5.0 out of 5 stars Whiteboard Ordered!
Published 15 months ago by Sohnee

Published 5 months ago by Paul Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Overlong for the content, feels quite repetitive, odd style. Useful, but not great., 31 Mar 2014
Paul Taylor (West of England, UK) - See all my reviews
I wouldn't say it's a waste of money, but it is definitely expensive for what it is. The key points are made quite early - there are only two of them! - and the rest of the book seems to approach the same stuff from multiple different angles with the useful bits drowning in about 60% excess verbiage as far as I can see. The basic idea is great - hence the 3 stars; the implementation here isn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Kanban, 20 Dec 2013
This review is from: Personal Kanban: Mapping Work | Navigating Life (Kindle Edition)
Looking at Kanban from a personal point of view is I feel a great way to start - rather than having to make it too strict or fit into existing workplace processes.

You can just try it, start to use it, adapt it, changing things round and the only person it will affect is you - if you have the discipline it the effect will be for the better!

4.0 out of 5 stars Applying Kanban both inside and outside work, 2 Sep 2013
J. S. Hardman "Consultant software developer ... (Near London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I work in a software development environment where we use both Scrum and Kanban at different times. Outside work, I've made do with an electronic diary/to-do list, managed using an application that I developed that does various useful things, including keeping the diary/to-do data on my PC synchronised with mobile devices, so that myself and my wife have access to our shared diary from our smart-phones etc. Having used Kanban at work, and having already read one book about Kanban (by Henrik Kniberg), I thought I'd read "Personal Kanban: Mapping Work, Navigating Life" to see if it offered any good ideas about how to organise my outside-work stuff even better than it already was.

"Personal Kanban" is an easy read, stretched over 194 pages (including index etc). I say stretched, as there are very wide margins on every page, and the text feels padded. A number of books that I have read about Lean/Agile techniques have been to-the-point, with no padding, and hence very short. I quite like that, and certainly found myself for the first third of this book wondering where the really useful content would be. If you are new to Kanban and Lean techniques in general, you may find the first bit more useful than I did as it is building up understanding of why techniques are useful as opposed to how to use them.

The latter part of this book felt much more useful, bringing together the Kanban idea of Work-in-Progress limits, the Time Management Matrix (which has been stuck to my whiteboard as a reminder for a few years already), metrics (possibly more useful in a work environment), Maslow's hierarchy of needs (anybody who has studied even introductory management will have seen that before), Subjective Well-Being, the Agile "retrospective" etc. The book does not prescribe one system for organising yourself based on all of those ideas, but shows some cases, and gives the reader things to experiment with. For me, the key thing I have taken away from this book is the difference between push and pull. That has been the big problem with the diary management software that I wrote a couple of years ago - it resulted in a lot of work being pushed into my queue for today, rather than me pulling things into today. I'll definitely be making a change to that functionality based on ideas from this book, limiting how many work items are automatically pushed into today. I think that will make managing the diary that myself and my wife use much more satisfying. I've also put together a project board in Excel, based on material from this book, to help visualise the work-in-progress and future work for my team at work.

So, possibly not the first Kanban book that I would recommend people to read, but definitely one that adds useful ideas to how people might use Kanban. So, even if you have read Kniberg's book, you might want to still read this one. Even with the feeling of padding, I still read it in one day, which has been a day well spent, both for personal and work use.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whiteboard Ordered!, 20 May 2013
I was using some ideas from Kanban already, but this book really explains the concept of Personal Kanban and the reasons it works. This isn't a "how to", it is a deep dive into the whys, which lets you create your own version of the "how". On top of all that, I have found the metaphors in this book really useful when explaining stuff back at work, where is where my use of Kanban originates!

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy read and good info, 15 Aug 2013
A good simple introduction to Kanban and getting out from under lengthy unmanageable to do lists. Very helpful, good examples and I am trying to put it into practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars As great start to thinking in the right way, 9 Aug 2013
Everybody should take time to read this one. Product delivery would then be harmonized and waterfall would die it's longstanding death.

4.0 out of 5 stars some great ideas to help sort EVERYTHING out!, 29 Jun 2014
Easy style of writing that gets great ideas across simply. Only thing left is for me to DO IT! David

5.0 out of 5 stars sensible suggestions in an easy-to-read format, 7 Jan 2014
Some books are a slog; not this. Simple, sensible, and easy to get through you can start making changes straight away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing concept and great book, 22 July 2013
I heard about Kanban from a friend and as I did more research I realised this would be perfect to implement in my home life and business. I am dyslexic and find planning and organising a very challenging thing to do. This book has been a wonderful guide into using this method and has been so helpful. I think Kanban is something everyone should know about and utilise in some way. This would be also be a great book to use with children too in organising their school routines to tidying their rooms. Can't say enough good things about Kanban and this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best personal organisation available, 17 May 2013
I have read quite a few books on personal organisation and time management but all appear to be aimed at someone else. Finally I have found a tool which is simple quick and flexible as wellas highly intuitive. This is a great little book which explains a method that I have taken to very naturally. It feels like I have been introduced to something really simple and fundamentsl. Just what I have been looking for.