4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, witty read
This is the first book I've read by Freya North in years - it certainly won't be the last. I found this a pleasure to read - sparkling, witty prose with likeable characters and a good plot.

The story is about Vita, trying to make a go of it alone in Pear Tree Cottage after a messy break-up with Tim. Unfortunately she and Tim own a business together - a gift...
Published on 22 Mar 2011 by Sukie

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy Going Quick Read
Devoured this in a couple of days distracting myself from the mayhem of my builders! Enjoyed previous books by Freya North and this was reasonably good. Vita is the main character who at times made me want to throw the book out the window. Most of the time she appears to be living in cloud cuckoo land - reading slushy novels rather than running her business - no wonder...
Published on 14 April 2011 by S. Lumley

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for the beach, 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: Chances (Kindle Edition)
Uplifting, cheery and romantic, perfect for the beach.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, light hearted chick-lit, 17 April 2012
Amazon Customer "i did" (Bucks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'Chances' is Freya North's 11th novel - and what a lovely one it is! Despite sadness in the two love interests' lives, it is a really upbeat book and the romance is charming (as oppose to some of the more 'saucy' chick-lit novels that I've come across recently).

The book is set in the countryside and has a lovely relaxed, romantic escapist feel. The writing of it coincided with Freya North's own move from town to country and her enthusiasm and inspiration really seeps through.

A recommended summer read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for my first Freya North book..., 8 Dec 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had never read a Freya North book so had no idea what sort of writing style she has or whether I would even like her book. The front cover of the book chances is nice, but if I am honest not nice enough to grab my attention from others in the bookshop. However, when I saw this offered through the Vine Programme I figured I would give it a go.

As soon as I picked up the book and started reading I realised that Freya has a wonderfully easy to read writing style. Irrelevant of subject matter I just liked the way the pages flowed so easily. The character Vita was quite likeable although I must admit I sometimes found her weakness a little irritating. Overall I still liked her character and could see that she was being portrayed as a woman that had little or no confidence.

As for the Tim her ex-boyfriend, he was somebody I loathed from the get go and that feeling didn't go away even when I finished the book. Oliver, the other lead character was the polar opposite and I fell in love with him instantly.

The one thing that stuck out for me with this book was that there were no surprises. There is no wondering what will happen as it is all played out very early on. This is more the story of a woman becoming a different person when circumstances change.

The other thing that stuck out was the sex scenes. Now I love both Chick Lit and Bonkbusters, however there is normally a pretty clear divide. I must say, this book is a mixture of both. It seems that the romance and flowers side of the story is well and truly covered, but then Freya kind of shocked me with adding some quite raunchy sex scenes in as well. It certainly doesn't bother me but I can imagine that some people that see the front cover and read the synopsis may be in for a shock!

Overall I really enjoyed the book, although it was a little predictable. However, I really really loved Freya's writing style and thoroughly enjoyed reading this. Overall this was a great book in my opinion and I will certainly be looking out for others now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and endearing, if a little predictable, 9 April 2011
Laura T (Bradford-on-Avon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fun and light novel to while away a long train journey or to read on holiday. Vita, our heroine, is dealing with the aftermath of a split from her unfaithful boyfriend Tim when her garden is besieged by wasps and parakeets, courtesy of her large pear tree. Enter tree surgeon Oliver who has a difficult past of his own to deal with... Reading this, it is clear how much Freya North has improved as a writer - I thought her early novels were truly awful, bordering on the unreadable (though I've enjoyed more recent efforts, such as 'Love Rules'). Oliver, and especially Vita, were charming, quirky and memorable characters and the prose is much better. Having said that, though, not much happens in this novel - it's very predictable and all ties together a little too neatly by the end. For the first half or so, I enjoyed the slow pace as it allowed for the gradual development of the characters and their relationships, but after that it grew a little irritating as it felt to a degree like artificial obstacles were being created to boost the word count. I also note that North hasn't quite got round to discarding her trademark cringeworthy sex scenes, although they were at least toned down a little here! Nevertheless, I would recommend this novel if you're in the mood for an old-fashioned love story, and aren't expecting too many twists and turns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Freya's best book to date, 22 Mar 2011
Jay Rainbow (bolton england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unusualy for a 'chic lit' novel I was hooked a few pages in. the description of Olivers grief really hit home and Freya North has described it perfectly. you long to know the story already, ive had a hard time putting the book down. If you enjoy reading and want a book with a little more depth to it then a standard holiday read then you'll really enjoy this one. I'm not even going to lend it out to people for fear I might not get it back to go on the bookshelf.
Freya's books are always good value and you cant go wrong with this easy to read heart warming story, thought the plot might be one youre familiar with the style of the book saves it and makes for a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 Aug 2014
This review is from: Chances (Kindle Edition)
A lovely heart warming tale

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Sep 2014
A good book easy read

5.0 out of 5 stars a horrid henry is nautay, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Chances (Kindle Edition)
I liked it when horrid henry was naughty to peter in the the story.His mum and dad telled him off

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best., 20 July 2012
This review is from: Chances (Kindle Edition)
I like Freya North and have read a few of her books, this is probably my least favourite. It was ok, but certainly not great and I found that I didn't really care about the main character and the ending was pretty predictable. Shame.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 17 July 2012
This review is from: Chances (Paperback)
I have read other books by Freya North but this one was so dull and predictable I couldn't be bothered to finish it............

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›