Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£11.39

on 17 December 2008
Bought this book as I decided to delve into the weird and wonderful world of tropical fish and all the information I kept getting from the local aquatic centres seemed to be confusing and contradictory.

For a beginner, its not a bad book at all. There is free information available on the internet but I wanted something I could refer to quickly and browse as and when I wanted to.

The contents cover everything you need to know but Im not convinced its laid out in the most logical of of order. However fishkeeping isnt an exact science so maybe thats why.

One word of warning....its written for our friends across the pond so many of the web sites suggestions are US based and irrelevant for the UK.
on 23 October 2010
This book didn't quite live up to my expectations. Although all the information you might need was right there, the relative lack of pictures or diagrams actually made some of the topics quite difficult. This is perhaps a general trend in the "for Dummies" series, but when selecting your fish for a new aquarium, or diagnosing a disease, I reckon that "a picture speaks a thousand words". After all, despite the technical knowledge required for fishkeeping, most people's excitement about starting a tank is choosing the colourful pets to go in it.

The do / don't sections are quite useful, and there's plenty of reading on chemistry and the nitrogen cycle. If you like a chatty style of writing rather than a simple encyclopaedia you'll like this book.

However, I much preferred The Perfect Aquarium: The Complete Guide to Setting Up and Maintaining an Aquarium for it's concise two-page spreads on particular topics, facts about each fish (e.g. what temperature they require), and practical walk-throughs for setting up a tank.
on 4 October 2010
My daughter wanted some fish for her birthday, and even though I kept fish as a teenager I wanted to ensure we got off to a good start with her new hobby, so we purchased this essential book.

The language used in the book is easy to understand, and the step by step instructions on all aspects of fish keeping, from the tank set-up to the purchasing of fish is easy to understand. There is also loads of useful information on topics such as keeping your fish healthy, adding plants to the aquarium and even breeding your fish.

Overall this is a very handy and easy to read guide to all aspects of fish-keeping as a hobby.

The only thing that kept if from receiving five stars is the lack of metric measurements. Most fish products in England are now sold using metric.
on 24 July 2009
This book is an excellent introduction to the world of freshwater aquariums. It's clear, well indexed and assumes you know nothing about the subject, thus makng it perfect for the begginer or novice.It covers everthing to start your aquarium from choosing stockists of equipment and fish to chemical composition of the water. The writing style is easy on the brain and quite amusing, whilst flagging the serious stuff you need to know.I really enjoy reading it !!
Only a harsh 4 stars , because it is quite american (the websites given are all for the U.S) and I would have preferred more speicies info and compatability, but, I suppose that's a whole new book.
In conclusion, if you are new to the subject, buy this book and get friendly with a couple of Aquarium stores to give you speicies guidance.
on 31 December 2009
This book is great for starting out and as a quick reference. Lets face it, everything you ever need to know is on the internet but sometimes there are just too many conflicting opinions. This I have found out to my detriment and killed a few fish in the process.

the book is geared towards the American market but if you know how to search in Google etc you will not have a problem fingding the products it recommends here in the UK.

Only downside is I would like to see it have a more comprehensive range of species and their compatibility with each other, Otherwise it's a perfectly decent book.
on 27 September 2013
Bought this book as I am relatively new to keeping fish. I wanted to know more about filters/water problems etc. Whilst the book does address these issues I wished for a little more depth.

To be honest if you have access to the internet you will find a lot more information on forum sites and a lot easier as well.
on 17 July 2013
This book isnt bad and has some good information. I used it along with another good book Aquarium Guide: Looking After Tropical Fish (Aquarium Guides) and now my aquarium is full of life and fish are happy. Well written.
on 28 July 2014
Rather to much emphasis on the dummy, written obviously for Americans uses imperial units gallons, pounds, Fahrenheit. Lacks some basic information. However it was quite useful, and the Kindel edition that I bought was good value
on 24 October 2012
As s someone who's very new to fish keeping, I really didn't know what I was doing. This book is such a relief! Tiny gripe : it's written for the US market, but the advice is ( fortunately) international.
on 30 November 2013
Perfect for beginners. Has good information inside and very detailed. I would recommend for people wanting to expand there knowledge and also buy before you attempt and aquarium.