scene on every third page as opposed to getting your reader involved in the characters, their demons, their triggers, their fuels... In reality society finds safety in separating our sexual cores from who we are, pigeon-holing individuals as A sexual, nymphos, sluts, players, frigids. Singh succeeds to present characters who embrace themselves as a whole and presents it in an 'acceptable' package using clever vehicles : an emotionless race, an animal-rich race and the human race at its flawed best. I guarantee you will not be able to put these books down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hostage to Pleasure, 30 Aug 2013
One of my favour authors who in my opinion is just a wonderful writer. This series of books are just great.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›