Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.19

on 28 February 2016
I have now just finished Borderline Dreamers, part two of the Landmine Chronicles trilogy and I enjoyed it more than Mind Bomb. I have come to these books a bit late, so it has given the author time for the third part to be released, yet it doesn't seem to be out there - does anybody know if and when the third is due?

This first book, Mind Bomb, is published by a small press and it is difficult for such books to get recognition in the wider book market. Publishing and which books succeed to get out there, can be aggressive; it is difficult for even very good books with something different to say. Conformative, more formulaic books are easier to sell. That said, Mind Bomb is a huge accomplishment, an engrossing read. With this background it's interesting reading the rarer low-star reviews for this author's book. There does seem to be some kind of sabotage going on. And as the book is so well written I can only assume there is a personal grudge or anti-drugs reasoning grinding some kind of antagonistic reaction. Anybody reading the books, aware of the high-quality writing, perceives the low star rantings as the babble of nonsense they are, not on level with the writings they pretend to critique. It's annoying, because these are books going against the tide and will have a difficult time to get out there to the wider reading public - why bother with such poor attacks? [That is why I am writing this as support. No, I have no author connections . . .]

Mind Bomb is a great book starting with individuals (twins) being thrown into the world, on a very remote Scottish Island. [The twins are separated early, giving them separate paths which eventually meet. Their relationship provides a strong structure throughout the two books and pays off wonderfully at the end of the second.] This beginning on a wild island where life is hard, but has its own beauty threw me by surprise. With the description of drugs and Cambodian landmines on the book's back cover blurb I thought I'd be reading a different book. This unusual beginning impressed me all the more, it's not a subject I would have chosen to read, but caught up in it, I found it engrossing.

And that is what is so compelling about Luke Mitchell's writing, he takes issues from a fresh angle. It's not just a drug book, that's why I liked it so much. Other 'druggy' books are totally consumed by their druggy subject matter and this is more than that. Yes, drugs are involved, but there more: the main character grows up in a tough environment where parents are OK, but eventually throw Angus out into a real world where he makes odd friends with fascinating characters, drugs, crime and eventually a trip to India all enfold the character, but always at the centre is the fascinating entwining of the twin characters and the development of Angus - quite a complex character.

Fun, funny, often moving, sometimes shocking, from remote places in the Middle East when the active fundamentalism of today was a thought to the enduring spiritualism of India, 'an exalted state of mind' . . . I do hope this gets to be a trilogy.
on 20 October 2011
a gripping read from start to finish.Funny and moving it leaves you half in stitches , half in tears. A must read.
on 28 December 2007
That very rare thing, a top-notch novel with a matchless and riveting storyline...Mind Bomb's theme is a ridiculously funny, tragi-comic take on the lives of twin brothers viewed by one of the twins as he sits on top of an unexploded bomb. It is one of the most original and gripping tales I've read in years. It has all of the right ingredients, a compelling narrative drive, unique structural skill, scenes of brilliant vividness and an ironic sense of humour running through each and every chapter. I slowed up when reading the last pages because I didn't want the story to end. My only disappointment is that the follow-up hasn't been published yet.
on 21 September 2010
Hat's off to you Mr Mitchell for such a palpably funny entertaining and quite magical story.The other reviewers give good background to the tale and I don't have to touch on those angles.Mitchell is writing from certain experience and delivers his insight to the methods and theories of modern ''spiritual'' practices and these are presented in a great tongue in cheek jocular fashion. The different shifts in time help this and the whole result is that the author brings us into the fabric of the story...he persuades the reader to go along with him. He's honest enough to let us into his own personality as becomes apparent in certain characters. Incorporated in the book is a chain of occurrences guaranteed to take the reader on an unbelievably exciting adventure in a fantastic and memorable series of intrigues
on 12 May 2009
Perhaps one of the strangest novels I have ever read, definitely one of the most taut and original. Crammed with witty observations, detail and whacky humour. Not a plot I will forget in a hurry, very symbolic indeed. I enjoyed Mind Bomb immensely.
on 12 December 2007
I became so engrossed in this novel that I found myself believing that the author was actually describing true events. The first chapter throws the reader into the deep end and at times I was wandering what was going on, who was who and what on earth was coming next. By chapter five I was absolutely hooked and from there on in the only time I put the book down was when I had to because I could not stop laughing. That said, the story is also quite tragic. There are some descriptions of violence that are very graphic but not overdone. The author deals with the subject of sex in an explicit and humorous style which had me in stitches. The book is well written and the storyline is exceptionally original. I would recommend this book to anyone who has an open mind, people who enjoy dark humour and young readers who want to know about the sixties drug culture. 5 stars. Sandra
on 3 January 2008
A remarkable read which had me hooked from beginning to end. Great characterization and absurd scenes from the Scottish Highlands to the violent streets of Glasgow. May well spark yet another sixties revival because the author makes it sound like those were the very best of times. Maybe he is right.
on 31 December 2010
For the subject dealt with I consider this to be an outstanding novel rivalling the best I have read from the genre..Trainspotting
on 27 August 2008
Although this is a work of fiction, i had the strangest of feelings that these characters do or did, exist and somehow the author has interwoven a cast of characters out of his own life and created a fantastic plot in which they star......uncanny...thoroughly good read...give me more like this.
on 20 December 2007
Hits the cosmic bullseye for those who seek an unusual page-turner spiced with hillarious sexual encounters, gritty violence, psychedelic drugs and acid-fueled rock and roll. The only plausible reason for setting down this provocative and quirky novel is to tell your friends about it. A dynamite read.