5.0 out of 5 stars a rare treat
I think this is one of Lloyd Cole's finest albums to date, standing alongside Love Story, Rattlesnakes and Mainstream.
If you were a big fan of the 90's, long haired, rock version of LC..then you may find this albumn a bit too tame. But stick with it for a couple of listens, and I think you will find it growing on you.
I personally don't think there is a bad...
Published on 25 Jan 2004 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars May we have the old Lloyd Cole back please?
Lloyd Cole, writer of some the finest songs of the late '80s and early '90s started to fade away sometime in the mid '90s. Gone are the days of steely, hard edged guitars and literary refernces; in are soft acoustic guitars and introspective songs about American cities and personal relationships.
Years ago, in songs like 2CV, Cole showed he was capable of carrying...
Published on 22 Aug 2003 by DiBosco

5.0 out of 5 stars a rare treat, 25 Jan 2004
I personally don't think there is a bad track on the albumn, but
My Other Life, and Shelf Life deserve special mention.
LC's vocal range has always been distinctive but limited in range. But on this albumn he blends his volcals perfectly with each track.
What's really nice about this albumn is the simple, home made quality to the production of the tracks.
This minimalist approach has really worked, allowing the songs to really shine through.
This really does deserve to be a quiet success.
I'd be surprised if I listen to anything quite as good this year.
Andrew

5.0 out of 5 stars A step forward (hopefully), 29 Dec 2003
Eduardo (Madrid Spain) - See all my reviews
I have found a simple rule to assess Lloyd Cole's albums: the harder he tries to rock the worse the outcome ("Bad Vibes" being therefore his worst offering ever). After listening to "Music in a Foreign Language", it would seem he has finally given up trying to be a rocker. The album is full of delicate pop songs that highlight all the strengths of previous Lloyd Cole's recordings (ironic and intelligent lyrics together with classic, if simple, arrangements). A great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars best ever album, 18 Nov 2003
s (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
A great record. Lloyd Cole had ditched all the glitzy production of his recent recordings and stripped it down to acoustic guitars and some very light programming. The result is a very laid back, understated and mellow yet modern and uplifting record that is a sheer joy to listen to -- so much so that I found this record had me the first time I listened to it. The title track, "Cutting out", "Brazil" and "People ain't no good" (a Nick Cave cover) stand out, but there is not a poor track on the whole album. His singing is excellent. His writing is as witty and introspective as ever. I really think this is his best album yet -- as if he has finally discovered a production style he likes and has put out the album that he wanted to make as a singer-songwriter, free of the demands of the record company who wanted him to be a top-selling pop-rocker. Some fans may see this as a return to form. I think it is more of a case of him finally finding it. An excellent record, and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mid-life crisis continued...., 1 July 2003
Paul Midgley "TenDown" (Leyland, Lancashire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have just been to see Lloyd in concert at the Comedy Store Manchester with a raft of his old college mates. The concert was an excellent advertisement for the new album - or would have been if we hadn't already been and got it! If anything, some of the tracks sounded even better live, especially My Other Life, and My Alibi. Lloyd joked about all his songs since the mid 80's being about mid-life crisis. Well now that we are all 42 the relevance may be more meaningful, but there's a poignancy about this album that sounds great on CD and outstanding on stage. Comments I heard after the gig were - "Outstanding musicianship," "Brilliantly crafted songs," - and, hey, its all here on this album. Buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Change of direction for Lloyd?, 29 July 2006
I bought this album on it's release in the UK and on the back of adoring the previous albums: The Negatives (our Honeymoon album travelling around New England - my wife can still sing along to every track despite claiming to hate Lloyd's music!)and Love Story (an unexpected gem as far as I was concerned). I have to say that I played this CD and really was disappointed - I just didn't get it.

A few years down the line and with most of my CD collection now on my MP3 player - it is very easy to revisit old albums. This CD I played again whilst wandering the New Forest in the sunshine - it is now played regularly. Whilst his previous two albums were play out loud - this one, for me at least, seems to work best through headphones. The music has an insular feel and headphones add to this vibe.

This album, for fans of Lloyd may at first feel disappointing, if you were expecting more of the same. Take another listen - it may well surprise you - it certainly did me. Perhaps the music reflects not the era of the recording, but the mood of the artist and can only be appreciated when the listener is in the same place in life?

5.0 out of 5 stars A TIMELESS TREAT, 1 Mar 2005
Mr. C. J. Waldron "mhsob" (UK & Australia) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful album. The strongest collection by Lloyd Cole ever. The laid back intimacy of each song demonstrates that the way Lloyd Cole has put this cd together is the way forward. Because each track is so strong and individual, you just never tire of listening. Paul Buchanan(Blue Nile) and Lloyd Cole are trully in a class of their own. There's no point highlighting any particular song as each one is gorgeous. I know I'll still be listening to this cd in 20 years time and enjoying it even more. Just like Rattlesnakes, a timeless classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Treat, 16 Jun 2003
By A Customer
Taking its title from a moody intellectual thriller novel by Andrew Crumey, Cole's latest album shows a similarly thoughtful take on life. There is a sense of maturity and vision here that makes this album a truly memorable and haunting musical experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 20 Jun 2003
MARK DOYLE (TUNBRIDGE WELLS, KENT United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I saw Lloyd live last year when he performed a solo acoustic set. It was a fantastic night and he has now put this beautiful style onto his latest album.
This album has a georgeous laid back sound and sincere thoughtful lyrics about love and life. I stongly believe this is Lloyd's best album since his days with the Commotions and I thoroughly reccommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 10 July 2007
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Lloyd Cole knows how to craft a song & this album is a collection of truly excellent recordings. This album as a whole is a grower, it needs a couple of listens to appreciate how good it is. Lloyd is a marvellous songwriter & this album showcases the talent he has, in spades.
For me , the standout songs are the title track & People Ain't No Good but the whole record is marvellous.
A record to relax with. Go on, get the vino out, put this on & wind down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 22 Aug 2006
This album sums up all that is great about the man. I was a great fan of the early llyod cole & commotions albums, but lost my way somewhere along his solo career, excepting the excellent "don't get weird on me babe" of course... This is a return to form; magnificent music for that time when you're able to listen closely, and great for all those other times when it catches you unaware too. Now I'm off to discover what I might have missed in the album or two before this. If you like intelligent, articulate lyrics coupled with stirring and subtle music, Buy This.....