5.0 out of 5 stars OK actually
Not a literary review person, but just wanted to say I quite enjoyed it. I liked the character of Ellen. She is a plucky lady. Would be more than happy to read other stuff from same author.
Published on 19 Dec 2011 by Mrs. Rosemary A. Franks

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great read.
I can see where the author was trying to go with this good, a plucky heroine who has a dream that she wishes to fulfil, namely becoming a sword smith, a dream that she cannot fulfil due to her gender.

Published on 27 Nov 2011 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great read., 27 Nov 2011
Amazon Customer "Fiona" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It should be a winner. Strong female lead, historical setting. But it all falls flat, the book contains cliché after cliché, The wicked lord who does her wrong, the flight from danger, the good man who she ends up with.

I found some parts of the plot to be trite and over done. I did manage to read it but I did not enjoy it, which is strange as I am a historical fiction fan. This one was a miss for me

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but ok, 10 Feb 2012
Paula Woods "paulawoods2" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I struggled with this book. The heroine is a plucky lady, but that was about all. I felt it was far too long and dragged in a lot of places. It just seemed that the author lost her way in places. Not my favourite I am afraid. Also the font in the book was far too small, hence the reason a kindle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too soap operish, 10 April 2013
This review is from: The Copper Sign (Kindle Edition)
Just seemed too predictable with quite unnecessary sex scenes introduced, presumably to titillate the reader. Never got to the end - gave up in frustration.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but lacking substance, 11 May 2012
Cath B - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a bit of an epic and centres around a girl, who disguises herself as a boy to train as a blacksmith/swordsmith. It tries to evoke the spirit of Ken Follet (in Pillars of the Earth) but is just too unbelievable. I enjoyed it, but there were points at which I just got frustrated with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hum-drum Historical with Swords, 2 Feb 2012
Book Gannet (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a young girl Ellenweore loved working in her father's smithy - and frequently wished she'd been born a boy. So when she's forced to leave home that's what she does, disguising herself in order to become a smith's apprentice. A new master and a move to Normandy not only hones Ellen/Alan's skills, but also tempers her ambition - to forge a sword for the king.

But Ellen faces a hard road ahead, filled with love, loss and knights both wicked and beloved. If it's hard for a woman smith to gain the recognition she deserves, it's nothing compared to just living some times.

A well-researched medieval tale with a strong female lead and everything you could ever wish to know about sword-smithing, I agree with other reviewers that there does seem to be something missing here. For all the research and detail there is very little atmosphere - which could be a translation issue. The plot is also a little lacklustre as Ellen traipses here and there, never really learning from her mistakes.

At the end I was left feeling indifferent. Yes, Ellen does develop into a stronger person, but I never really liked her, and I wasn't sure what all the point of it was. It's all just a bit humdrum - the true action happens off-stage, without having any true impact on the story. There are plenty of good - even excellent - historical novelists writing out there already. This book in this form sadly doesn't really compare.

5.0 out of 5 stars OK actually, 19 Dec 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Medieval Saga, 7 Dec 2011
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This lengthy saga, which was translated from German as part of the Amazon Crossings programme, covers the life of Eleanweore for a period of a little over twenty years in the latter half of the 12th Century. Starting in East Anglia, Ellen is forced to flee from her home aged 12 and, initially disguised as a boy, she pursues her ambition of becoming a leading swordsmith. The adventure moves from Suffolk around various parts of France and then back to East Anglia.

I enjoyed this tale and got through this long book quite quickly as it grabbed my attention sufficiently that I really wanted to know what was going to happen to Ellen next. In some respects it is fairly simplistic as we have Thibault, a good, old fashioned villain who pops up to give Ellen trouble at intervals and in many ways it is a clear cut issue of black versus white or good versus evil. Personally I found the first half of the book more interesting than the second as there was quite a lot more action, and once Ellen is back in England, the pace seems to slow considerably. I did not find the very end of the book worked as well as most of the rest of this story. The author first gives us a fairly lengthy history lesson to set the final scene, which she does not feel the need to do elsewhere, then efficiently sets about tying up all the loose ends. However, it all seemed just a little bit too tidy for my taste.

I thought this was generally well translated from the original German, although from time to time little modernisms crept in which seemed just a little out of keeping. Ellen makes a convincing heroine and is a strong, ambitious woman, living at a time when there was strong and fairly widespread prejudice against women doing much apart from looking after the home and family. Although bad things, sometimes very bad things, happen to her, this is one of those stories where you know she is going to ultimately triumph. It certainly abounds with unlikely coincidences, although I did not feel that these features in any way detracted from the story.

I understand that the other two books in the trilogy, The Silver Falcon and The Golden Throne, will be translated in due course, and I look forward to reading them. The Silver Falcon at least picks up with the same characters which we got to know in The Copper Sign.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Copper Sign, 4 Dec 2011
A. V. Calvert (Thorne,Doncaster) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"Good Lord Ellenweore if only you were a boy.You were born a blacksmith"
The main theme of this story is how Ellenweore a blacksmiths daughter follows her dream to make the King a sword.Not just any old sword but one of quality and strength.
She follows her dream,falling in love,leaving home.She travels to France learning her chosen dream working with master craftsmen to make her name.
She also seeks her first love Sir William the advisor to the king.
I picked this book up and could not put it down it was so intriguing.The story is fast moving with the usual twists that life throws.A very good read.My partner also read this.He does not usually read books written by women but he too had a good surprise.He loved it and had to read it in one sitting.
I received this free for review.

3.0 out of 5 stars good, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Copper Sign (Kindle Edition)
Americanisms. would have been better if it didn't have the American spelling of words such as GOTTEN instead of got

5.0 out of 5 stars medieval imaginary novel, 14 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Copper Sign (Kindle Edition)
Good book-- great heroine with an interesting life-- and an unusual trade nowadays-- but not then- I enjoyed reading about how swords are made

The Copper Sign