4.0 out of 5 stars Hi Tec Penrith
I bought these because they were at a bargain price but also because I was interested in having a walking shoe so as not to have to put on my excellent Scarpa boots for family walks here in Surrey, England.

Published on 15 Aug. 2011 by ACS

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good afterall
The shoes look good but have 2 problems:
1. They are a little larger than the size they claim to be; I always wear UK10 (EURO44) but in this case they were too large for me.
2. The shoes are too warm and makes the feet sweat. So if you are thinking to walk with them, it better be in the winter!
Published on 16 Aug. 2011 by AJ

4.0 out of 5 stars Hi Tec Penrith, 15 Aug. 2011
ACS (Godalming) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Peaks By Hi-Tec Men's Penrith Wp Walking Shoe (Apparel)

I was a bit concerned initially because I had bought them for the price but they have turned out to be instantly comfortable and ideal for family walking in the Surrey Hills. I will leave my boots now for the longer treks and when carrying a backpack.

The shoes seem to have plenty of grip and look and feel good. They provide an ideal kit solution between home shoes and walking boots.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lightweights?, 30 Sept. 2011
Mike France (SW France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My expectations of these shoes were fairly low but at the price, they were a gift. Much to my surprise however they are very comfortable, accomodate my broad feet with ease and seem to be well made. Also, walking through wet grass, the claim for waterproofing appears to hold up.

They are a lightweight, summer shoe. The grip seems fine though I have not experienced wet rock yet, but you can feel the ground through the sole. Still if they only last a season, they will be good value and are a pleasure to wear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, but not really a Walking Shoe, 20 April 2012
I would describe this product as a heavy-duty trainer. It's light and comfortable and looks better, IMHO, than a trainer; and at the online price, I think it is good value (my local outdoor shop offers it at exactly double the online price, which would be a rip-off). The seam between the sole and the upper is rubberised, and is probably waterproof, but I wouldn't be surprised to get wet feet if water came above the rubber. The sole is too thin, and the upper too flexible, to offer any kind of protection or support in rough terrain.

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality shoes at a very affordable price, 19 Aug. 2011
Shoes look great, very light and comfy. Did not test the water resistance by now, but I don`t believe I`ll need it that much. Nice to know about it though.

4.0 out of 5 stars lightweight, 12 Sept. 2011
This is fine if you want a lightweight, comfortable shoe. The sole isn't really heavy duty enough for stony or rocky paths. They seem pretty waterproof and, for the price, are an excellent casual walking shoe. I wouldn't wear them for a long/arduous hike.

4.0 out of 5 stars 50 Peaks Hi-Tec Shoe, 7 Aug. 2011
Robust and comfortable. I have been impressed by this shoe, which seems well-suited to low-level walking as well as general leisure use.

1.0 out of 5 stars If only zero stars were available, 26 Sept. 2013
D. Burgess (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 50 Peaks By Hi-Tec Men's Penrith Wp Walking Shoe (Apparel)
I purchased a pair of these, albeit not through Amazon, at the start of June and by 27th September they are destined for the bin. Very very poor, even if they weren't hugely expensive.

The 'use' that I have subjected them to has been daily walking of my two hounds around the local playing fields - a combination of cricket, football & rugby pitches - so not exactly the Steppes, and yet already the outer has started to delaminate & every pebble can be felt through the sole. As for the alleged waterproof qualities - ha! My feet would have got no wetter in just my socks.

As you can tell I'm not impressed so I'm sorry Hitec, but it's back to Merrell for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish soles spoil these shoes....., 21 Jan. 2012
This review is from: 50 Peaks By Hi-Tec Men's Penrith Wp Walking Shoe (Apparel)
Having read the rave reviews for the 50 peaks hi-tec shoes,I was expecting a good all round walking shoe. After only a month of wear the soles are weak,pliable, and offer no protection for your feet.Every stone is felt straight through to your soles ,and because there so flimsy the water protection completely disappears as water just goes straight into the soles like a sponge. Very poor shoe and should not be listed as walking shoe, Okay for the gym and that's about it. IMO.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looked well made but wrong sizing on the shoe., 2 Oct. 2011
Peter Cowburn (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
As with Amazon it arrived quickly and was or appeared to be, a good quality product but although marked as a UK size 11 it actually fitted a UK size 10 quite well. Wrong size so i had to send them back but i would have been happy to keep them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good afterall, 16 Aug. 2011