4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Media Masterpiece
Published on 26 July 2009 by ClaireD

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing...
I bought this book because I was looking for some inspiration and info on techniques I could incorporate into my art sketchbook. Most of the techniques in this book involve taking a photograph and then altering it using different techniques such as monoprinting, bleaching, incorporating found objects, editing on your computer etc.

It's an OK book but I found...
Published on 30 Dec 2010 by Miss K

4.0 out of 5 stars Mixed Media Masterpiece, 26 July 2009
This book was one of the first books I bought when i decided to brand out from the world of 35mm & digital photography.. this is the book that got me into graphic design. It has a wonderful array of mixed media tools, instructions and pieces of art.. mostly derived from imagery. The author of the book is an Art teacher so all instructions are portrayed concisely. I love this book and it really helped me discover the type of artist i wanted to be. It was the beginning of a wonderful journey and I still refer back to this book regularly. A true find

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 23 Sep 2008
I loved this book, it is both inspirational and instructional. I continually go back to the book for ideas, inspiration and for practical help. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in collage or making stuff for the pleasure and connection it brings them.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing..., 30 Dec 2010
Miss K (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

It's an OK book but I found the featured work to be quite 'same-ey'. Does give you instructions for specific projects but they appear clumped together in a single paragraph and are difficult to grasp (I found myself having to read the paragraph several times to understand the steps involved). I don't see why the author couldn't just break up the instructions by numbering steps instead of having them appear as one big chunk - it's quite off-putting.

Overall, there are definitely some nice things to look at in this book but it's a bit of a let down. If you just want inspiration from other artists (no techniques described), try 1,000 Artist Journal Pages: Personal Pages and Inspirations which has a much better variety of finished work - there's examples of altered imagery but so many other things like illustration & mixed media work. As for finding a book that instructs well in conveying the art of altered imagery, I guess the hunts goes on for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but, 16 Nov 2010
This book does have some really good ideas for altering books. However, the author is American and quite a few of the products referred to are not immediately recognisable to an English reader, which seriously reduces an English crafter's/artist's ability to put all the ideas into practice. That said with access to the internet and some extra work, English versions can probably be found.

5.0 out of 5 stars Art Tequniques, 5 April 2009
Really great book. Lovely ideas. Has been used as inspiration for one of my GCSE Art students during her exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring book, 22 Oct 2007
V. Russell - See all my reviews
Full of excellent illustrations, ideas and inspiration for anyone interested in altered books and scrapbooks

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal if you want to do something different with your photos, 6 Oct 2011
I've been looking for different ways to sell my photos as well as incorporating them into other things like books and polymer clay. This book has given me lots of ideas that I can't wait to get started with. Some of the materials needed I've not heard of, but I'm not sure if that's beacause they're American or I just haven't come across them yet in the art/craft world.

The only small things I would have liked to see would be to see more original images before they were altered and maybe numbered steps or a bit more detail for some of the techniques. However, having read through a lot of the book already, I don't think this is a big problem.

Certainly a book to get you thinking creatively.

5.0 out of 5 stars altered images, 17 Jan 2011
Fantastic and very inspirational,not just for this type of application.Really enjoyed embarking on different tasks.Helped me polish my arts presentation!

4.0 out of 5 stars very good, 5 Jan 2011
Paola Ricci (italy) - See all my reviews
simple, easy projects using available meterials and very nice ideas.of course, the works you find in the book are all very personal and similar one another -the author has obviously her own style- but once you 've learned the few techniques you can create nice things your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars skectch book referance, 10 July 2009
D. Erkan "derry" (London-England) - See all my reviews
If you are new about sketchbook and dont know how to decorate you book this is very nice.I made many tips from this book and its really helpfull.