5.0 out of 5 stars A must read

3.0 out of 5 stars Very different and raises lots of questions
Published on 23 Nov 2011 by Lainy

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
I dont want to spoil any of the fun for you, but this series I was unable to put down. Patti Roberts draws you into her wonderful world of magic and keeps you enthralled and wanting more. If you are looking for an unforgetable read, then you found it. I would give it 100 stars if i could. The price is right, and i can think of no better gift to get for yourself then book one of the Paradox series. One page and you will be hooked on the series/

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 7 July 2012
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
The series just gets better as the author establishs the characters. Once you get your head around the interactivity of 2 worlds the premise is very clever and original, can't wait for the next installment and further revelations.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Appetizer..., 26 Jun 2012
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
This first novel in the "Paradox Series" Paradox - The Angels Are Here is without doubt a masterpiece. Patti Roberts has us all wondering what will happen next.. And I for one will be eagerly awaiting the release of each novel in the series as and when it's published, a brilliant piece of literary wizardry. Wanted to give this five Stars ***** but I have a feeling the next one in the series Paradox - Progeny Of Innocence will be even better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very different and raises lots of questions, 23 Nov 2011
Lainy (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
If you thought after reading the blurb you would get your answers in this book you would be wrong, if anything I ended up with more questions. We go from the Ancient World (or planet) to the present day. From a family of murderous and magnificent beings(they could be vampires or fallen angels) to what is seemingly a normal family who have at least one Angel with them for a time. Grace is a little girl who is having flashbacks to previous lives which noone knows about and is trying to make sense of them.

The family of ?Angels are brutal killers fighting to make their mark in their own world over the other family, beings who are very sexual with each other and also aggressive. They want the girl from our time and send members of their family to get her and bring her back alive.

Book 1 is basically a base layer, I honestly think book two will answer a lot of questions and fill in the huge blanks and questions that arise reading the first. I really enjoyed the flashbacks of Juliette and Abaddons family and their antics. Wondering what did cause the war and where is this much loved and feared brother and what is his role going to be. What really happened to Graces father and what is the story with Angela and her dog, and is there more to Wade than meets the eye.

So many questions but the parts of the story we are given are really good but I think once part two is read the story will take shape and so much will be explained. They say a writer should leave their readers wanting more so I would say job very well done but I would have liked to have known just a bit more for my first book. Frustrating but enjoyable so 3/5 for me and I will be looking out for the next volume to hopefully have my questions answered and at least some of the mysteries explained.

Thanks to the author for giving me a copy of this to read, it is available for the kindle and in paperback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, very original, 12 May 2011
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
Having read Paradox - The Angels Are Here, I feel I've been left with a different world view on angels, heaven and spirituality. There is no easy way to sum up the plot, so I shall just say that the story focuses on two elements: one being the war between the different angel houses and how they interact with humans. Some are good, others are evil, and so they fight each other in their quests to become the stronger house. The second part focuses on Grace, a little girl who's gone through a lot in life, and whose life is about to be turned upside down.
While the angels' part focuses on world building and description and setting a solid background for the next books in the series, Grace's part emphasises her emotions based on a deep loss, her relationship with her family and the actions that rise into a dramatic crescendo, inevitably leading to an ending that will leave you wanting to read the book all over again because you just couldn't see it coming.
There's no doubt Patti Roberts is someone who knows how to build strong characters and a vivid setting. I liked the darker side of some of the angels. It was a unique and convincing way to view spirituality and the angels' role within humanity. I also liked how they were connected to Grace and Grace's role within the larger picture. Some questions were left unanswered, which I feel was necessary in order to be able to explore those in detail in books to follow.
All in all, this was a great first book in the series with interesting characters that invite further exploration. It was a touching read that I would recommend to all fantasy readers, and I eagerly await the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed this book, 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
I wont get heavily into the plot as the other reviews do, as I don't want to give anything away to spoil your enjoyment of reading and coming to your own conclusions on the book and plot. I agree with the other review in that you see a different side than you normally do to angels. Usually they are depicted all sweetness and light,doing only good deeds, whereas in this book we see some of the darker angels such as Abbadon ~ angel of destruction. Also Grace goes through flashbacks to past lives, so that i found an interesting part of the book.
The book is well written though does contain the odd typo, not that that distracts or takes away any of the enjoyment of reading the book.
Definitely worth the money to download.
I have sat and read this book in one day, and am eager and interested to find out what happens next in the Paradox series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradox Is Confusing In A Good Way :), 4 July 2014
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
This series must be read in order. This is the first book.

This was a great start to an awesome new series! The time jumping and world jumping was great... You just had to pay attention. It felt a bit odd to me to be reading an adult book about a little kid but once I got past the strangeness of it I thought it was awesome. Who needs backstory when the tale starts so early? It was very interesting to watch as Grace grew up and the challenges just kept coming. She knows she's special but has no idea how or why and all she wants is to be normal and have friends. I found that very relateable even if the character was only 6 :)

I really do not know how to classify this book into a genre other than maybe fantasy. Many bits are historical while others are close to modern. There is tragedy and suspense along with quite a bit of mystery . I would recommend this book to fantasy and paranormal enthusiasts alike. I can't wait to read the next book Paradox - Progeny Of Innocence (bk2) (The Paradox Series)!

***This series is suitable for adult readers only due to mature subject matter and twisted characters :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralled, Captivated, 29 Nov 2013
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
I found myself unable to leave Grace. I wanted to continue with her life and know what came next.

Lots of tears to begin with especially as I'm very close to my father. I admired the strength of 12 year old Grace.

Can't wait to read the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
This is an amazing book that as my title of this review says, is thought provoking. It's about the battle between good and evil, but surprisingly the evil isn't the devil, it's one of the ruling Royal Houses of Altair (heaven) the Grigori. They have an unquenchable thirst for human blood and the incredible power obtained from the human soul. So much so that they rise up in war against the Bulguardi, the other Royal House of Altair. The story and the series is about the Bulguardi's battle to win back Altair and protect the mortals from the evil Grigori and keep them safe once again.

The story is told by Juliette, who died 900 years ago and has been reincarnated many times. This time she is reincarnated into a little girl Grace. Grace is different from the other bodies she has 'shared' because she has horrific visions of Juliette's past but can't understand why she is having them. Other characters in this book that I like are Hope, Grace's guardian angel, and Tia Lilly who is the angel of death. She's not anything like a grim reaper, she's a beautiful red headed girl who comes to give you peace as you pass away and then takes your soul to where it has to go. You will have to read the book to find out where.

Patti Roberts writes with an incredible descriptive talent, you can picture yourself in the scenes among the characters which makes the book so enjoyable to read. You become compassionate and friends with the good guys, and you boo and hiss and can't stand the bad ones. You can't help but get involved with the story. There are some tear jerking moments but also a nice balance of light heartwarming moments which make the book a pleasure to read.

I think anybody who enjoys reading paranormal books, but especially thought provoking ones, the ones that get you to question what happens at death and after it, will enjoy this book and the series.

2.0 out of 5 stars An okay read, but not for me., 6 Sep 2013
This review is from: Paradox - The Angels Are Here (Kindle Edition)
The premise and the concept of this novel was one that I was really intrigued by and one that I was actually really looking forward to reading, therefore it is with sadness that I write this review. While others have loved, and I expect will love, this novel, it simply was not the right read for me. Personally I found it just too difficult to fully become attached to the story and just could not get myself invested in the story that was being told to me. This was unfortunate as I really did want to like this book.

That being said, this book did have its good moments. I deliberated between giving it a two or three stars before eventually deciding that two better suits my personal feelings towards the book. However, it was an interesting read and one that I was able to get through in just a couple of days. It wasn't too long and was fairly easy to read, although it was quite difficult to get my head around some of the parts and I was left utterly confused as the novel continued its journey until, by the end, I simply felt at a loss. There are thoughts in my head on what could be happening which is quite interesting and is definitely a good way to lead into a sequel but I personally prefer to have most of the details in front of me. A first book, to me, should set up the story for the upcoming novels.

I did like seeing the world through Grace's eyes. It was certainly a refreshing scene to view the world as though I was a twelve year old girl instead of the usual sixteen-eighteen year olds that I've been reading lately! I also loved how the middle section of the book worked, but I think that this is possibly because there was little angel interaction that was confusing or unexplained. I really liked Officer Wade and would read the next book just to see how that turns out because I think that is an especially interesting part of the storyline!

I did also enjoy seeing the angels from the evil side interacting with each other, but I also felt that they just didn't seem evil enough to me. I know that it could have been a bit hard to get that dark feeling across but I just felt that they didn't seem like they were dark enough for my tastes. But this is just a personal preference and others could feel that they're perfectly evil for their likings. I believe the problem I had was just how little I connected with these characters, I didn't despise them or love them, they were just there and it was a struggle to really see their purpose in the story. Of course, it is possible that this will come to light in the next novels of the series but for this one, it just didn't work for me.

All put together this was an okay read. It wasn't anything that really captivated my attention and it wasn't a story that made me want to read the next instalment straight away but it was one that I am glad I read and one that I will probably try and continue, just to see if it ties everything together for me. If you've read to hear and are still wondering about my two stars, I feel I should justify once more that I just did not connect to this story at all. Perhaps the problem was the hype surrounding it and so I was expecting more, but either way, I just found it difficult to really get attached to story so while there are elements of the story that I enjoyed and liked, there were large quantities that I found disinteresting and just hard to like.

I received this book for review from the Goodreads group `Shut up and Read's Read it & Reap and am glad that I was given the opportunity. I would recommend this book to people that like angel stories but perhaps have a wider knowledge of them then this reviewer!

Paradox - The Angels Are Here