on 14 May 2008
I bought this book because I had enjoyed other sailing books such as that written by Derek Lundy (Godforsaken Sea) and Rob Mundle (Fatal Storm). Dee's book certainly lived up to my expectations of what a sailing book should be about. Not only that but it is more than an account of her, nevertheless amazing, trip westwards around the world against the prevailing winds. But she also explained about her motivations in life and how she became involved in sailing initially. This is interesting, as it is always helpful to a reader to have an idea of what a person's motivation for doing things is; the book has more meaning as a result.

Regarding the journey itself, I think she covers it in the right amount of detail and focuses on the difficulties of the Southern Ocean. For a reader this is probably the most interesting part of the difficult journey, due to the multiple constant threats she and the yacht faced. I see that Dee is to be a contestant in the 2008 Vendee round the world solo race and I'll certainly be watching her progress right from the start in November.

Some diagrams explaining some of the nautical manoeuvres would be welcomed but other than that this book is difficult to criticise in any real way
on 13 October 2007
Dee Caffari is somehow a remarkable 'ordinary' human being who has the ability and determination to achieve the extraordinary. If you want to inspire and change someone's life buy this book for them for Christmas and let them enter the New Year feeling positive and upbeat. Whatever you do don't give them your copy!

Highs and lows appear in plenty, as do challenges and insights on how to turn things around to succeed. Even if your experience afloat extends to a pedalo - this is a great read and great inspiration about ambition, determination, achievement and teamwork.
on 7 September 2009
I'm a huge fan of nautical adventure especially where it involves a single-handed sailor facing the worst that nature can throw at them. I love the classic Joshua Slocum account of his 3 year journey around the planet in a self-built sloop. Roger D Taylor's tales of his dramatic shipwreck in New Zealand and his vivid description of his single-handed crossing of the Tasmin Sea in a tiny home made ferroconcrete boat had me holding my breath as I turned the pages.

Dee Caffari's single-handed exploits are no less impressive but somehow they lack the romance and drama of her predecessors. I don't think it's the fact that solo circumnavigations have now been done many times by various individuals in both directions that makes Dee's achievement less interesting. Perhaps it was the commercial aspects of the endeavour that made the project less attractive or the competitive nature of both Dee and the other individuals involved that made the voyage seem more like it was taking place on a trading room floor rather than the wild open oceans. Whatever it was, this book left me hoping that each new page would hold at least one paragraphh of excitement on it - sadly, it did not.

Dee's book would no doubt provide inspiration for other women who dream of taking on some kind of major challenge in their lives but the wider audience should look elsewhere. Thankfully, I only paid a penny for a brand new copy of the book - Oxfam should at least get 10 pence for it...!
on 17 October 2007
Refreshingly honest, beautifully written and put together, and altogether superior to most of the autobiographical work I have seen. It was moving, inspiring and entertaining in equal measure. It really brought back vividly the days of logging on anxiously to the website to see how Dee was doing. Unreservedly recommended.
on 6 September 2007
We've all seen and heard about round-the-world sailors before, but Dee is different. She sailed against the winds and tides, becoming the only woman ever to achieve this remarkable feat of endurance. I doubt whether any other journey requires so much strength of character and skill. This book should be required reading for anyone who thinks "I wonder if I could do something remarkable?" Having seen one of her speeches, I can confirm that Dee is down-to-earth and "ordinary" (in the nicest possible way), but "dared to dream". Well done to her - and if you want to achieve something you think is too difficult - read this book first.
on 28 December 2008
This kept my attention from the first page. What Dee achieved is truly amazing - sailing round the world against the prevailing wind. But this is more than a story about an amazing feat, it is also about the courage and determination that she showed in changing her life. Which saw her going from a teacher with a good safe job with little sailing experience - to an accomplished yachtswoman having sailed twice round the world and all in just 6 years. She tells the story with an amazing honesty which gives you a real insight into her journey.
on 19 September 2012
I brought this book as it was recommended to me when I was experiencing an exciting days racing at Co. I am going to be a crew memberas a novice on the Clipper 13/14 Round the World Challenge. This book is absolutly brilliant. I read it in two days as it was hard to put down. Dee Caffari is a truly inspirational women and to do what she has done single handed really enspires me that if you want to do something do it. I would recommend this book to anyone. Words can not describe what a briliant read it is.
on 6 November 2009
I have only dipped in as I wanted a book for a long flight. This looks like the one. The bits I have read enthrall me so if it is all the same it will be fantastic.
I am of course talking about "Against the Flow" the story of the first woman to sail solo the wrong way around the world.
on 21 August 2010
this is a most inspiring tale although many times whilst reading it I wondered why Dee Cafferty had even thought it might be a good idea. But I couldn't put it down and anyone who sails or races a boat will love this.

No problems with delivery.
on 20 October 2013
Also made me convinced that a solitary existence, albeit of only a few months, wouldn't appeal to me. Great courage and skill demonstrated and I take my hate off to Dee. It was certainly worth the read.