5.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy loft ladder
I'm getting a bit older these days, and finding balancing myself on the top of a set of step ladders while I make sum sorta leap into the attic, hauling my now larger figure somewhat up by my arms is a bit of a trial, hence investing in a loft ladder...

Published on 17 Oct 2012 by Maffysdad

3.0 out of 5 stars Loft Ladder
It is of the minimum construction required to be a ladder and fits the purpose for occasional use as i dont think it would last with regular usage without something failing.
Published 22 months ago by Ronald D Bayton

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice easy loft ladder, 17 Oct 2012
This review is from: Arrow 2 Section Loft Ladder (DIY & Tools)

It arrived within 48hrs in clear shrink wrap, fairly well sealed, one hole where a hand had gone through to make carrying easier, but the extra bits were sealed in a bag taped to the ladder elsewhere. I had it delivered to my parents and found collecting it easy owing to how very light it is. It fitted in my Renault Scenic easily as it is about 4ft 5in in length.

I read the instructions, counted the screws and other bits. You find one screw left over who's size isn't mentioned, this fits the handle, else wise the instructions are very clear.

I decided before altering my attic door I would fit the ladder first, then do the door after in reverse of the instructions, since not only does this make fitting the door easier as you'll by then have a stable ladder platform to work from, but I can then choose the size of opening I want according to the angle the ladder best suits my floor to ceiling at, and I'm glad I did it this way as it makes work much easier then using step ladders.

The stow guide is a nice feature, saves having to force the ladder from stow or back to stow, unlike my parents loft ladder which clunks going up or drops like a missile coming down.
The two clips that lock the ladder sections must be engaged correctly for safe function.
The loft door catches are a little gem of a idea being built into the hook, as is the hint on using very light wood for the loft door.

I purchased from a DIY store for £10 a sheet of 3mm ply and sum 18x18mm batten to add a touch of strength to the ply's surrounding edge and added sum insulation, increased the loft opening by 300mm so I didn't hit my back, before cutting into the ceiling, and I now have much improved access.
I used another series of 18x18mm batten around the inside of the loft hatch placed 20mm higher and sum sticky backed door drought excluder foam type stuff to create a seal so the door was practically air tight. I was lucky in I was able to salvage the original surround and matched the contour up at the DIY store. A few extra nails, screws etc, offered up the door, screwed the hinges, fitted the catch and its components etc and it was all done in a very short time. Just a bit of painting to do now.

It is a suitable job for many DIY competent person, if you can fit a flat pack together then you should be able to do the basics of this providing your initial support where your ladder will attach to is weight baring, however increasing the size of your loft door may need professional advice.

Worth the money? Yeah... no whistles and bells, but it does the job well enough.
Functional? Yep, totally. Light enough ladder for even a petite frame and nice long pole with hook.
Safe? Yea, if you follow the instructions. I feel much safer then on step ladder!
Bad points? Its a little noisy in the slide action due to not being a ball-race expensive model. it doesn't effect it functionally however, just bit scrapey.
Buy again/more? Yes, happily...

Hope my review helps you in some way...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money., 8 Jun 2012
This review is from: Arrow 2 Section Loft Ladder (DIY & Tools)
So much choice with loft ladders, so I decided I'd go with the cheapest. Very happy with the product. Very easy to fit. The hardest part is preparing your loft hatch, which you'd need to do for any loft ladder. The instructions are clear and logical - I followed them closely and the ladder works perfectly. It's pretty solid and very easy to use. It comes with hinges, hatch catch, and loft pole - so all the parts to convert your old hatch. Also, must add, when delivered it had lost a plastic foot-end. There's a number in the instructions to call for any replacement parts. I spoke to them and received a replacement in the post the next day. Excellent value for money and an excellent company to deal with. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great item, 1 Feb 2013
This review is from: Arrow 2 Section Loft Ladder (DIY & Tools)
my wife saw these in another house and used them so when she came home she told me to order a set for our house. glad i did as she can now get into the atic instead of me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Arrow 2 Section Loft Ladder (DIY & Tools)
Finally decided to get a loft ladder after years of balancing on top of step ladders to retrieve suitcases and christmas decorations every year. Looked in usual places and then saw this for the much lower price of £35 (at the time). Further research established that it was exactly the same as those sold by B&Q, Homebase, etc for £10-15 more. It was out-of-stock but once I placed the order I got an email not too long afterwards advising that delivery would be made.

I have now fitted it which didn't take long and I don't consider myself as any kind of DIY expert. The most fiddly bit was marking and fixing the hinges because you have these ladders in place and I was standing on step ladders. With hindsight, you could pre-mark and drill the screw holes with just the hinges before you put them on the ladder.

I haven't fitted the hatch assembly yet so can't comment on how easy that is.

So far, they seem very good in operation and I would certainly recommend them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 1 April 2013
This review is from: Arrow 2 Section Loft Ladder (DIY & Tools)
Very pleased - excellent price, easy to install, came with all necessary parts (except loft hatch - of course) would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars just what we needed, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Arrow 2 Section Loft Ladder (DIY & Tools)
My husband is 18st and finds it to be much sturdier than he expected. They are perfect for occasional use anyway :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, 13 Mar 2013
This review is from: Arrow 2 Section Loft Ladder (DIY & Tools)
The ladder was easy to fit, robust in use and fits through a relatively small loft hatch. Add to that the customary rapid Amazon service and I'm well satisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars loft ladders, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Arrow 2 Section Loft Ladder (DIY & Tools)
value for money easy to install the delivery of the item was very quick and i did not want to pay a lot of money for this item as i only go in the loft about half a dozen times a year so i would recommend this item for this reason

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, 6 Jan 2013
This review is from: Arrow 2 Section Loft Ladder (DIY & Tools)
Very quick delivery, and for a ladder does what it says on the tin, well built and no problems, good value for money i'd say.

3.0 out of 5 stars Loft Ladder, 16 Dec 2012