5.0 out of 5 stars Classy album, 23 Mar 2011
Ms S. Cartwright "Sue Cartwright" (Stourbridge, West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
The orchestrations on this recording are sublime, the choice of songs perfect and Wynne's voice so beautiful. As well as the power one would expect from an opera singer, Wynne's voice has a gentleness to it which melts the heart. E Lucevan Le Stelle is amazing and enough to make a grown man cry - I know that because it brought a tear to the eye of my husband! It is a beautiful cd, one to play loudly in the car but also one to play quietly whilst relaxing on the sofa with a glass of wine in hand. A very classy cd indeed. Pure quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, 24 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
This is a great CD. Unlike some of the other 'opera singers' doing the rounds, this bloke is a real singer and it shows! His voice is so powerful, yet sensitively used! Excellent orchestral arrangements and the voice is well recorded!
This is a lovely collection. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars If music makes you happy, then this will, 16 April 2011
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
Wynne Evans has headed the lists of the most hated man in television adverts. He is the vocalist with the curly moustaches and in your face delivery.

Apart from obviously having quite a sense of humour he is also, away from selling a website, a magical professional tenor vocalist produced from years of study and training.

In an interview, Wynne Evans paid tribute to the late, great Mario Lanza and made no bones about the fact most of the tracks on this CD were previously recorded by Lanza. So what's the difference?

Quite a big one. Lanza had a harder, more diamond edged vocal mitigated by a warm, smoky accent. Wynne Evans, by contrast, is as precise as Lanza but with more characterisation allied to the lyric content and a sweeter tone. You get the sense with each song he instantly drops into the rôle. Two tracks, one following the other illustrate this well. The first, 'E lucevan le stelle' from 'Tosca', is frankly, beautiful. The vocal acting is quite different. Lanza sings from the torment of Cavaradossi's anguish; Evans from the same but with a more convincing gentleness in the Tosca 'moments'. The following track is a medley of 'Core Ingratio' and 'Torna a Surriento'- the ice cream songs as they've come to be known, particularly in reference to Pavarotti's concerts. In these, Evans is every bit Lanza's equal and these renditions earn their place on this CD. I think the greatest contrast between Lanza and Evans is that Evans is by far the better vocal actor. That isn't to say if Lanza were around today this would be so. Standards were very different when Lanza was recording. There were 'concert' voices and 'opera stage' voices and one of the reasons opera got such a bad press was the acting skills didn't match the sublime vocal ones.

In fact, there isn't a single track on this CD that won't please. My favourite, partly because it's rare to hear a male vocalist take it on these days, is 'Over There'. Fans of James Cagney's portrayal of George M. Cohan will remember he wrote this during World War I when the US army joined Britain's war against the Kaiser. Within months it was the most popular song at the music halls usually sung by a winsome beauty.

Wynne Evans' version has wonderful diction, is deeply evocative creating a real sense of the atmosphere of the old music halls plus an enthusiastic backing choir. It's fun and its inclusion works well with the more earnest tracks such as 'Ave Maria' and 'The Lord's Prayer'.

I would like to hear much more, for instance, Giordano's 'André Chénier', or Leoncavallo's 'Pagliacci'. In the meantime I've no hesitation at all in recommending this collection. It is 'easy listening', but the best kind to be had.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, pulls at the heart strings, pure talent., 31 Mar 2011
D. C. Franks - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
This guy has the most beautiful voice I have heard since Mario Lanza who I adored. But this guy I think just beats mario because the recordings are much better for a start plus the emotion in the voice. Listening to him I can honestly say brought tears to my eyes. This guy is pure genius with his singing. Is he married? lol .... I could marry him just for his voice. Beautiful, wonderful, can't think of enough great words to describe this guy's voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I can say is "WOW.", 2 Jun 2011
Mr. John R. Dwyer "Johnny O'Dwyer" (Wexford, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
Like most of the reviewers, my first introduction to Wynne Evans was via the Gocompare commercial. The character is ludicrous (he is of course intended to be), but it was immediately obvious to me that the voice was something else. Later on he was interviewed on RTÉ Lyric FM and was revealed as a Welshman with a warm sense of humour and as I suspected, a truly fabulous voice. I have to say at this point that the tenor voice has never held very much appeal for me, partly due to over-exposure on radio of such numbers as "O Sole Mio" and "La Donna e Mobile." Mr. Evans has changed all that. After listening to the radio interview I looked him up on Amazon and discovered his debut album "A song in my Heart." The sample tracks on the Amazon website are a great help in listening to a preview of the numbers on the disc. His singing seems effortless, including those incredible top Cs. This apparent ease is of course the mark of all truly great performers. That's it - I was bowled over and could not wait to order. What a production this is, with a whole variety of different numbers and beautifully arranged orchestral backing. The disc now has a home in the CD player of my car and is a wonderful accompaniment to my every journey. Give us more!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Loveliest CD Of The Year, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
Wonderful songs, beautifully sung. An added bonus - the notes reveal a grounded family man, young enough to enjoy this well-deserved success and old enough not to be carried away by it. His Mother would have been proud. If you only buy one CD this year then make it this one. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastico!, 27 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
This is a fabulous album - food for the soul from a heavenly West Wales voice. The arrangements give a cinematic feel to this album which compliments beautifully one of the finest Tenors on the planet. Llongyfarchiadau!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 23 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
What fantastic singing!! At last- an honest CD with a real opera singer as opposed to some over-marketed hopeful from a talent contest. Absolutely beautifully sung- my girlfriend (and I) have listened to it 4 times already.
Can't recommend enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Popular' music - a new dimension, 5 Jun 2011
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
A refreshing collection of ever popular and serious music. An excellent addition to anyone's collection. Ideal for a relaxing hour's listening. Good value too!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Go Compare man!, 19 May 2011
Ginni (North Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Song In My Heart (Audio CD)
Yes - believe it or not - this is the Welshman behind the moustache in the GoCompare ad. In "real life" he has a fine gentle voice and this is an enjoyable collection of old favourites.

A Song In My Heart