Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.93

on 2 November 2004
I first listened to Motion while browsing a CD store in Brighton some years ago. I was completely, utterly bowled over and I knew I had to have this CD. There is certainly something cinematic about this music - it suggest familiar images from film noir territory. In my opinion, in terms of sheer mood impact "Motion" is up there with Miles Davis' minor masterpiece "Ascenseur pour l' Echafaud". "Motion" is an extraordinary CD, what with the perfect musicianship or the added detail of a cryptic sleeve that discloses very little about the band behind it. If you like brooding, late-night jazz with a whiff of dark foreboding then this is your ticket.
on 9 June 2002
I was introduced to the Cinematic Orchestra's albums out of unison. I first bought The Remixes ,then recently Everyday which I found superb and so recently I bought the debut Motion. For Motion lacking the more melodic sound of the mellower new masterpiece Everyday . Motion is dark through out. The whole album oozes 1950's smoky bass lines sassy horns and percussions, with snippetts of stylish jazzy vocals that resemble Simone on the dangerous sleazy opener Durian. Channell 1 suit is completely out of charecter being more of a club orientaded track from the rest of this straigt contempory jazz set which flows along with echoes heavilly of John Coltrane and Miles Davis. Forget the comercial compilation chill out albums for winding down. This album is a seious late night lounger, for the post club post party crowd to see in the dawn. The whole sound is dark and moody, and the tempoe remains as late night down beats. Another winner from the Cinematic Orchestra.
on 13 September 2008
I was a bit dismayed to read some of the reviews pushing this as great jazz, mainly because I have a large collection of jazz (both old and new) and this is probably the least likely thing I've got that falls into that genre. It feels overly repetitive, with the occasional high point - but they are too few to make it anything more than OK. It breaks no new ground, sounds quite derivative, but three stars for the quality of recording & it is well put together. But if you consider this to be great jazz you need to listen to more and cast your net wider.
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2005
In my own humble opinion, this is the greatest jazz album ever released. That's a pretty bold statement when there are albums like Miles Davis' 'Kind Of Blue' or John Coltrane's 'A Love Supreme', but I stand by it. It isn't your usual jazz album where the whole group comes together and records a session. Instead, band 'leader' Joe Swinscoe sampled each of the other members and then arranged them all to produce 7 stunning tracks.
A dark mood pervades most of the pieces- 'Channel One Suite' and 'Night Of The Iguana' in particular. However, there are moments of a lighter nature, namely 'Ode To The Big Sea' and 'And Relax!'.
In conclusion: It's jazz, and it's very, very good jazz. You jazz can't listen to 'Channel One Suite' without thinking "WOw, this is amazing!". Get it, play it, and relax!
on 4 April 2012
OK, so I don't know much about The Cinematic Orchestra... I bought Ma Fleur a year or so back and loved it so after reading that people really rated "Motion" and compared it to "Kind of Blue" I thought I'd give it a whirl. Oh dear. Parts of the album are mellow enough with the use of muted trumpet etc to get a feel of Miles Davis I suppose but the whole album is suffused with great swathes of samples and loops in the best 1999 style .By track 4 it all started to grate and irritate as far as I am concerned ( I appreciate that I am probably in a minority here but hey, its only my opinion) . Either way, not what I was expecting after "Ma Fleur" .. I've listened to Motion twice and sadly cant see what the fuss is all about and have no desire to listen to it again. To compare the album with Kind of Blue is just absurd. This one is on its way to the charity shop ....
on 7 September 2010
Yes, lots of rave reviews for this one, but I'm with the other two 3 star reviewers on this one. The samples are good and carefully chosen (and the overall sound quality is excellent) but it's what you do with them that counts. There is just nothing new happening here. The tracks unfold slowly and set a are dark mood but then so do many 'real' jazz albums. If you want good jazz samples with far more urgency and imagination then check out Clifford Gilberto on Ninjatune, otherwise soundcheck the real thing; with Miles being a good place to start.
In the meantime a Luke Vibert remix would be good to hear.
on 26 November 2008
I agree with most of the reviewers comments - dark, smokey, jass/fusion etc. etc. I would suggest that anyone who enjoys works from early Soft Machine (first to fifth), Ian Carr's Nucleus, Isotope to Angelo Badalamenti's Fire Walk With Me should give this album a listen.
on 4 October 2006
I had heard the track "Channel One Suite" before (on Solid Steel) but I never knew what it was, so it was a nice surprise to find it on here. It's an accessible tune, but is nice and complicated. Some of the other tracks are a bit inaccessible, others are really brilliant. Lovely drums, nice and loud and gritty. "Night of the Iguana" is a real classic, meandering drums, evocative and atmospheric strings. Sometimes I find the odd time signatures a bit confusing and jarring though, and it makes it harder to keep up and appreciate the atmospheres being created. Mixed bag for me.
on 2 June 2000
This is a masterpiece of modern jazz music with every track leaving it,s mark.The 2 that stand for me are "ode to the big sea" and "channel 1" suite.J Swinscoe is a genius and if you enjoy this album try tracking down the remixes of Faze Action and Krust by them, he carries on the incredible standard of his unique,brillant sound.
on 26 April 2000
For the JAZZ fans it may be an akward CD. For THE TRIP-HOP fans this is where everything starts from. For Those who have listened to Miles Davis and Panthalassa this is a mixture of chilled Fussion-Bass Grooves with fragments of heavy-bass FUNK and premetive TRIP-HOP. NINJA TUNES prooves itself once more.