4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for price
Took me a little while to get used to this after my previous Tefal steam Generator but now am generally very pleased with it.
Advantages
Great value for money compared to others on market.
Good steam output and the iron plate so far seems much better at non stick than my previous.
Much quieter pump/compressor sounds than the Tefal - a definite plus if...
Published on 15 July 2011 by Rachiebobs

1.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs 17880 Steam Generator Iron
Published on 25 Jun 2011 by fifi

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for price, 15 July 2011
This review is from: Russell Hobbs 17880 Pressurised Steam Generator (Kitchen & Home)
Advantages
Great value for money compared to others on market.
Much quieter pump/compressor sounds than the Tefal - a definite plus if you like to listen to radio when ironing
Auto shut off after a few minutes, great safety feature
I like that the reservoir removes for filling (some others its fixed to the unit so you need to fill a jug first)

Disadvantages
Don't think the iron sits very securely on the unit, if you don't quite sit it right between the rubber grippers feel it could very easily get knocked off so you have to be careful when depositing it on rest between items. (my tefal also had a clip to secure it to base unit when not in use).
I think it takes longer to heat up/build up steam than the advertised 2 mins. I would leave it at least 5 or it can dribble and spit on you clothes.
The movement needed to press button to release the reservoir whilst pulling it away is a bit awkward and clumsy - be careful not to knock the iron off whilst you do this!

Once you are used to the disadvantages and take care/make allowances still a good iron for money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Russell Hobbs 17880 Steam Generator Iron, 25 Jun 2011
We purchased this as a replacement to my faithful steam generator iron I had. What a big mistake. It is without doubt the most dangerous item I have ever used to iron. It ships water out all over your clothese when ironing, it it spits water all over the floor, large amount of steam leaves the plate and the base plate - it is being returned to Amazon - if you are thinking of purchasing this DONT!!!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars DANGEROUS, 2 July 2013
Do not buy the RUSSEL HOBBS steam glide I bought as I thought what a great deal 199.99 to 79.99 but what a big mistake got it home did all that it said in the manual to set it up!
But it's so dangerous boiling hot water is poring out from the plate soaked my cloths ironing board and well watch your FEET. It's terrible and I will be sending it back the same day I bought it and changing manufacturers because I don't know how they can make something as dangerous as this!

1.0 out of 5 stars worst macine possible, 17 May 2013
I bought this to replace my old one which was a great generator but this one it is a terrible iron it sticks to everything

1.0 out of 5 stars dissatisfied, 28 May 2013
Bought this iron to replace a Philips Intellicare steam generator which lasted at least 8 years, despite ironing for a 5 people family.
How disappointing to see this model spitting brown scale on clothes as early as after 6 uses, just bought a month and a half ago!
I cannot believe either how much my new anti-scale cartridge is costing: 7.50, when I never had to buy cartridges at all for my previous one, which simply needed rinsing on a regular basis.
I have only found one provider for these cartridges, so I guess I was a fool to be seduced by its low price, without checking customers' opinions first.
I am not sure how long this steam generator will last but it is too light and not sturdy + the device for pressing for steam should be better placed (under the handle)rather than on top, as it makes handling the iron rather awkward and therefore unsafe.

1.0 out of 5 stars NO REPLACEMENT FILTER CARTRIDGES AVAILABLE, 9 Jan 2013
Russell Hobbs 17880 Pressurised Steam Generator PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS MACHINE, AFTER JUST A COUPLE OF MONTHS THIS MACHINE STARTS POURING OUT AND SPITTING DISCOLOURED WATER ALL OVER YOUR CLOTHES SO THAT THEY HAVE TO BE WASHED AGAIN.
FILTER CARTRIDGES CANNOT BE BOUGHT FOR THIS, WHICH MAKES IT A WHITE ELEPHANT, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY.

1.0 out of 5 stars How can they continue to sell these?, 25 July 2012
Bought this iron in April, its now July and its started putting out scale through the sole plate, soaking clothes,the ironing board and the floor with scalding water and also putting out tea coloured water to mark the clothes. Mine only gets used once a week at most but I guessed it is time to replace the anti scale filter and clean out the tank. This is the most high maintenance steam generator I've had, its my third. You can probably say the problems are due to it needing a service but here's the rub - the anti scale filters are no longer available for this model, none available on Amazon or Ebay, the manufacturer's site doesn't mention irons or steam generators in the spares section and other spare parts websites list the filter for this 17880 as discontinued by the manufacturer. So, how come they are still selling these things if the consumables are no longer available? I think its a rubbish steam generator iron, ergonomically its the wrong way around for a right handed person, the lead from the generator to the iron is not that long and comes out of the left side of the body and the power on the right, I have to use it with the reservoir tank pointing towards me, in other words backwards. I'm going to phone Russell Hobbs service department tomorrow maybe they'll be able to point me in the direction of a filter or maybe not but even if they can, I'm not happy about lack of the general availability because if I can get one, I'm going to end up paying through the nose for it.

I'd really recommend you give this iron a miss and buy another make but if you still want to go ahead and buy one, do yourself a favour and make sure you're going to be able to get a filter for it as pretty soon you're going to need one. Last point, its really noisy when pumping water from the reservoir to the pressure tank a real pain if you like to watch tv whilst ironing!

Give this model a miss - you know it makes sense!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy Russell Hobbs!, 25 Jan 2012
Although the steam generator works well as an iron, the test of a good manufacturer and its customer services is what happens if or when something goes wrong

After only a few months the push button broke, so the iron was no longer able to generate steam. Russell Hobbs advised that the iron must be returned to them for service. I emphasized that I could quickly and easily replace the flimsy plastic push button if they sent it in the post; but they outright refused to. The value of the button could not possibly exceed 3 but they expected me to foot the cost of returning the iron to them costing closer to 30. Although this is a top of the range product selling for almost 200 the push button clearly has a design flaw. To make matters worse it is impossible to source the button elsewhere, either on the high street or online as Russell Hobbs do not supply spares

You have been warned

5.0 out of 5 stars Top quality iron, 19 Aug 2013
Fantastic product , the 1 and only thing I can say that my says is wrong is that it's water holder isn't big enough , but a 2 lt bottle next to you does the trick ;)
If your thinking of buying 1 , click 'buy' its well worth the money ;)

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough, 22 Oct 2012
I worked my way through 3 more expensive steam generators before trying this one, all of which were supposed to have calc control features and all of which turned to stone within 2 years. This time around I decided to use deionised water right from the start. In spite of the extra expense of the special water, the iron is still doing quite well and unlike its predecessors is not making naughty deposits on my laundry. Right from new, however, this steam generator has had the annoying habit of getting stuck when filling its internal reservoir from the external reservoir. The pump stays on until the boiler is turned off and on again. This problem has never grown any worse though, and I could not be bothered with returning it for repair or replacement.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›